Shimano Alfine Hub 11-speed On A Trail Bike

Postby bikedog on Tue 19/Aug/14 5:58pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a bike made for trail riding that has Shimano Alfine 11-Speed hub, or even the 8 speed ?

Am looking at a commuter bike/trail bike capable for both uses. Can only find the Alfine hub fitted to bikes with no front suspension. Do you know of any bikes with the hub on a bike with suspension ?

Cheers dOG
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Re: Shimano Alfine Hub 11-speed On A Trail Bike

Postby el_booto on Tue 19/Aug/14 6:09pm

DMR bolt ticks those boxes, chainstay pivots around the bb shell and the back end runs their Swapouts modular dropouts

That'd be great fun with an 11sp alfine
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/Aug/14 7:49pm

If you get an Alfine be aware that they need regular oil services or they will crap out.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Aug/14 7:55pm

Out of interest Oli, how regular? And is it easy enough to do at home?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Tue 19/Aug/14 8:23pm

Easy enough to do, and Shimano say one service after 500 miles then every 1500 miles after that - you can do your own metric conversions. From observed experience I would say that service interval needs to be cut in half to be safe.
Oli

Postby happybaboon on Tue 19/Aug/14 9:49pm

Hmmm... That is rather a lot! I was under the impression that the whole idea was to isolate the machinery so that it didn't get contaminated/run through lube so that it doesn't need as much servicing :lol:
happybaboon

Postby Oli on Wed 20/Aug/14 8:10am

They are really designed as a commuter hub, and under light loads I'm sure they'll hold up better - as soon as you introduce any kind of trail riding the loads go up dramatically and the hub life shortens. It's a classic case of trying to use something way out of it's area of comfort but still expecting it to perform optimally.
Oli

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 20/Aug/14 8:33am

There was a Rohloff Speedhub on tardme built to a 26 inch wheel.

Take my advice: don't fuck about, just buy it. Yes Rohloff is heavy, yes there is a fair bit of weight in the wheel which is a long way from the centre of mass of the machine, yes it can be a bit hard on rear rims if you thrash it off road and you are a numpty like I am.

Just run biggish tyres and maybe tubes instead of tubeless.

The Rohloff, however, performs exactly as advertised, they are bulletproof, they are suitable for offroad use, and there are people with over 100000ks on them in Yrp.

Seriously, that is an absolute bargain, get all up in that shit. Plus it comes with most of the shit you need.

Rohloff hub is the only bit of cycling gear I regret selling.... and I ride once every 18months now.

edit: just checked my expired listings and it was sold. Took a while.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling ... 643996.htm

TL;DR: Buy a damn Rohloff don't fuck about.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 20/Aug/14 8:34am

PS I have an 8 speed Alfine wheelset with around 100km on it that I would sell for the correct money.
Henry Dorset Case

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/Aug/14 9:04am

Oli wrote:Easy enough to do, and Shimano say one service after 500 miles then every 1500 miles after that - you can do your own metric conversions. From observed experience I would say that service interval needs to be cut in half to be safe.

wowser, i had no idea it was that often... i'd better get to it, i've chucked a couple thousand kms through my 8spd and never touched it... mind you, thats only commuting and once or twice up the hills not pushing it very hard - Surly Troll, with 2.35inch Fat Franks. and the chch residential river redzone every day running the dog, which is 'off road' conditions.

i'd found http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ine-8-igh/
a while back, and figured with his history I'd probably be okay. better get it sorted.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 20/Aug/14 11:36am

happybaboon wrote:Hmmm... That is rather a lot! I was under the impression that the whole idea was to isolate the machinery so that it didn't get contaminated/run through lube so that it doesn't need as much servicing :lol:

That probably is the case with a Rohloff hub.
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 20/Aug/14 11:37am

Oli wrote:They are really designed as a commuter hub, and under light loads I'm sure they'll hold up better - as soon as you introduce any kind of trail riding the loads go up dramatically and the hub life shortens. It's a classic case of trying to use something way out of it's area of comfort but still expecting it to perform optimally.

Ah, OK.

I thrash my commuter though. I mean, I look after it, but the traffic round here means I have to ride on the footpath a lot and the footpath is shit. Also, when I ride on the roads, the roads are also shit.
happybaboon

Postby Oli on Wed 20/Aug/14 1:42pm

R+P+K wrote:
happybaboon wrote:Hmmm... That is rather a lot! I was under the impression that the whole idea was to isolate the machinery so that it didn't get contaminated/run through lube so that it doesn't need as much servicing :lol:

Yep, a Rohloff hub is an entirely different story - they can seemingly be thrashed with impunity. :thumbsup:
Oli

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 20/Aug/14 2:26pm

R+P+K wrote:

Rohloff is once a year or every 5000km.

http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/3_S ... 06_web.pdf
Henry Dorset Case

Postby laworder on Wed 20/Aug/14 3:42pm

Oli wrote:Easy enough to do, and Shimano say one service after 500 miles then every 1500 miles after that - you can do your own metric conversions. From observed experience I would say that service interval needs to be cut in half to be safe.

Thats interesting, I've had mine serviced twice so far, probably coming up time to get it done again as I put around 80-100km a week on it most weeks. Probably average around 3-4000 kms a year. Got it about 3-4 years ago, and it hasn't really given me any trouble so far. Only used for commuting and easy trail use, although some of the roads are as rough as any mtb trail I did find some places are totally thrown by internal hubs and have no idea what to do, others are fine

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts