Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2014/15

Postby Rik on Wed 30/Jul/14 1:17pm

Season SIX (1 August 2014 – 30 April 2015)

The Winter season has flown past, so quickly infact I nearly forgot to open this seasons leaderboard.

Unless there is mass objection, I propose we retain the same climbs (and rules) as last seaeson, I like the mix of short, longer and 'classic' climbs, that are all relatively easy to access from town.

Doors open officially, midnight Friday 1st August, but I expect the board to be awash with riders completing 'the full house' by the end of this weekend.

Time to dust off the old roadies and warm the legs.

Climbs
1 Sumner-Evans-Mount Pleasant, 6.23km, 406m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255681119 - Starts at intersection of Heberden Av and Evans Pass Rd (the top of the triangle island), head up Evans Pass Rd, turns right at Evans Pass onto Summit Rd and ends at intersection of Broadleaf Ln.
2 Dyers-Summit-Worsleys, 7.49km, 409m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/254432819 - Follows 3a or 3b to Dyers Pass, turns right onto Summit Rd, and then right again onto Worsleys Rd, finishing at the end of that.
3a Dyers Pass Road, 5.70km, 326m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5104147 - Starts at Centaurus Rd (start of incline), heads up Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
3b Dyers Pass Road via Hackthorne, 5.70km, 326m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5102205 - Starts at Cashmere Rd (start of incline), heads up Hackthorne Rd, turns right onto Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
4 Governers-Dyers, 2.91km, 328m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5105105 - Starts at Governors Bay Rd (start of incline), heads up Dyers Pass Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
5 Mount Pleasant Road, 4.70km, 403m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/263704141 - Starts at Main Rd (start of incline), heads up Mt Pleasant Rd and ends at intersection of Summit Rd.
6 Halswell Quarry-Kennedys Bush, 1.31km, 86m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255558567 - Starts at start of incline on Kennedys Bush Rd (Halswell Quarry entrance) and ends at the first rock crossing immediately before Watlings Pl.
7 Major Aitken Drive, 1.64km, 151m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/255674625 - Starts at Centaurus Rd (start of incline), heads up Major Aitken Dv and ends at the intersection of Stonewall Pl.
8 The B*stard, 4.63km, 328m, http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5115426 - Starts at cattlestop on Gebbies Pass and ends at top cattlestop on Summit Rd.

Conditions:
1) No cheating
2) The King or Queen with the greatest score over the average gets first pick of the prizes. So best you encourage your slower firends to get out there to make you look better!
3) Your score must include all 8 climbs

Procedure:
Open to anyone
1. Ride up the hill as fast as you can, and record your time. A registered time should be done in neutral conditions, i.e. no wind assistance (see below for clarification) or draughting.
2. Submit your time to the board by either:
  • Enter a new time manually by clicking the 'Enter times' button.
  • Upload a GPX file retrieved from your GPS. The system will scan this file looking for leaderboard routes. You then simply select which times you want to submit to the leaderboard.
  • For those not up to the task of all this new fangled technology can post their time "like we used to do in the good 'ol days of the vorb leaderboard" and I'll update board when I get around to it.
3. Don't forget to post a reply about you ride anyway, it keeps the topic fresh.
4. Check out your position on the board and try and improve it by completing more climbs or riding up them faster! The table is sorted by number of times, then rider rankings. Your ranking is calculated from your time as it relates to other's times (rating estimates get more accurate as number of climbs go up). Rating scale: 100 = average, 120 = 20% faster than average, 80 = 20% slower than average.

Problems uploading GPX files?
If you are having problems getting a GPX trace to recognise times. You can check your route against the leaderboard defined routes by uploading the file here

More info:

Season 5 2013/14 Leaderboard
Season 4 2011/12 Leaderboard
Season 3 2010/11 Leaderboard
Season 2 2009/10 Leaderboard
Season 1 2008/9 Leaderboard

Guidance on wind assistance:
=} If you are riding at the less competitive end of the board don't worry too much about wind assistance.
=} Otherwise, please try and be honest and don't post assisted times. A rough guide is a wind with velocity of more than approx. 2m/s (7kph) in the directions indicated by 'X's in table below, but ultimately it is up to you to decide.
By all means post assisted times but make it clear they are not to go on the board!
Checking the wind velocity and direction after a ride can be done on this site http://www.geog.canterbury.ac.nz/weathe ... rent.shtml
The best site for predicting conditions is http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/diamond_lyttelton_harbour If the wind bar is 4-5 knots or below then there is a chance that conditions will be suitable. If the bars are sitting around 0-2 then it's highly likely it'll be green for go.
Other wind information can be found at http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/93780.html#PWS

Code: Select all
      S-Ev   MjAkn  Dyers   Gov-D   Mt P   HQ-Ken   B*td

N      X             X               X
NNE    X             X               X
NE     X
ENE    X
E      X
ESE                           X                           
SE                            X                           
SSE                           X                           
S                             X                           
SSW                           X                           
SW                                                 
WSW                                                 
W                                                   
WNW                  X               X             
NW                   X               X
NNW                  X               X

Power Calculations:
We use the standard calcs (very close to the set used by Strava) for work uphill, rolling resistance and wind resistance. They make a lot of assumptions on the variables in the equations, but the biggest variable is your weight.

You should never ask a lady her age or weight so we make assumptions about weights for males and females(if you tell us your sex). Or you can put in your own weight, all in the profile tab in your User Control Panel if you want a more accurate calculation.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Port Hills Road Leaderboard 2014/15

Postby mfw on Thu 31/Jul/14 1:08pm

Surprised this thread hasn't heard from Noel or Trees yet..?
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 31/Jul/14 2:46pm

Sorry,
we wont be able to do them all for a couple of weeks.
Got football on Saturday and then cyclocross on Sunday.
I'm picking up a new bike on Sunday afternoon, so all the hills the following weekend might be a good first ride.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby parkerd on Sat 2/Aug/14 3:12pm

Started the season by doing all eight in one ride - times not great and they will present an easy target to get past - the challenge is to get a better time for all in a single ride
parkerd
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby Salamander on Sun 3/Aug/14 8:49am

The last time I played this game was back in season 3. Maybe time to play again :)
Salamander
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Sun 10/Aug/14 3:18pm

What a fantastic day to dip a cold toe In this year's leaderboard. Cool, blue skies, loads of people about on bikes

Truth be know I had little tail wind blowing up the last pinch to the top of Worsleys. So I'd like to thank the wind gods for without whom I don't think I would have made it to the top.

That same wind however made the going a lot tougher up Major 'pain in the' Aitken.

And that was me spent for the day.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby XCguy on Mon 11/Aug/14 1:40pm

Had a blast on Saturday knocking off a few more of these climbs. I even took my roadie on a bit of a wee adventure up to the Mt P trig to enjoy the view :)
Mt Pleasant Trig.jpg
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Mon 11/Aug/14 9:03pm

XCguy wrote:Had a blast on Saturday knocking off a few more of these climbs. I even took my roadie on a bit of a wee adventure up to the Mt P trig to enjoy the view :)

Practising for 'Road Bike Party 3"? :D
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby mJw on Sat 16/Aug/14 4:54pm

Bit of a lurker while at uni - back in town now and time to get involved. 100k with 2k of climbing today - what a day for it!!!
mJw
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby Trees on Thu 21/Aug/14 9:49am

mfw wrote:Surprised this thread hasn't heard from Noel or Trees yet..?

Managed to get out for a couple of slow ones yesterday to get things started, too much working & not enough biking over winter seems to make me slow up the hills :hmmm:

Nice work Parkerd on the all 8er effort. Makes me keen to give it another go sometime this season...
Trees
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby murphyflair on Sat 23/Aug/14 4:17pm

Looking forward to the encouragement of this leaderboard again. The climbs were a bit harder than what I remembered :cry:
murphyflair
User avatarMedal
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby Kwheels on Mon 25/Aug/14 2:04pm

fraew where are you? :eh:

Start getting those times up everyone.
Kwheels
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Sun 7/Sep/14 4:44pm

What a glorious day to be climbing hill Aah.

Today on the menu:
Mount Pleasant for an appetizer, followed by Sumner -> Mount Pleasant for Mains. I was too full after that lot for desert.

Funny every time I tried to get some momentum up from Sumner my legs took over at kept flicking the gear lever back to the rear big cog. Next time I think I'm going to tape my fingers to the bars so they can't tap the lever.

Parkerd - Seriously, you don't expect us to believe that Sumner/Mt Pleasant time wasn't motor assisted. That is a stunning time. Bravo
Rik

Postby parkerd on Tue 9/Sep/14 8:29pm

Having problems uploading gpx file - reporting as a problem does not work - manual entry won't update either - not sure if anyone else has any problems - on a Mac with safari but maybe the issue is the other end - I have a new time for Gebbies showing in manual entry but it won't refresh on this page

Hopefully another ride on the weekend
parkerd
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby Al_Bushman on Wed 10/Sep/14 8:27am

Rik wrote: Parkerd - Seriously, you don't expect us to believe that Sumner/Mt Pleasant time wasn't motor assisted. That is a stunning time. Bravo

Just doing the calcs on the splits. If that time from Sumner to Mt Pleasant is legit, that's Pro-tour level. :cry:
Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycling | Leaderboards | Road Cycling - Latest Posts