How do you ride?

I ride with my dominant foot forward all the time and haven't thought about this before
No votes
I ride with my dominant foot forward and drop my outside foot down on smooth corners to make me fast like a Ferrari
13%
I ride with either foot forward and don't have a preference in corners
No votes
I ride with my dominant foot forward(with or without my outside foot down on smooth corners) and have tried to ride ambidextrously, but its too hard
13%
I learnt how to ride ambidextrously, but found it wasn't worth the effort and have gone back to riding with my dominant foot forward
No votes
I ride with my outside foot forward on rough ground/corners and my outside foot down on smooth corners, it makes me a ridiculously styley rider
31%
I don't believe in riding technique, I ride foot out, flat out with heaps of back brake round the corners
44%

Total voters : 16

How Do You Ride Your Bike?

Postby KieranC on Fri 10/Apr/15 7:50pm

Hello Vorbers,
In recent years I have been tinkering with my riding technique, mostly it has lead me to clear well defined answers of how best to ride. However in the in the field of lower body/foot and pedal positions I have tried a different ideas like riding ambidextrously.

Nearly every video of pro riders I can find shows them blasting down hills with a dominant foot forward, pedals horizontal. Every now and then they might mix it up drop their outside foot for a flat ground turn.

Is this non-ambidextrous technique the best way to ride?

Personally I have trained myself into riding ambidextrously, On bumpy corners I have my outside foot forward and on flat corners I drop my outside foot down. If there is a jump/drop I will lead with which ever foot happens to be forward at the time(cranks horizontal). This way my feet, hips, shoulders and head all point where I want to go- around corners.

The only draw backs I can think of is the amount of time it takes to switch(which is negligible if you pedal forward and get extra speed) and the time it takes to learn.

What do you all do?

any other ideas?
Last edited by KieranC on Sat 11/Apr/15 4:56pm, edited 2 times in total.
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: How Do You Ride Your Bike?

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 10/Apr/15 7:59pm

All corners cept flat corners... outside foot forward

Flat corners outside foot down.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby KieranC on Fri 10/Apr/15 8:05pm

Shmoo, does it puzzle you why more people don't ride like that?
KieranC

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 10/Apr/15 8:10pm

I only started riding like that after a buddy who had done a skills clinic in Aussie showed me.... makes the bike WAY moar stable in the fast corners.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby KieranC on Fri 10/Apr/15 8:14pm

sweet, did you find it easy enough to change?
KieranC

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 10/Apr/15 8:25pm

nah, still have to think about it
shmoodiver

Postby ShoreBoy on Fri 10/Apr/15 8:56pm

I've tried what Shmoo said, but tend to over-concentrate and fuck all my lines etc up. So I tend to give up and accept my medocrity
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Farm on Fri 10/Apr/15 9:01pm

i thought about this at the weekend.
I drop my outside foot on flat corners and dominant foot back on everything else.
I hadn't really noticed until I approached a series of little drops and berms a bit fast and had my dominant foot forward and it felt really uncomfortable.
I can see how weight on the forward foot is preferable but currently it feels weird.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 10/Apr/15 9:09pm

Maybe less about weight on forward foot (both feet are on a pivot after all) and more about forward foot angling the hips into the corner.
I've been playing around with this for years, no great flashes of insight, but some perceived improvement in riding.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"

Postby AgrAde on Fri 10/Apr/15 9:15pm

Feet are always changing height through a corner, but the front foot never ends up at the back. The flatter or looser the corner the more I'll drop the outside foot I think, to give my body/hips better placement and the bike a bit more movement. A berm they'll probably be more level.

I corner just as fast and confidently both ways.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 10/Apr/15 9:24pm

I ride with my non-dominant foot forward more often than not. HTH.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 10/Apr/15 9:31pm

I constantly switch between dominant and non dominant.

Also I ride a fixie.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mbl77 on Sat 11/Apr/15 4:50am

Dominant foot most of the time, but I also drop (and weight) my outside foot on every corner. The amount just varies based on how quickly the next opposite corner is coming. Also on off-camber sections I'll drop and weight the foot on the lower side.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 11/Apr/15 8:40am

Left foot forward when standing so the square taper BB doesn't get reverse thrust. Just one of those obsessional habits.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 11/Apr/15 12:44pm

outside foot down, inside foot off pedal and heaps of rear brake
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts