Would you utilise a miniature velodrome?

Poll ended at Fri 12/Dec/14 11:19am

Rad, I totally would.
57%
Great idea but I wouldn't use it.
43%
Stupid idea, crawl back to the hole from whence you came.
No votes

Total voters : 14

Miniature Velodrome?

Postby Carbonz on Mon 13/Oct/14 11:19am

Bonjour.

I am conducting a bit of market research at the moment and I would be keen on some feedback.
I am looking at the possibility of building a permanent indoor miniature velodrome just out of Chch.

Currently the RedBull company travel the world with a variation of a mini-drome whereby they run hotly contested comps. The races are a two person pursuit format, are timed electronically and have good prizes. Bikes can reach up to 50kmph on the track and it is an awesome spectator sport. The dromes seem to appeal to road and track racers (especially during winter) as well as couriers, fixie enthusiasts and BMXers.

I have a venue and some building materials at the ready.
My question is;
Would you utilise a mini-drome for training and/or monthly races?
images.jpeg
This photo gives you an idea of scale.
Carbonz
Member for: 3 years 0 months

Re: Miniature Velodrome?

Postby murphyflair on Mon 13/Oct/14 12:58pm

That actually sounds awesome, I'd be so keen to get involved. I could help out if you wanted also?
murphyflair
User avatarMedal
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby murphyflair on Mon 13/Oct/14 12:59pm

There's a fixed gear chch group on facebook maybe it would be a good idea to post in there also or maybe send them here?
murphyflair
User avatarMedal
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby Kwheels on Mon 13/Oct/14 1:39pm

This is a great idea! I would be keen to race on it.
Kwheels
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Mon 13/Oct/14 5:49pm

It is an awesome idea, and I love the idea of giving it a go until, that is until I actually try it and realise I lack the coordination to complete a lap
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 13/Oct/14 7:40pm

Sounds awesome, I may even kick this old worn out frame of mine back into life for the occasion :)
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 13/Oct/14 9:09pm

didnt they set something like this up in a bar in Auckland a few years back? i seem to recall seeing pics on Spoke mag or something...?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Kev on Tue 14/Oct/14 2:04am

I'm sure I saw this video on here many months ago but for those of you who haven't seen the Redbull video and want to see what riding on a mini Velodrome (in a Cathedral) is like, watch this video...

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stori ... rome-track

The track in the video is a fair bit smaller than the one on the photo above, because it had to squeezed into the building, but you'll get the general idea.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 14/Oct/14 6:40am

not a velodrome, but I've always thought a rollapaluza would be kinda cool in a bar near you... a lot less 'build'.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Carbonz on Tue 14/Oct/14 10:44am

murphyflair wrote:That actually sounds awesome, I'd be so keen to get involved. I could help out if you wanted also?

Thanks for the kind offer.
If I can reach a critical mass of interest then I would be very keen to have your assistance..
C.
Carbonz

Postby Rik on Tue 14/Oct/14 12:25pm

Kev wrote:I'm sure I saw this video on here many months ago but for those of you who haven't seen the Redbull video and want to see what riding on a mini Velodrome (in a Cathedral) is like, watch this video...

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stori ... rome-track

The track in the video is a fair bit smaller than the one on the photo above, because it had to squeezed into the building, but you'll get the general idea.

tah dah =} red-bull-mini-drome-t105691.html
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby gumby on Tue 14/Oct/14 6:46pm

swtchbckr wrote:not a velodrome, but I've always thought a rollapaluza would be kinda cool in a bar near you... a lot less 'build'.

BORING :cry: I wouldn't cross the street for anything less than figger 8 pursuit.
gumby
Member for: 4 years 2 months

Postby Carbonz on Tue 14/Oct/14 7:25pm

gumby wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:not a velodrome, but I've always thought a rollapaluza would be kinda cool in a bar near you... a lot less 'build'.

BORING :cry: I wouldn't cross the street for anything less than figger 8 pursuit.

A figure 8 with an overpass or a kamikaze figure 8?
Carbonz

Postby XCrider on Tue 14/Oct/14 9:48pm

Find that stupid rugby ball bar that was on Manchester st... and put it in there would be rad as ... just need some bikes for others to use.. until they r hooked and have there own
XCrider
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby gumby on Tue 14/Oct/14 10:04pm

Carbonz wrote:A figure 8 with an overpass or a kamikaze figure 8?

kamikaze X factor, you can see that's what the whiskeydrome is missing

gumby
Member for: 4 years 2 months

Cycling - Latest Posts