Auckland, Where To Live And Ride?

Postby Slow_XC on Sun 4/Jan/15 6:59pm

I planning on moving up to Auckland to study at AUT soon and Im looking for recommendations on where to move to.
As Im going to be studding I look for the cheapest O.A living cost and close to good trails.
Thanks for the help
Slow_XC
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Auckland, Where To Live And Ride?

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 4/Jan/15 8:38pm

lol
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Farm on Sun 4/Jan/15 9:30pm

Stink. Maybe you could take up triathlon?
Farm
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Sun 4/Jan/15 9:42pm

How will you have time to ride with all that studding?
Fnar fnar
znomit
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 4/Jan/15 9:54pm

Slow_XC wrote:As Im going to be studding

Does studding pay so badly that you need the cheapest possible housing? If so, it might not be the career for you.

Have you considered going back to university and trying again? You could study spelling :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Mon 5/Jan/15 7:43am

I would look out east as you have whitford etc for riding, but i have no idea on living costs out that way. Or west is likely to be cheaper to live and closer to woodhill. you will still need access to a car to get to any riding, although there is a small amount in arch hill in town.
phunk
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Matahina on Mon 5/Jan/15 10:44am

I found the Royal Albany Trails just enough to stay sane up by Massey University. Also some cheapish accom up that way and shortish drive (by AK standards) to riding at Riverhead and Woodhill
Far easier to avoid Auckland in general tho if you want to live cheap and ride lots
Matahina
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Sims on Mon 5/Jan/15 4:10pm

Auckland is a vastly sprawling place - So forget about being close to any riding. It's always going to be at least a 25min drive away.

Instead, focus on making your daily life as easy as possible by placing yourself as close as you can afford to the facilities that you need. AUT in the city is pretty far from the train, so I'd be looking for somewhere with good bus routes. My pic would be looking for places in the Kingsland, Arch Hill, Grey Lynn, Morningside, Mt Albert areas. Kingsland would probably be my pick - There's a couple of local bars and cafes, and 2 supermarkets within walking distance. Access to the motorway will make your life easier in the weekend. The afore mentioned areas all have easy access to the north-western motorway.

There's plenty of street riding in the CBD, along with a pretty decent skate park at Victoria Park. Almost all suburbs will have local skate parks as well. There's BMX tracks located out at Swanson, and Albany which are fun for a hit.

The most popular mountain biking spot is Woodhill bike park. However this is remarkably shit for the $7 [edit: Its now $8] you pay, and only really worth riding in the middle of winter; Its sand based and drains well.

The WCRC's Compound off Old North Road is probably my favourite place to ride. It's getting more DH focused now, but there's plenty of technical flowing trails accessed off a single uphill gravel road. Further along Old North Road are the Barlow Rd, Riverhead trails. These are best ridden with a local, as its a bit of a rabbit warren of trails and not sign posted at all. Watch out of motorbikes, as there's occasionally club rides in the forest.

Over the bridge on the North Shore are the Royal Albany trails. This is a pretty tight area, so expect to spend lots of time looping around on yourself. I nearly lost my missus off a bank into the creek here, so i haven't been back.

Heading south you'll find the Hunua's - there's a couple of longer loops in here and a pretty decent DH trail. Don't ride the challenge trail as it's shit, but the farm loop is ace - Bring your togs for a swim in the river afterwards. On the other side of the Hunuas you'll find the Puhutakawa Mountain Bike club's, Maraetai trails. There's some fantastic riding in here with lots of flow. Best accessed from a shuttle as the main access route is a killer. The final stop on our leg is 440 mountain bike park. This is a new development with purpose built shuttle trails and an old south star bus. Great riding if you don't mind playing $40 for 6 up lifts.

But want the best riding in Auckland...? Well thats located in Rotorua...
Sims
Member for: 17 years 9 months

t6t8t6t8
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Mon 5/Jan/15 8:07pm

Sims wrote:But want the best riding in Auckland...? Well thats located in Rotorua...

I dissagree, i like the trails in riverhead and Hunuas better than vegas. Its nice to have that down the road though.
phunk
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby trancemaster on Tue 6/Jan/15 12:52am

Yep

Riverhead beats rotorua : trad unpredictable wild diy trails,

= tru spirit of mtb
trancemaster
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 6/Jan/15 6:55am

trancemaster wrote:Yep

Riverhead beats rotorua : trad unpredictable wild diy trails,

= tru spirit of mtb

There's more Rotorua trails than what you see on the map ;)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby Sims on Tue 6/Jan/15 9:31am

Well at least no one is aurging that Woodhill is good... Riverhead is fine - there are some gems in there. But I'd gladly go without the clay, motorcycle ruts and impenetrable gorse, that often take weeks to pick out of my knuckles.
Sims
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Tue 6/Jan/15 12:18pm

Anyone offering to take me on a tour of the Riverhead trails? Recently moved to Akld and would be good to have a local to show me the way!

Currently job hunting... which means my riding time is super flexible :D

Usually riding a 5 - 6 inch travel trail bike
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby philstar on Tue 6/Jan/15 2:07pm

Sims wrote:The most popular mountain biking spot is Woodhill bike park. However this is remarkably shit for the $7 [edit: Its now $8] you pay, and only really worth riding in the middle of winter; Its sand based and drains well.

$149 per year is not bad for guilt/"trail build time" free riding equates to 10.5 hours trail building/maintenance at minimum wage (or 5.6 at the average hourly earnings), not bad for access to 100km of trails. but yes much better in winter.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Auckland Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts