Recommend Me A Roof Carrier

Postby dwgknz on Thu 12/Mar/15 12:37pm

Too many kids means too much crap which has resulted in the purchase of a roof box.

On the upside this means I now have the bars for mounting a couple of bike carriers on the qashqai.

What are some good value options for bike carriers and what am I looking for?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Re: Recommend Me A Roof Carrier

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 12/Mar/15 3:15pm

Thule.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby globe on Thu 12/Mar/15 7:28pm

^^^^ this
globe
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby spiderweb on Thu 12/Mar/15 7:36pm

Prorack whispbar - cheaper than Thule and just as good. Prorack is now part of Yakima which are a US brand whereas Thule is European.
For squatty boxes - Thule as a little more aerodynamic, but for longer/larger boxes either brand is good.
spiderweb
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 12/Mar/15 8:02pm

spiderweb wrote:Prorack whispbar - cheaper than Thule and just as good. Prorack is now part of Yakima which are a US brand whereas Thule is European.
For squatty boxes - Thule as a little more aerodynamic, but for longer/larger boxes either brand is good.

Prorack better have improved their quality control, have seen some awful assembly blunders with them, also their old model Kayak racks were shite.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby spiderweb on Thu 12/Mar/15 9:04pm

Percy Pig wrote:
spiderweb wrote:Prorack whispbar - cheaper than Thule and just as good. Prorack is now part of Yakima which are a US brand whereas Thule is European.

Prorack better have improved their quality control, have seen some awful assembly blunders with them, also their old model Kayak racks were shite.

If you get whispbar - all good as that is the new gear. I and a friend have got their bars and more than happy with them.
Can't speak on kayak racks - I would tend to go for Thule for accessories, as I did with our box.
spiderweb
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 12/Mar/15 9:55pm

Very dependant on the roof really. If it's like 130m square then I'd chop it in half and throw it
on a couple of flat bed trucks.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby davidg on Fri 13/Mar/15 7:58am

Thule ones are awesome but rather than getting ripped by the NZ distributors and paying more than $300 each just order them from Winstanley bikes in the UK and get them landed for half the price.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/39872/Thule_ProRide_591_Upright_Cycle_Carrier
davidg
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 13/Mar/15 9:04am

shmoodiver wrote:Very dependant on the roof really. If it's like 130m square then I'd chop it in half and throw it
on a couple of flat bed trucks.

:lol: :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Conners on Fri 13/Mar/15 9:28am

dwgknz wrote:Too many kids means too much crap which has resulted in the purchase of a roof box.

What did you go for with the roof box?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 13/Mar/15 2:19pm

Conners wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Too many kids means too much crap which has resulted in the purchase of a roof box.

Rhino rack 440l, rang nissan looking for the bars that sat on the triangular factory roof rails and they were overstocked due to a Xmas sale. Got bars and box at about 40% off.
dwgknz

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 13/Mar/15 10:42pm

davidg wrote:Thule ones are awesome but rather than getting ripped by the NZ distributors and paying more than $300 each just order them from Winstanley bikes in the UK and get them landed for half the price.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/39872/Thule_ProRide_591_Upright_Cycle_Carrier

Or if you prefer not to clamp (carbon) tubes and (a bit) easier mounting.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... le_Carrier
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 13/Mar/15 10:46pm

dwgknz wrote:
Conners wrote:

Rhino rack 440l, rang nissan looking for the bars that sat on the triangular factory roof rails and they were overstocked due to a Xmas sale. Got bars and box at about 40% off.

nice
my rhinos are GREAT
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Tue 17/Mar/15 8:58pm

How much space do I need for a bike carrier? There's about 300mm on each side of the roof box, can I put a bike on each side?
dwgknz

Postby dwgknz on Wed 18/Mar/15 1:49pm

davidg wrote:Thule ones are awesome but rather than getting ripped by the NZ distributors and paying more than $300 each just order them from Winstanley bikes in the UK and get them landed for half the price.

Just made some calls - $320ish each in NZ or $271 for 2 from Winstanley's.

As my options for buying these seem to be kayak or mag & turbo stores I think I'll order online and use the extra to support a lbs......
dwgknz

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts