Raceface Cinch

Postby Scotty on Mon 13/Oct/14 8:19am

This system looks pretty minta, has anyone had any experience with it?

http://raceface.com/cinch/

I personally used to run in the opposite direction when Raceface went outboard because the BB's seemed to self-destruct when people looked at them, are they any better these days?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Raceface Cinch

Postby danose on Mon 13/Oct/14 10:44am

Scotty wrote:I personally used to run in the opposite direction when Raceface went outboard because the BB's seemed to self-destruct when people looked at them, are they any better these days?

their bearings were generally no worse or better than anyone elses - main issue was the tendency to trap water in the cup behind the bearing (hence Dougal's machine water channels on cups)

notice the spline interface on the end of the cinch axles looks suspiciously like ye olde isis spline (good mechanical design - main issue was people's inability to actually torque the crank bolts to spec leading to slogging out issues - but still a heap better than shimano's poxy pinch bolt setup)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 13/Oct/14 10:53am

shimano cranks or gtfo
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 13/Oct/14 11:27am

danose wrote:the end of the cinch axles looks suspiciously like ye olde isis spline

I thought it was more of a case of the Isis spline being so evil that nothing would work with it, not even the Al-Qaeda of interfaces octolink.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 13/Oct/14 12:05pm

Wobbler wrote:shimano cranks or gtfo

:withstupid:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 13/Oct/14 5:17pm

I love spiderless, but no experience with the RF cinch. I currently have a shimano bb with my atlas cranks because the RF bb would fill up with water if you perspired next to it.

I looked into getting the cinch turbines. cranks + bb + ring are similar in weight to an XT setup, maybe slightly lighter but not much. And I bet the XT are stiffer. And they were $180 from CRC, cheaper even after filing away the rings that it comes with and putting on a hope narrow/wide.

The 1x spiderless gives a better chainline than the 2x shimanos though. 3x shimano gives a good chainline I think but you do end up with an uglier spider.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 13/Oct/14 5:45pm

el_booto wrote:
Wobbler wrote:shimano cranks or gtfo

:withstupid:

:withstupid: :baaa:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 17/Oct/14 9:40pm

The problem with ISIS (the BB, not the fanatics) was the bearings. To fit a fat spindle through a BB shell you have bearings which are 21.5-22mm ID and 31mm OD.
Their balls just aren't big enough. :huh:

RF ISIS had their own special issues. The width of the spacer between the bearings was shorter than the width of the bearing stops on the axle. So the bearings got massive side-load when you tightened up the frame cups.

The biggest problem with external cup BB's (HT2, RF X-type, FSA Mega-exo, SRAM GXP etc) is water being trapped behind the bearings. To date I think I'm the only manufacturer with the solution to that problem.

Looks like the Cinch is BB30/PF30 but with a proprietory BB width so you have to use a RF BB with RF Cranks. These BB30 variants haven't really solved any problems, just changed them. Your crank axle is now fat enough that aluminium can work, but you've got large bearings (6806) which are quite thin in section and pressed into cups in the frame. When the frame manufacturer gets the tolerances wrong (mass production and all it's issues) the bearings get squeezed to the point some new bearings won't turn when pressed in.

Yeah we've got the solution to that too. ;)
Hard shell BB30/PF30 units which can fight the frame enough to give the bearings some chance at life. If anyone has a really tight frame we can also machine the housings down to literally relieve the pressure.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts