Spank Spike Flat Pedals

Postby jimzenglish on Sun 1/Feb/15 12:45pm

Hey there I'm thinking of getting a pair of Spank Spike Flat Pedals
http://bicyclebusiness.nz/products/span ... flat-pedal

For trail riding not hard core DH or anything. Got flats at the moment but these look like a good upgrade. They seem to be the thinnest around at 12mm, strong but still reasonably light at 400g. Has anyone used these or can suggest better for similar price?
jimzenglish
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Spank Spike Flat Pedals

Postby Wobbler on Sun 1/Feb/15 2:47pm

I'm not a fan of those, the big pointy bit out the side always seemed like a waste of space and a rock magnet

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/SHPD ... ill-pedals

my current favorite flats, my set has lasted longer without any rebuilds than a bunch of the other flats I've used.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby huffnpuff on Sun 1/Feb/15 3:30pm

That's my thoughts as well Wobbler.

I've been using Saints for almost two years now with zero issues.

Awesome grip on then when you fit the screws without using the spacer washers.
huffnpuff
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby jimzenglish on Sun 1/Feb/15 4:00pm

Wobbler wrote:I'm not a fan of those, the big pointy bit out the side always seemed like a waste of space and a rock magnet
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/SHPD ... ill-pedals
my current favorite flats, my set has lasted longer without any rebuilds than a bunch of the other flats I've used.

Thanks Wobbler yea those look pretty indestructible, I'm after something a bit lighter with lower profile but yea that also comes with less strength. Another one I like the look at is the Blackspire SUB4 pedals which are also only 400g, 17mm deep and cheaper than the Spikes.
http://www.jensonusa.com/!iRFETmWNo6rqC ... UB4-Pedals
jimzenglish

Postby Percy Pig on Sun 1/Feb/15 6:34pm

I have both the Spikes, and the Oozy pedals from Spank, and have not had any issues with either.
Don't have rock strike issues, and there doesn't seem to be any damage if I do manage to mong into one.
And they are the grippiest pedals I've ever owned. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby jimzenglish on Sun 1/Feb/15 7:07pm

Percy Pig wrote:I have both the Spikes, and the Oozy pedals from Spank, and have not had any issues with either.
Don't have rock strike issues, and there doesn't seem to be any damage if I do manage to mong into one.

Thanks good to know :)
jimzenglish

Postby JulioRiviera on Mon 2/Feb/15 9:40pm

Pretty happy with my chromags http://www.cyclescience.co.nz/webapps/p/103592/345381/1147058

The contacts are set in closer to the crank, so less pedal strike on corners, but more rub on the cranks. Their other model is the scarab.
JulioRiviera
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 3/Feb/15 12:31pm

The spikes are great. I find the shape to be good, it's almost as good as a gigantic square platform (like DMR vaults, the biggest pedals ever) but they're less likely to hit rocks and when they do, they're more likely to be a glancing blow instead of a good smash.

I don't own them personally - I have DMR vaults on every one of my bikes. They're cheap and large. Things like the saints are way too small - I go for the "bigger is better" approach and the vault has the largest platform around. More grip, more surface to aim for if things go awry and you need something to aim your foot at, more comfortable underfoot, shoes last longer, less likely to spin the pedal or bounce off the side if it's unweighted. The only comparable pedal in size is the Syntace, which is over twice the price but is absolutely, unquestionably, the best pedal that has ever been made for a mountain bike. (And probably the only people to offer S/M/L sizes in a pedal platform, because small people ride bikes too)

I'd recommend the vaults but they're a bit thicker than other offerings at 17mm (but the concave shape is awesome) and they do require a bit of maintenance as they don't seal very well. Not hard to do though.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby el_booto on Tue 3/Feb/15 6:51pm

Percy Pig wrote:I have both the Spikes, and the Oozy pedals from Spank, and have not had any issues with either.

:withstupid:

Three sets of them, had V12s, burgtec V1s and 50/50s, spikes > all the rest

Have sold a dozen or more sets and none come back yet
Only issue I've had was a very slightly bent axle from a major crash that's seen me off the bikes since September, other than that they're boss :thumbsup:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Pedals - Latest Posts