Which Tyres For Karapoti 2015?

Postby dwgknz on Thu 5/Mar/15 8:08am

Nah just jokes guys.

Who's riding on Saturday and are you looking forward to it?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Which Tyres For Karapoti 2015?

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 5/Mar/15 12:06pm

I'm riding, somewhere back in the pack with the weekend warriors. Likely in a yellow and black retro looking Ultimo top. Yes, I'm looking forward to it but expecting to struggle a bit as I haven't done enough endurance type riding this year.

An old school friend is coming up from Christchurch to do it too, he'll be flying around in the pro-elites.

Hope the rain holds off till the afternoon! On MetVUW it looks like it just about might...
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 5/Mar/15 12:42pm

Bit of rain forecast for tomorrow though. Just enough to deepen the rivers and 'slicken' the rock garden.

I'll be there for my 6th time.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:22pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Bit of rain forecast for tomorrow though. Just enough to deepen the rivers and 'slicken' the rock garden.

I'll be there for my 6th time.

yeah 13mm at 4pm not looking good.

Just my 2nd time, first with some decent hill riding behind me.
dwgknz

Postby mfw on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:38pm

How many bottles u taking? :eh:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:47pm

It's going to rain apparently, so I'll just suck the rainwater from my hipster moustache.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Postby dwgknz on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:54pm

mfw wrote:How many bottles u taking? :eh:

(4 hours/.75hours x 71kg/75kg x 0.5l)/0.7l = 3.60635 bottles (or 2.5244444444444l)
dwgknz

Postby dwgknz on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:55pm

OliverBendix wrote:It's going to rain apparently, so I'll just suck the rainwater from my hipster moustache.

that's a way better answer
dwgknz

Postby dragon_style on Thu 5/Mar/15 10:11pm

I'll be crawling around it - was concerned about my lack of fitness even before filling up with snot and phlegm over this week. I can't offer any wisdom on tyres as last time I did it was 10 years ago but I've just taken off the 2.4 Ardent front/2.35 High Roller rear combo I've had since May and put on 2.1 Maxxis Advantages. Was almost 3 minutes faster up the Tip Track on a windy day and I didn't feel I was having a great day so I'm going to go with them. Apart from it not being very confidence inspiring looking down on a skinny tyre they seemed fine coming back down Barking Emu, Car Parts etc.

I do remember the drink stops being very crowded and slow last time so plan on carrying all the liquid and food I'll need so I don't have any reason to stop the little forward momentum I'll have.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Swamphen on Fri 6/Mar/15 10:13pm

The best tyre for Karopoti is Shwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 120 TPI with Snakeskin sidewall protection - running tubeless. A bit over 600 grams for 29er (about 100 grams more than the none snakeskin but you don't wanna go there). I have run these the last three years - best balance of grip, weight, durability and rolling resistance. I'm pretty sure Anton Cooper runs this setup front and back so I think that says it.
Swamphen
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 6/Mar/15 10:20pm

Anton Cooper runs what his sponsors tell him to.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 6/Mar/15 11:30pm

wachtourak wrote:Anton Cooper runs what his sponsors tell him to.

Doesn't he know about sharpies?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 7/Mar/15 5:11pm

I would've thought ardents were the right choice on the day but had an off on the last rock drop on Rock Garden (I could spit as far as the end of it) and a much bigger more spectacular one on the dopers downhill. 4:15 in the end which wasn't that bad considering I rolled for the last 15km.

Nursing some big grazes and bruises tonight.

Oliver - did I see you in the yellow and black fixing a puncture at the top of the gorge?
dwgknz

Postby sifter on Sat 7/Mar/15 7:25pm

I was very happy with an Ardent/Icon combo...

Good to see BrokenKonaRider heading up onto the podium for fastest cyclocross lap too :thumbsup:
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby OliverBendix on Sat 7/Mar/15 8:02pm

dwgknz wrote:I would've thought ardents were the right choice on the day but had an off on the last rock drop on Rock Garden (I could spit as far as the end of it) and a much bigger more spectacular one on the dopers downhill. 4:15 in the end which wasn't that bad considering I rolled for the last 15km.

Nursing some big grazes and bruises tonight.

Oliver - did I see you in the yellow and black fixing a puncture at the top of the gorge?

ouch. You in blue, grey and bleeding?

Yes I was fixing a puncture there, one of five I had today. Suffice to say I had a bit of a crap ride performance wise! Spent about half an hour sitting on a ute at one point cos I'd run out of tubes and my patches weren't sticking in the rain.

I had fun tho, after the first couple of punctures it became an adventure ride rather than a race. And I didn't fall off which is good as we're going to Womad next week and I was forbidden to get hurt.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Cycling | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts