The Pie Thread

Postby dwgknz on Mon 17/Nov/14 9:45am

Been plenty of mention of pies today so time for a thread.

I did a search of 'New Zealands Best Pie' and got 1 response Bumcakes - the best thread in the universe so seems to be an opening.

I've lived in Wellington for about 9 years off my life in two stints and have never found anyone claiming to have Wellington's local or best pie. The closest thing is Mr Buns yellow pastry mince and cheese as far as I can tell and that was just average.

All other small towns and centres have pies of mention. I think it's time some of those get there 1 min of Vorb fame before being savaging torn to pieces for coming from whichever horrible place their from.

I came from Taradale, we had Heaven's bakery. They won a pie prize in the 90's and I'm sure it's still advertised today. Their standard pies were good but then they got too fancy.

Also I have a very strong view blue cheese doesn't belong in pies.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: The Pie Thread

Postby Sims on Mon 17/Nov/14 9:47am

Well... The best pie in Auckland used to come from the Fridge in Kingsland. Either Chicken & Pesto, or Guiness Beef... But the original owners have now sold up, so who knows if the quality is still up there.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Philthy on Mon 17/Nov/14 9:55am

Muddy Creek Cafe in Omakau, central Otago make some of the best pies I've eaten, and I've done my fair share of research. Good reason to do the Great Southern Brevet, I ate a lot of pies during that week.
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 17/Nov/14 10:57am

Lots of small towns in Canterbury are in fierce competition for making the best pies. It's probably my favourite thing about this part of the country.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby NickCW on Mon 17/Nov/14 11:05am

For central North Island and above I'll vouch for Better Quality Pies 2000 Ltd, Tarewa Road Rotovegas

I have not found an equal

I also want to say that BP pies should die, I can't understand their popularity
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 17/Nov/14 11:32am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlk36vgygh4

(Can't remember how to embed Youtube vid here..)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Mon 17/Nov/14 11:35am

I'll always be a complete sucker for a Jimmy's Pie, especially fresh from the bakery in Roxburgh. Best hangover cure eva!
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 17/Nov/14 11:41am

dwgknz wrote:Been plenty of mention of pies today so time for a thread.

I did a search of 'New Zealands Best Pie' and got 1 response Bumcakes - the best thread in the universe so seems to be an opening.

I've lived in Wellington for about 9 years off my life in two stints and have never found anyone claiming to have Wellington's local or best pie. The closest thing is Mr Buns yellow pastry mince and cheese as far as I can tell and that was just average.

All other small towns and centres have pies of mention. I think it's time some of those get there 1 min of Vorb fame before being savaging torn to pieces for coming from whichever horrible place their from.

I came from Taradale, we had Heaven's bakery. They won a pie prize in the 90's and I'm sure it's still advertised today. Their standard pies were good but then they got too fancy.

Also I have a very strong view blue cheese doesn't belong in pies.

In Wellington as far as I am concerned there are two options, both in Island bay.
Patricia's pies - its actually a tiny little shop - doesn't look like much - down the far end of the parade near the sea. Awesome pies - try the stockman.
(Not to be confused with the more commercial Tricia's pies)

Bluebell Cafe - awesome pies there as well.

(Mind you I'm not living in welly any more so there may be some new options.)
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 17/Nov/14 11:50am

Used to be "The Pie Factory" in Nelson - next to the Polytech, yum.

Disclaimer - I left Nelson in early 2000, pies may have aged poorly.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Colin on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:19pm

Pie Shop.JPG
This guy, near the back entrance of Farmers in Victoria Street won 'Pie of the Year' a couple of years back in some national bakers piebakeathon. I remember occasionally as I'm passing and keep thinking I should give them a whirl. Something and blue cheese was the winner from memory
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:26pm

Colin wrote:
Pie Shop.JPG
This guy, near the back entrance of Farmers in Victoria Street won 'Pie of the Year' a couple of years back in some national bakers piebakeathon. I remember occasionally as I'm passing and keep thinking I should give them a whirl. Something and blue cheese was the winner from memory

Thanks

Might give it a whirl as it's only a short walk from work.

I however won't be having anything with blue cheese in it as that is a crime against nature.
Last edited by dwgknz on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwgknz

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:26pm

What's the opinions on Tulsi pies?

I like the flavours, but they lack enough filling I reckon
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:30pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:What's the opinions on Tulsi pies?

I like the flavours, but they lack enough filling I reckon

I found them a bit factory made tasting.

I'll try out the one in Island Bay as my sister moved out there recently so end up going a bit.
dwgknz

Postby Scotty on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:33pm

Colin wrote:
Pie Shop.JPG

Hell yes, when I worked at R&R I gave that place a thrashing. :love:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 17/Nov/14 12:40pm

Pies are for fatties.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts