Track Bike Frame Sizing

Postby wachtourak on Wed 8/Oct/14 8:02am

Been wanting to build up a track bike for a laugh for a while but I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for in sizing. Should I go slightly shorter in TT length than my road bike to compensate for what seems to be an inherently very low front end on track bikes I've had a spin on?

I currently ride a road bike with a 53.5cm effective top tube and run a 100mm stem. I'm 170cm/5'7" with a slightly longer body than legs I guess but not a huge amount of flexibility - my current road bike has a pretty aggressive/low front end and even with the stem not slammed I have about 7cm of bar drop but I run a shallow bar to compensate.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Track Bike Frame Sizing

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 8/Oct/14 8:25am

Don't quote me but I've always thought that bigger is better with track bikes.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Oct/14 8:27am

they're twitchy AS FUCK. just saying particularly out of their natural environment
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 8/Oct/14 8:29am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:they're twitchy AS FUCK. just saying particularly out of their natural environment

Only intend to use it on the track, not down with this assclown brakeless shit on the road

I would just buy a cheap secondhand complete, but part of the fun for me is always building something from a frameset
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Oli on Wed 8/Oct/14 9:39am

Slightly shorter top tube and/or stem is common, vertical size should follow that.

I'd suggest talking to the PNP track guys to try out their bikes for size - they have a fleet of loaners to borrow.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby jo on Wed 8/Oct/14 9:58am

If you aim for twitchy-as-fuck setup you should be sweet. You might get toe overlap. This would be computely normal.
I'm 168cm, ride a 52cm roadie, but the track bike I borrowed in Melbs would tend to be smaller than the roadie ( 51cm ideally) The 53cms were too big.

And twist the stem slightly to the right to compensate for the left hand corners... :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 8/Oct/14 10:19am

Oli wrote:Slightly shorter top tube and/or stem is common, vertical size should follow that.

I'd suggest talking to the PNP track guys to try out their bikes for size - they have a fleet of loaners to borrow.

Lisa is going to do track this season and is borrowing Martine Barnes' bike. I had a pedal round on that and it felt tiny, front end was very low and short, I felt all sorts of cramped up, will have to see how that bike measures up and size up from there.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-track- ... meset.html was looking at one of these maybe. I see a few of them around (but never in my size) so they must be OK
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 8/Oct/14 8:12pm

we have sold a handful of these and people seem to have liked them http://pakebikes.com/product/CDBF75/Fre ... +Frame+Set

The few trackies I dealt with when I worked in a bike shop seemed to suggest that generally shorter than what one rode on the road was the way foward for sizing
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts