Jaguar Land Rover Unveils "bike Sense"

Postby Kev on Thu 22/Jan/15 11:32am

I, for one, eagerly await the time when Range Rovers will actively try to prevent their drivers from trying to run me over:

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/jaguar-lan ... ike-sense/

I particularly appreciate this feature, "If you’re about to open the door and smack a cyclist, the handle buzzes to warn you." Although I don't know why they wouldn't take it a step further and prevent the door from opening if the car knows a bike is about to get smacked.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Jaguar Land Rover Unveils "bike Sense"

Postby RJD on Thu 22/Jan/15 11:38am

hmm because systems can sometimes be wrong, and if you have it err on the side of caution then the driver can make their own decision rather than be trapped in their luxury roadbarge forever...

its a good step forward though cars are getting a lot smarter thesedays.

Trucks IMO could and should be fitted with more tech rather than the drivers just talking about blind spots and shrugging.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Thu 22/Jan/15 12:42pm

Kev wrote:I particularly appreciate this feature, "If you’re about to open the door and smack a cyclist, the handle buzzes to warn you." Although I don't know why they wouldn't take it a step further and prevent the door from opening if the car knows a bike is about to get smacked.

Maybe a electirfying the handle might train them to not touch the handle before checking the mirror first. Or use positive re-enforcement to deliver the driver small treats when opening the door when it is safe to do so :D
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby 13daza on Thu 22/Jan/15 10:56pm

Hmmm sounds like a great idea ,but having spent the last twenty five years "fixing" up the end results of shite engineering from car designers I am especially wary of anything that even smacks of a british car engineers vague contribution to the project ,drivers aside I would never trust it to work in a pommy made or designed vehicle ,sweet FA else they do seems to be reliable good idea or not. :sly:
When Landrover released the Freelander to the motoring press way back they had a large fleet of cars and on a daily basis hand picked the ones that were behaving on THAT day to give to the press to test ,Clarkson gave it a rave review .It was in its day a pretty high tech vehicle for a pommy car manufacturer .In retrospect Dog and Lemon guide now says that they strongly recommend that you should avoid purchasing them due to the incredibly large number of known (and likely) faults . IMHO ( based on extensive repair experience )its one of the worst vehicles to ever be sold on the planet this forum is not long enough to list all the different shit I have had to fix on these ...... I would rather own a Trabant at least they mostly start .
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 22/Jan/15 11:27pm

:lol: go on, tell us what you really think
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Fri 23/Jan/15 12:12am

"Oh sorry, I didn't bother to look because I forgot I was in the BMW not the Jaguar."
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts