Gps Gadgets For Bikes Advice

Postby pantani1 on Wed 4/Mar/15 8:20pm

I am after a gps to do some road riding in Europe(Italy), I get lost going down to the corner dairy, so just want a good reliable easy to use gps to give me good instructions while riding , not so worried about watts heart rate etc.Am I just as well off using my iphone 5 or would i be better going for a cycling specific garmin 1000 or similar,wonder if you techy types out there can help?
pantani1
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Gps Gadgets For Bikes Advice

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 4/Mar/15 9:10pm

I asked a similar question a few months back and because I didn't want to record data the consensus seemed to be something like a Garmin E-trex type device, rather than the bike models
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby jo on Wed 4/Mar/15 9:41pm

I think for instructions/directions you may as well just use your phone. Eats the battery tho.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby pantani1 on Wed 4/Mar/15 9:58pm

Thanks, just seen your similar thread Pushbike,will check those out.Iphone with maps is not bad,but battery could definitely be an issue,also I suppose that would chew through data which could get expensive when away.
pantani1

Postby Rik on Wed 4/Mar/15 10:09pm

google maps app. allows you to cache maps offline, that should save you data when out on the move.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby R+P+K on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:03pm

Rik wrote:google maps app. allows you to cache maps offline, that should save you data when out on the move.

If you go the phone route, try Nokia's HERE Maps. They have offline maps and very accurate down to speed zones.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby OliverBendix on Thu 5/Mar/15 1:20pm

I have an Etrex20 which I use tramping with free NZ topo maps and boating with paid NZ charts but for road navigation I find Google Maps on my phone a much better interface. The Etrex can do turn-by-turn instructions but the address input (text via joystick) is very clunky and slow.

The Etrex is waterproof, fairly bombproof, and the batteries (aa) last ages but the little joystick control is a pain. Phone is waterproof but not bombproof and battery runs out, but touchscreen and big pictures are much nicer to deal with.
OliverBendix
"Punter"

Postby philstar on Thu 5/Mar/15 4:15pm

pantani1 wrote:,but battery could definitely be an issue,also I suppose that would chew through data which could get expensive when away.

power bank will solve the battery issue, as for data Google maps and cashing is one way, or there are a couple of apps with inbuilt maps but have not used them myself.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby deliverance on Sat 7/Mar/15 4:12pm

Buy yourself a garmin, you won't regret it.
deliverance
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Sun 8/Mar/15 4:38pm

The etrex20 is only about $220 now.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 8/Mar/15 4:59pm

I use an eTrex 20 as my tramping GPS. As others have said, it's a pretty bombproof and cheap option for when you want detailed, colour topo maps. I second what OliverBendix said about the joystick operation being a bit of a pain to use. It's pretty slow.

They're not puppy proof though...

Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Tue 24/Mar/15 3:30pm

Just figured out how to set up the etrex to toggle between map and trip screens (99% of its use) when the back button is pressed. No need to use the joystick for page navigation!
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Computers + Heartrate Monitors - Latest Posts