Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby musta on Tue 28/Oct/14 8:46pm

Who has had experience?
I'm looking at building a 29 race bike, an IP-036 from iplay. seems to have good reviews online.
How likely is it that it will sneak through customs without being taxed.
musta
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Chinese Carbon Frames

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 28/Oct/14 8:54pm

Well, how much is it?
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 28/Oct/14 10:50pm

same bike as the Deng fu and hong fu FM-036. There is someone in wgtn with one, he seems fairly happy.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 28/Oct/14 11:55pm

A lot of the alibaba sellers are willing to say "this is worth X amount" to help you evade GST :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby sanspareil on Wed 29/Oct/14 11:13am

I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China but it hasn't fallen apart yet after 3 years :paranoid:
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 30/Oct/14 7:20am

cruiser wrote:same bike as the Deng fu and hong fu FM-036. There is someone in wgtn with one, he seems fairly happy.

That "someone" was looking fairly relaxed, and happy, after completing the Whaka 100 in a good time, on said bike. :D
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 30/Oct/14 8:15am

sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China

Why?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 30/Oct/14 8:56am

It has kiwi in the name so obv made here.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby sanspareil on Thu 30/Oct/14 12:17pm

wachtourak wrote:
sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China

Why?

I try to avoid buying anything made in China, would prefer to spend my money in NZ or Taiwan at least
sanspareil

Postby Slim on Thu 30/Oct/14 12:21pm

Even half the shit purchased from Taiwan is made in China.

We've seen clients buy product from a number of different places in Asia, and had a few places supply goods with the same error. Turns out they were on selling Chinese sourced goods and taking a margin on the way through.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 30/Oct/14 12:38pm

sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China but it hasn't fallen apart yet after 3 years :paranoid:

Even brands like Turner are not sourcing their carbon bikes in the States...

David has begun to venture overseas and manufacture his carbon fiber XC race bike in Taiwan. After fruitless searches stateside it became evident that it was just not feasible to make a boutique carbon bike domestically.

By the way, where did you think Avanti frames were manufactured? Sure, designed here in NZ but the manufacturing is all done over that way.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby sanspareil on Thu 30/Oct/14 1:55pm

Trail wrote:
sanspareil wrote:I was disappointed to discover that my Kiwi Avanti Cadent (carbon frame), was manufactured in China but it hasn't fallen apart yet after 3 years :paranoid:

Even brands like Turner are not sourcing their carbon bikes in the States...

David has begun to venture overseas and manufacture his carbon fiber XC race bike in Taiwan. After fruitless searches stateside it became evident that it was just not feasible to make a boutique carbon bike domestically.

By the way, where did you think Avanti frames were manufactured? Sure, designed here in NZ but the manufacturing is all done over that way.

I know but China????
sanspareil

Postby Wobbler on Thu 30/Oct/14 2:05pm

spoilers, stuff gets made in china
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 30/Oct/14 2:43pm

sanspareil wrote:
wachtourak wrote:

Why?

I try to avoid buying anything made in China, would prefer to spend my money in NZ or Taiwan at least

Why? What do you have against the Chinese?

I'd reckon more carbon stuff is made in China rather than Taiwan. Lots of brands that have their Aluminium stuff made in Taiwan have their carbon stuff made in China, I'd say the Chinese are pretty good at it. I'd rather ride a Chinese made carbon frame than something that's been battled together in a shed by some she'll be right mate kiwi bloke, like some pipe dreamers wish lolvanti's were
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 30/Oct/14 2:47pm

I like Chinese. They only come up to your knees. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Frames - Latest Posts