Lock On Grips....

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 17/Dec/14 6:08pm

Looking at getting some lock on grips. However, to be difficult, I want them to be comfortable ie not too thin, as I may spend a few hours on them at a time.

A friend of mine had some Yeti grips, and they were just too hard on the hands, with no padding.

What would you recommend ?

Cheers
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Lock On Grips....

Postby wachtourak on Wed 17/Dec/14 6:27pm

TroyLee/ODI collab if you want something with a bit more padding than say, the ODI Ruffian. I am running the ODI/Vans ones at the moment and they are a bit bigger than the ruffian too and the waffle pattern is heaps grippy but I guess they aren't that soft
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 17/Dec/14 6:43pm

RugbySucks

Postby happybaboon on Wed 17/Dec/14 6:51pm

Thicker ODI grips (rogues),
Big paddy grips, ergonomic grips...

I'm thinking I might try some ergo grips.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby el_booto on Wed 17/Dec/14 6:53pm

I like the sram silicon DH grips, put a set on my turner a few months before I smashed my wrist, they were mint til then (one pulled a disappearing act when I crashed, took 6" off the end of my bars with it :cry: )

Another set I always get told are the bizzo are the kevlar renthal lockons, I must get a set to try for myself :huh:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby MattV on Wed 17/Dec/14 7:03pm

Not lock ons .. but have you considered these?

http://www.esigrips.com/

Ive been running them (Racer's Edge) for a few months after binning my ODI's and they're pretty good.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 17/Dec/14 7:20pm

Yeah, I used to run esi grips - I have ODI's atm but am considering going back to chunky esi grips ...
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 17/Dec/14 8:35pm

ESI's are THE grip for the XCing of the riding, accept no other

BUT if you are the crashing of the bicycles often, then not the go as they are not so sturdy.

ODI's are pricey, but they are the best. There are cheaper grips, but not better grips.
AG1's for small hands and Gwin-o-philes
Ruffians for most people and legends.
Rogues are for Colin Mead types
troy lee are really nice and comfy, closer to the ruffian size wise
raceface half nelson ODI's are seem slightly bigger than AG1's and like them has no end clamp. So good for hanging palm off bars
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby jo on Wed 17/Dec/14 8:38pm

I like the AG1 ODI. I haz the small hands. Plus they make me go faster.

But I don't think you'll like them as they're not squishy, in fact kinda hard, and relatively small diameter. I ride multiple hours on them, no probs.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby umog on Wed 17/Dec/14 8:56pm

Have ODI ruffians and Eastons - swapped the Eastons onto the most ridden bike after a while.

The Ruffians are very tacky, but the Eastons are FAT and suit my big paws.
umog
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby ryda on Wed 17/Dec/14 9:45pm

I used to run ODI Rogues but now using ODI Cross Trainers and are quite liking them....may not wear as well as the Rogues tho
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 17/Dec/14 11:12pm

I run the rouges. Best grips eve. I also have raceface good and evil on my dh bike. The evil part is getting them on the bars. They aren't lock on, but have a tougher inner core that needs stretched onto the bar.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 17/Dec/14 11:38pm

All of the comments from you guys are very much appreciated.

I'm going to give a few different sets of grips a try out, Definitely a set of Rogues from the repeated comments.

Cheers
RugbySucks

Postby mudlover/hater on Thu 18/Dec/14 6:28am

Since I cant find DMR Loccd grips anywhere I'm currently using Pro Koryak grips. I favour a single lock ring style as I ride with my hands slightly over the outside edge of the grip. The Pros are good but maybe a little thick for my tiny cheerio fingers. Also, they're not great in the wet without gloves which is how I prefer to roll...

I want to try out the new Santa Cruz ones. I've been around the carpark on a friend's bike with them and they're super grippy and seem quite thin. The rubber material continues around the end of the bar, doing away with the need for end caps which could get wrecked in no time as I usually transport my bike on it's side in my ute tray...Maybe have to finally get a tow ball fitted...
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby NickCW on Thu 18/Dec/14 7:22am

Been on ruffians for years, until I had a hoon on some lizard skins chargers. Sweet lawd their many micro flanges are a joy to deathgrip
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Controls + Cockpit | Cycling | Grips + Bar Tape - Latest Posts