Commuter With Alfine Hub And Suspension ?

Postby bikedog on Tue 19/Aug/14 6:04pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if such a bike exists for sale (new preferably) that has the Shimano Alfine 11-Speed hub, or even the 8 speed and front suspension so you can do a bit of trail riding as well ?

Am looking at a commuter bike/trail bike capable for both uses. Can only find the Alfine hub fitted to bikes with no front suspension. Do you know of any bikes with the Alfine rear hub on a bike with suspension ?

Cheers dOG
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Re: Commuter With Alfine Hub And Suspension ?

Postby znomit on Tue 19/Aug/14 7:13pm

This is an N+1 question.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Aug/14 8:58am

check out any Pinion bikes...? Nicolai, maybe?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Danny B on Wed 20/Aug/14 12:54pm

^ Yup Pinion, and the TBC Zerode trail bike...

You could use any full suspension frame with a internal geared hub. You'll need still to run a sprung tensioner regardless to accomodate for chain growth. You can even get an Alfine branded one.
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Postby bikedog on Wed 20/Aug/14 6:27pm

Appears a trail bike with internal geared hub are zero to build it yourself.
Seems nothing available off the shelf.

Avanti and the like surely must see an opportunity here ?
bikedog

Postby znomit on Wed 20/Aug/14 6:29pm

bikedog wrote:Avanti and the like surely must see an opportunity here ?

Why make a do it all bike when you can sell people a road bike, a MTB, and a commuter. :eh:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 20/Aug/14 7:10pm

bikedog wrote:Avanti and the like surely must see an opportunity here ?

Supply, demand.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Danny B on Thu 21/Aug/14 9:01am

znomit wrote:This is an N+1 question.

This.

bikedog wrote:Appears a trail bike with internal geared hub are zero to build it yourself.
Seems nothing available off the shelf.

Avanti and the like surely must see an opportunity here ?

notsureifserious :eh:

So let me get this straight - you are wondering why no one (else*) offers a full suspension bike with a internal geared hub? Have you ridden an internal geared hub - Alfine specifically ? Yes, well compare that with a bike with conventional derailleured gears. The IGH is no way near as effectiant in pedalling. Also you're locating a big hunk of weight at the back of the bike (on the rear axle) which is far from ideal. Add to that the fact that most people after a IGH wan to do away with any form of tensioner or derailleur (to be more mechanically simple for trail fixes etc) so they go with Hardtail 29ers with sliding/rocker dropouts or an EBB. Heaps of folks do that.

Why do you need rear suspension for a commuter anyway? Why not just run high volume tyres at low pressures, and if thats not enough, invest in a CaneCreek thudbuster?

You can by any number of singlespeed 29ers (Kona Unit, Niner SIR, ONE, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Krampus, Salsa El Mariachi) and fit a Alfine hub to it without any dramas whatsoever. Do that.

*As others have already mentioned - Nicolai already offer a bike with a pinion drive.
Danny B

Postby happybaboon on Thu 21/Aug/14 9:25am

He's after a hardtail maing.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby R+P+K on Thu 21/Aug/14 12:28pm

bikedog wrote:Can only find the Alfine hub fitted to bikes with no front suspension.

Why not just buy one of them and add a suspension fork?
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Danny B on Thu 21/Aug/14 1:13pm

UK brand Genesis made a Alfine 11 hardtail in 2013 (they switched to a std 1x10 setup for 2014).
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-High-Latitude-Alfine-Mountain-Bike-2013-Hardtail-Race-MTB_57517.htm

Personally I'd just buy a Kona Unit and fit an alfine 8 rear wheel and a 100mm suspension fork. Should cost you less than $2K

EDIT: or ^this with a Specialized Crave SL (you need the SL version to have an EBB).
Danny B

Postby bikedog on Thu 21/Aug/14 6:50pm

R+P+K wrote:
bikedog wrote:Can only find the Alfine hub fitted to bikes with no front suspension.

Why not just buy one of them and add a suspension fork?

Yeah that might be the idea.
Was just hoping I could get a hardtail bike with front suspension and Alfine hub off the shelf. It will spend most of the time on the road but I would like to b able to ride the odd trail....no jumping and double backflips and stuff !
Cheers
bikedog

Postby bikedog on Wed 3/Jun/15 7:43pm

After making inquiries and other thread questions I've come to the conclusion the Alpine hub is an expensive option that I can't afford or really need, as I don't have a hilly ride. It may have been useful on trail rides with the low gears, but it would most likely spend 90% of the time on the road.
Now looking for a bike with IGH 5 speed or 3 speed, with trail ability. Yet still the pickings are , well, almost none existent.

Also found a lot of people posting negative comments about the alpine belt, that it slipped, and the hub made clunking sounds? or are these just people with a bad experience outside warranty living in the bush who treated their bike like a lawnmower cutting wet grass?
bikedog

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 3/Jun/15 9:23pm

I'm in Chch and so my commute is flat, but I still would never go back to less than the Alfine. I'm basically only ever using 4th 5th and 6th but it's nice to have the rest and I can get up the hills in it if I want to.

Had a Shimano 3 speed previously and never again. 2nd was too low and 3rd was way too far above it that you were always wanting a couple in between. A 5spd might be alright but I couldn't find one at the time.

Alfine is only 3 or 4 hundy
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts