Giving Someone Yer Kidney

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 11:41am

In May, as some of you know, I was diagnosed with sudden seemingly random kidney failure. Since then I've been having dialysis three times a week (along with other entertaining activities). I'm also being worked up for transplant. I've been fortunate enough to have donors volunteer their bits, and it's looking promising for me (fingers crossed). But I now have a bunch of new friends on the waiting list that need kidneys if they are to lead anything like normal lives in the future. Unfortunately there is a very limited supply of organs in this country, and so many patients wait years for a transplant. This sort of sucks.

"What does this have to do with me," I hear you ask? Well, you might consider becoming an organ donor on the unfortunate occasion of your death. :D The best kidneys come from living donors, however. Potentially some of you will discover that a family member or friend has kidney failure; no doubt they would love to get their hands on your organ. It is even possible to donate "altruistically," i.e. to patients personally unknown to you.

Here's some information on being a donor: http://www.kidneys.co.nz/Kidney-Donatio ... ansplants/
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Giving Someone Yer Kidney

Postby happybaboon on Wed 8/Oct/14 11:46am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Potentially some of you will discover that a family member or friend has kidney failure; no doubt they would love to get their hands on your organ.

Snort.

Ahem... I'm sorry to hear that though dude. Dialysis is particularly sucky, what with the time required for just sitting there connected to hoses. A medical issue of my own prevents me from donating anything other than delicious blood products (at least while I'm alive - anyone can have any of my organs once I'm dead).
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 11:54am

happybaboon wrote:Ahem... I'm sorry to hear that though dude. Dialysis is particularly sucky, what with the time required for just sitting there connected to hoses. A medical issue of my own prevents me from donating anything other than delicious blood products (at least while I'm alive - anyone can have any of my organs once I'm dead).

Chur baboon. I'm through the first difficult part mostly. I'm now dialysing at home and about to go back to work part-time. :)
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby jo on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:00pm

Hmm. Philosophically and medically I'd be a good candidate.
My only concern is that I might need a spare in the future.... :paranoid: just how common is "sudden seemingly random kidney failure"? Are there risk factors for kidney failure in later life?
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:08pm

jo wrote:My only concern is that I might need a spare in the future.... :paranoid: just how common is "sudden seemingly random kidney failure"? Are there risk factors for kidney failure in later life?

I don't really know about this. I wouldn't want to spread disinformation, but most of the other patients I've encountered knew about the kidney disease before it got to the stage of dialysis or had associated illnesses (e.g. diabetes). The truly unexpected cases I've met seem to be younger patients. Even if you were inclined, I think you would want to be prudent about donating, especially if you have kids or a history of kidney disease in the family.
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby jo on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:12pm

Neither.
A history of heart disease in the family, with one cousin waiting for a transplant.

Cant grow a spare one of those tho. :huh: :(
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby thorg on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:22pm

Mine are f*kd. Am donating it all upon death though.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby dented on Wed 8/Oct/14 12:22pm

hurhur

organ
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 1:35pm

Hur hur.
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby znomit on Wed 8/Oct/14 4:40pm

Organ and tissue donation awareness day is this Friday.
:thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 8/Oct/14 4:49pm

Yeah often after I've donated my organ I'm required to donate a tissue or two as well :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/14 6:35pm

znomit wrote:Organ and tissue donation awareness day is this Friday.
:thumbsup:

I did not know this. :)

http://www.donor.co.nz/newsroom/newsroo ... s-day-2014
E Dogg Capizzle

Postby Oli on Wed 8/Oct/14 7:05pm

I'm a donor and my organs are massive. Hurr etc.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 8/Oct/14 7:15pm

So a kidney transplant would help you?

In seriousness?
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 8/Oct/14 7:43pm

Oli wrote:I'm a donor and my organs are massive. Hurr etc.

ditto
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts