Advice On Gps Purchase

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 24/Sep/14 6:27pm

I am looking to purchase a GPS based computer / navigation unit.

really looking at a unit that I can upload some sort of file with a predetermined route and use that to navigate by. Not realy interested in heartrate or strava uploads.

What are people using out there??
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Advice On Gps Purchase

Postby znomit on Wed 24/Sep/14 6:39pm

pushbikerider wrote:I am looking to purchase a GPS based computer / navigation unit.

really looking at a unit that I can upload some sort of file with a predetermined route and use that to navigate by. Not realy interested in heartrate or strava uploads.

Etrex 20 or 30. 30hrs use from 2xAA. Open source maps. Create a route in garminconnect and then download it to the GPS. Works well.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Wed 24/Sep/14 9:15pm

Garmin, I use a 75map (I think). Open source for maps, etc. Bit bigger than what most use, but external antenna gets good reception in the back country. Can get bike bar mount as well.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Wed 24/Sep/14 9:51pm

I currently use a Garmin Edge 500 because it is very good at telling where I have been and how fast (or slow) I went. Although you can load 'routes' into it to follow, my practical experience of it in unknown territory was that it was better at beeping at me and telling me that I was now off course, than it was at telling me where to go before I got there. For that reason I think for your purposes the ability to load maps is a must. Which puts you you into the upper range of the Garmin Edge price range.

For the longest of times before the Edge I used a Garmin etrex and if you can stand the extra bulk of them (they are designed as a handheld device) they offer everything including maps that the bike specific range does at a fraction of the price.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 24/Sep/14 10:07pm

my edge 705 does mapping and routing pretty well, maps thanks to the open gps project.
Better accuracy than the newer units too. if you can find a NOS unit you'll be sussed.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby gristle on Wed 24/Sep/14 10:38pm

I've got an Etrex 20 as well. As mentioned, you can upload custom maps etc.
I have uploaded full NZ road maps from free gps project, as well as NZ Topo map.

AA batteries are handy, and the screen is easy to read without the backlight on - longer life.
gristle
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Slim on Thu 25/Sep/14 8:17am

pushbikerider wrote:I am looking to purchase a GPS based computer / navigation unit.

you thinking of Brevet again? :lol:
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby mark2c on Thu 25/Sep/14 9:02am

The Garmin Oregon 600 is very capable and has an awesome daylight readable colour screen with pinch zoom.

The GPS and GLONASS satellite receiver is fast, sensitive and accurate.

Loading in our NZ topo50 maps in is both free and very easy (download the sheets you want from http://www.topomap.co.nz as kmz files and put them in the /Garmin/CustomMaps/ folder on the GPS).

Does the cycling stuff (mounts/cadence etc) and has both Ant+ and Bluetooth.

Takes AA batteries and is rechargeable.

Pity it is a bit $pendy ($515 from PB Technology).
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby ryda on Thu 25/Sep/14 5:23pm

That was a Garmin Etrex (need to check model) SC had on at xmas, the only issue I think was a mapping issue at Ohope ?

It has however decided to switch itself off randomly, but I have had for a few years now and it was a so called factory recondition one?

For navagation and route recording I think it would all you would need and with using aa batteries it easy to buy or carry spares
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 26/Sep/14 7:07am

ryda wrote:That was a Garmin Etrex (need to check model) SC had on at xmas, the only issue I think was a mapping issue at Ohope ?

It has however decided to switch itself off randomly, but I have had for a few years now and it was a so called factory recondition one?

For navagation and route recording I think it would all you would need and with using aa batteries it easy to buy or carry spares

Cool as :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts