Marzocchi 350 Cr Vs Rockshox Pike Rct3??

Postby Nicksen on Tue 12/Aug/14 9:22pm

Thinking about getting one of these two... but which one? Couldn't find much about the 350 CR, just a couple guys who tried it, liked it but didn't provide much info.

The Pikes are highly rated but how are they after a year or 18 months?? Still as plush as at the start?

I've read a few reviews on the 55 CR as the 350 is supposedly the same but for 27.5. They definitely look like a good fork and I'm wondering how they perform against a Pike cos everybody keeps raving about it. Or should I wait for the 350 NCR (and how much will that one cost?)?

Looking for something stiff and solid that irons out small bumps, doesn't dive excessively and holds the line when riding fast and aggressive. My Fox Float 34 Evos just don't cut it in my opinion...

cheers in advance :)
Nicksen
Member for: 3 years 4 months

Re: Marzocchi 350 Cr Vs Rockshox Pike Rct3??

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12/Aug/14 9:57pm

How much do you care about weight?
The Marzo is likely [citation needed] heavier.

How good are you about regular servicing? I love my Lyriks - heavy Pike with longer service interval (though less bling damper).
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby mbl77 on Wed 13/Aug/14 5:09am

No experience with the Marzo, but if I could marry my Pike I would. Its bloody fantastic.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Wed 13/Aug/14 9:34am

No experience with the 350CR or the new Pike, but I do have 2 x pair of 55 RC3 Ti which I love. Some of the best forks I have ever ridden. Had fox and RS forks over the years and none of them felt as good as the Marz... I had a pair of the original Pikes back in the day which were good.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Colin on Wed 13/Aug/14 9:55am

I know a bike that used to run 55's. Now has Pikes after one ride on some else's Pike equipped bike.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby ButtersNZ on Wed 13/Aug/14 10:44am

I would recommend Lyrics too. I have been riding a Lyric RC2L fork and it's excellent. People seem to love Pikes though.

Magura TS8 R is another fork that I've heard good things about. Stiff and light. Something a bit different.. also sounds like it has what you're after..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/magura-ts-8-r-1 ... tb-fork-1/

The TS8 R in general seems to cater to riders who prefer a fork that rides higher in its travel and high speed rather than a fork that caters first and foremost to comfort.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Magura-TS8 ... ested.html

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2013 ... 21crx.aspx

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/F ... 650b,14125
ButtersNZ
Member for: 3 years 11 months

Postby Nicksen on Wed 13/Aug/14 7:39pm

Cheers for the replies. I don't care about weight all to much but don't want to go too heavy on the front either. so maybe 2.2kg ish max? Unfortunately the Lyric doesn't come for 27.5" wheels, I think. Should have maybe stressed that more that I'm looking for a 27.5er trail/AM (I hate the word enduro, sorry :p ) fork.

Yes the pike seems like a nice fork but I'm just a wee bit concerned about servicing, durability, etc. Whereas Marzos are known to be low maintenance and bombproof. However, the new 350 CR (and 55CR) are air forks and no Ti coil as far as I'm aware so that's why I asked.

My LBS guy recommends the 350 CR but (as many other LBS guys across CHC) he hates RS.

@ButtersN: Not sure about the Magura, heard they are good but bloody expensive to service...
Nicksen
Member for: 3 years 4 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts