Alternatives To Wakamarina...? Which Is Shut Weekdays.

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 10/Oct/14 12:11pm

Heading northwards in a couple weeks to ride a lot, and with the way we've planned it we were intending on doing the Wakamarina on a Tuesday, which is unfortunately NO GO, due to the logging trucks that will be plying the roads therein. So... am considering other options. One is the Waikakaho - Cullens route, which would be good, except for a bastard with regard to the shuttling of cars back and forth from each end. So, we're also looking at other options. We're already doing the Nydia, and part of the Q.Charlotte (yawn), and Whites Bay, but need an alternative to the Wakamarina.

Mt Royal is out too, cos Quartz Creek access is shut same as Wakamarina.

Any ideas?

Has anybody ever ridden Mt Riley / Mt Sunday? What's the track condition like? It's obviously steep, but is it rideable at all (at least down?)?

What about Staircase Rd into Lake Chalice, up to the 1309 saddle before Old Man, and down to The Forks? Probably way more the our group could handle, but is it possible?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Alternatives To Wakamarina...? Which Is Shut Weekdays.

Postby Trail on Fri 10/Oct/14 1:18pm

Mt Fishtail is fun - about a 4 hour carry up and then turn around for steep technical descending! :D

Mt Richmond is easier. Again push or carry up (just to the ridge - don't worry about going to the hut).

Cullens/Waikakaho is quite good - quite a lot is in forestry on the sounds side. Is quite steep (i.e. you may not be riding up) but the riding down is fun. Is a long shuttle.

Have not ridden Riley/Sunday. May be quite messed up from forest felling over the last few years?

I know others that have had a hell mission up Lake Chalice way... not sure if it was the same route you are describing?

There apparently is an overgrown track that comes down the native forest face about Havelock?? Access from the forestry roads behind. Have not ridden... may be unrideable?

There is the old pack track between Anikiwa and Picton as well. Hangs out not far above Queen Charlotte Drive I think - again I have not ridden personally.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 10/Oct/14 3:17pm

"Hell" mission, from 'friends' of yours... hmmmm... might be an 'avoid'. :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby kavika on Sat 11/Oct/14 7:31pm

You could always try Steve at Helibiking Nelson. AFAIK he has a permit to operate in the area for Wakamarina shuttles, so MAY cover weekday access also (or you can fly it :thumbsup: ). Theres also the option of riding up from the Waka end, and back out the same way?

Waikakaho isn't too bad a track, but as you say, the shuttling side of things can be a PITA, although, I have only bothered riding the Valley side, to the lookout, and back the same way, which I'm told give you the best descent anyway.

Perhaps Mt Fishtail?
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 11/Oct/14 10:22pm

I've thought of a good way of doing Waikakaho. We're staying in Havelock, so if we leave a car there and drive to Waikakaho end, ride up it over and down to Cullensville, it's only about 12 kms from there back to Havelock, then the drivers go get the cars...

Or, we've been thinking about it, and wondered if we got a REALLY early start, park at Onamalutu and ride up the (closed) road before the forestry ops get started for the day. I'ma ring the forestry company on Monday and see if that might be a possibility.

Thanks for the heads up on Helibiking... I'll give him a yell. This time round, as you say, flying it might be the only option. A mate and me rode up from the Waka side last year and it's not something I'm in a hurry to repeat... with doing the Doom Creek loop on the way in, the whole up and back took like 6 hours...

What's Mt Fishtail like to go up? I've heard it's pretty great down from people that've Helidropped it.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Trail on Sat 11/Oct/14 11:10pm

Fishtail is steep to go up. You would need to be. happy to carry your bike for 3 or 4 hours.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby kavika on Sun 12/Oct/14 2:59pm

I've not ridden the Cullensiville Rd end, but have been told that if you prefer an enjoyable descent, coming into the Waikakaho end is much better. How many of you are there, and what date are you riding Waikakaho if you decide on that track? I can ask around to see if there is a way we can get you back to your vehicle
kavika

Postby tanadog on Sun 12/Oct/14 4:36pm

The Wakamarina from Kiwi Rd/ Bartletts is TOTALLY off limits week days, at any hour. Please spread the word...we need to respect this. Steve at Helibike Nelson is is the process of getting a weekend permit for shuttling Kiwi Rd end, and I think the guy at Blue Moon Lodge is also looking into it.

and I know Helibike Nelson will have a chopper flying to the Wakamarina out of Butchers Flat Sunday of Labour Weekend... more people is lower cost for all.
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby kavika on Sun 12/Oct/14 5:46pm

tanadog wrote:The Wakamarina from Kiwi Rd/ Bartletts is TOTALLY off limits week days, at any hour. Please spread the word...we need to respect this. Steve at Helibike Nelson is is the process of getting a weekend permit for shuttling Kiwi Rd end, and I think the guy at Blue Moon Lodge is also looking into it.

and I know Helibike Nelson will have a chopper flying to the Wakamarina out of Butchers Flat Sunday of Labour Weekend... more people is lower cost for all.

Blue Moon currently have a permit for running the shuttles.

The Helibiking for Wakamarina is next weekend, 18th, or 19th if postponed due to weather. $90pp which is running at cost price.

Labour Weekend will be Kill Devil on the Sunday, after the M&H, $120pp I believe.
kavika

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 12/Oct/14 9:52pm

Yep, we aint goin' in Kiwi/Bartletts or Onamulutu while them logging trucks are on the road...

Sounds like my mate Mark is hooking up with the Kirwans bunch for the Labour weekend. We're gonna be in on the Nydia over the 18th 19th, more's the pity. Bartletts Kiwi are open to access on weekends, we just cant juggle the Nydia transport option we're using.

There's bloody 13 of us. it's like herding cats. I'd be much happier with just 5 or 6, but over the years this annual trip has gotten out of hand. Plus the levels of everybody's fitness and skill levels are all out of whack too, so when you're at the front you end up getting fucking bored waiting for the tailenders to turn up...

I'm gonna call the forestry dudes and see if there's any way we start super early and ride through before they start for the day. If that's not an option, we'll definitely be doing something else.

And, thanks heaps for the offer Kavika. I've only ever ridden Cullens end up and through to Waikakaho, then down a fair way of Waikakaho, to the dry ridgeline section, i'd say was between 4-500 m altitude, then rode back up. I actually found it heaps easier to get across the top going back, than i had going in... and down into Cullens was a fun wee descent too, albeit quick. also figured the shuttle would be easier from that end being able to bike back to Havelock from Linkwater. But, pm me your number and we can touch base once we're back in Havelock, if you like?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Cheeky72 on Sun 12/Oct/14 10:04pm

I feel your pain. I am organising a group of 15 that are using the helibike nelson chopper on Sunday of labour weekend. We are leaving on the track lodge to do wakamarina. I know for a fact Bluemoon in havelock are doing shuttles as they were our fallback option but helibike nelson came up with a fantastic trip for us including shuttling to Nydia bay and the chopper for wakamarina. I can highly recommend giving Steve a call as he is full of great info and can Taylor rides for your whole group.
Cheeky72
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby tanadog on Mon 13/Oct/14 8:44am

The Helibiking for Wakamarina is next weekend, 18th, or 19th if postponed due to weather. $90pp which is running at cost price.
Labour Weekend will be Kill Devil on the Sunday, after the M&H, $120pp I believe.

Nice to know Blue Moon have a permit already....

Milk & Honey Race is Labour W/end Sunday. Kill Devil heli-lift is on Monday @$120pp.

back on topic, have you thought of Ben Nevis behind Wakefield? Best as a helibike and pretty cost effective. With a big group you get a good price.
tanadog

Postby kavika on Mon 13/Oct/14 12:37pm

tanadog wrote:

Nice to know Blue Moon have a permit already....

Milk & Honey Race is Labour W/end Sunday. Kill Devil heli-lift is on Monday @$120pp.

back on topic, have you thought of Ben Nevis behind Wakefield? Best as a helibike and pretty cost effective. With a big group you get a good price.

oops, sorry tanadog, the above was info hoping it might help in planning, so hopefully didn't come across as me trying to say you were wrong

Shame about the numbers. Sounds like you are in the area next week then? If it's after labour day, I have a couple of options for Waikakaho, if next week, may not be able to help sorry.

Dave 021 459969
kavika

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 13/Oct/14 2:40pm

kavika wrote:Shame about the numbers. Sounds like you are in the area next week then? If it's after labour day, I have a couple of options for Waikakaho, if next week, may not be able to help sorry.

Dave 021 459969

yep, this and next week. arriving Friday, in the area til Wednesday pretty much... Were hoping on the Waka on Tuesday, but as above, that's out due to the logging. Seems a bit stink they can close 'public' roads and 'public' access for their operations... but, thems the breaks. so, probably doing Waikakaho on Tuesday, unless we can get into the Waka early early before logging ops start.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby tanadog on Mon 13/Oct/14 4:08pm

Seems a bit stink they can close 'public' roads and 'public' access for their operations...
Actually, I thought the same but they are private roads....if you check wams.org you'll see that the public access is via the rivers and stops short of the track.

come across as me trying to say you were wrong
. No offence taken :) . Just wanting the right info to be out there.... be nice to have a few more takers for the Kill Devil...
tanadog

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts