Professional Cycling, Keeping It Classy

Postby Kev on Thu 26/Feb/15 1:29pm

Publicity for this year’s E3 Harelbeke with its tagline, “Who squeezes them in Harelbeke?”

e3.jpeg

Seems to be generating the press attention they obviously crave
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/100-tours-100-tales/2015/feb/25/sexism-cycling-e3-harelbeke-poster-shame
"Only in cycling could a sexual assault inspire a race’s advertising strategy " - The Guardian

The International Cycling Union UCI wants nothing to do with the poster. "We have indeed received telephone from the UCI. They have asked to remove their logo. They want to be associated with the campaign," says Jacques Cousens, communications manager of the E3 Harelbeke, in Het Nieuwsblad.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Profession Cycling, Keeping It Classy

Postby weetbicks on Mon 2/Mar/15 7:29pm

Got my attention, I'd say it was a success.
weetbicks
Member for: 5 years 0 months

Postby weetbicks on Fri 24/Apr/15 10:00pm

Speaking of classy (and to not create a new thread).....

https://twitter.com/Greghenderson1/status/591350302474899456

Greg Henderson tells it like it is, good to see a kiwi in the Peleton shooting from the hip
weetbicks

Postby Kev on Sat 25/Apr/15 6:20am

And now it's gone...

VeloNews picked up the story:
Fabio Aru (Astana) will pursue legal action against Lotto-Soudal’s Greg Henderson for inflammatory and accusatory Tweets posted by the Kiwi rider late Thursday. The Tweets suggested that Aru’s recent virus was cover for a biological passport violation.

A statement on Aru’s website said, “Regarding the statements published on 23 April, 2015 on the Twitter profile of Greg Henderson, Fabio Aru has appointed a lawyer … in order to take legal action against the New Zealand rider to protect his image and his respectability.”

Henderson Tweeted twice, first implying that Aru of used the stomach virus that took him out of the Giro del Trentino this week to cover up a biological passport problem.

Sad to see @FABARO1 “sick”. Mate make sure next time u come back to our sport “healthy”. Aka. Clean! #biopassport! Or don’t come back!

— Greg Henderson (@Greghenderson1)

Henderson’s second Tweet expressed his exasperation with dopers, and suggested that news of violations spreads quickly within the pro peloton, even before it is released publicly.

I am so sick of it. It becomes common knowledge within days. Why try cheat

— Greg Henderson (@Greghenderson1)

Both Tweets have since been deleted from Henderson’s account.

Henderson apologized this morning, again on Twitter:

When you are sick. You are sick. Jumping to conclusions helps nobody. My mistake @FabioAru1. I should shut my mouth. Sincere apologies.

— Greg Henderson (@Greghenderson1) April 24, 2015

Vincenzo Nibali, Aru’s teammate, weighed in early Friday morning, following Henderson’s apology. It’s easy to apologize after, he said, but the image damages need to be considered as well.

troppo facile chiedere scuse dopo !! Bisogna chiedere i danni d'immagine!!

— Vincenzo Nibali (@vincenzonibali) April 24, 2015

Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby weetbicks on Sat 25/Apr/15 3:18pm

I'd say Henderson was forced to apologise by team bosses to try and limit the damage..... but in reality I'd believe his original tweet, there seems to be lots of well timed illnesses in pro cycling
weetbicks

Postby happybaboon on Sat 25/Apr/15 4:30pm

He should try and get out of any sanctions by claiming he had a sudden ~48 hour period of extreme psychosis and had no idea what he was writing, but that he's all better now.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby wgtngrl on Sun 26/Apr/15 3:35pm

happybaboon wrote:He should try and get out of any sanctions by claiming he had a sudden ~48 hour period of extreme psychosis and had no idea what he was writing, but that he's all better now.

A TUE would cover that, surely ;)
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Professional Cycling, Keeping It Classy

Postby EoinC on Sun 26/Apr/15 7:21pm

Twutter, Facewash, and the interweb in general are not very smart places for professional athletes to be making accusations, regardless of whether they are based on fact or not.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Wed 29/Apr/15 7:02pm

Oops.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11440555

A statement on Aru's website says he's empowered his attorney to take legal action against the New Zealander in order to defend his image and respectability.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Wed 29/Apr/15 8:46pm

Channeling Armstrong?
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts