Avanti Explorer 3 V Avanti Montari 27.2

Postby bikedog on Fri 25/Jul/14 5:11pm

Hi,
Still looking at commuter options, now someone has raised the question what happens if you want to go off the road a bit, up and down the curbs to get away from cars etc, that nice Avanti INC 2 isn't going to cope with that is it ?
So back to the hunt and now perhaps considering an Avanti Explorer 3 v Avanti Montari 27.2
Baring in mind most riding should be on the road.
Or would an Avanti INC 2 be tough enough for a bit of curb hoping and trails ? or would it just be to jarring on my old 50 year old body ?
I really do like that INC 2, but if I'm having to pay something like $1500, I really want something that can survive a bit off the road. I'm not talking jumps or rough terrain.
Your thoughts ?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Re: Avanti Explorer 3 V Avanti Montari 27.2

Postby OliverBendix on Fri 25/Jul/14 6:16pm

The explorer, if it's this one will be fine to hop curbs provided you do it with some finesse. It's not a super fragile bike.

Smacking straight into a curb at speed with all your weight on the saddle will be tough on any bike, if you're gonna hop curbs learn to unweight your wheels and you can do it on nearly anything.

edit: soz I can't read properly while watching Captain America at the same time! Any of the three bikes you mention can hop a curb.
Last edited by OliverBendix on Fri 25/Jul/14 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Fri 25/Jul/14 6:19pm

Its got big 37c tyres so should cope with the odd lump and bump.

Otherwise you can get a cross bike and put slicks on it for commuting and knobblies back on for gravel.
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/7YB2 ... cross-bike.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby mbl77 on Fri 25/Jul/14 6:20pm

I think the INC will be just fine hopping on and off kerbs. Riding into kerbs, not such a good idea. Heck, I hop my road bike on and off kerbs and nothing has ever broken.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 25/Jul/14 6:47pm

I'd be focusing on 29" wheel bikes, and although its a bit more expensive than the 27.2, the 29.3 is what i'd get - the M395 brakes are just so good for the money, and all the other bits on it are decent quality.
http://www.avantiplus.co.nz/products/av ... --grey-red
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby dented on Fri 25/Jul/14 7:58pm

Get the Inc, it will be fine, designed as a no-nonsense maintenance free commuter. Can easily handle curb hopping if that's your only concern. Explorer is an old persons bike. Montara 29.3 has not existed for a couple of years now. Nobody is supposed to know yet, but 2015 Avanti launch is only 2 weeks away and a little birdie has informed me the Giro will be available with disc brakes and enough clearance for CA tyres, so possibly another consideration for you.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby bikedog on Fri 25/Jul/14 8:33pm

Heh Dented, so big sale coming up then for old 2013/24 Avanti bikes ?

Guy's, girls, I haven't riden a bike for 30 years, no kidding, 30 years. But I used to rid to school every day for 10 years odd, rain or snow, in school uniform. Get to school white...ice coated. It was what we did back then.

Anyway, you reacon the Avanti INC 2 is hardy enough to handle a bit of rough and tumble, I am, even at 50.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby dented on Fri 25/Jul/14 9:16pm

You might find some sale bikes, at some Avanti stores. However there is an Avanti outlet store in Auckland, for the express purpose of disposal of old stock, so store owners don't have to take a bath on old stock. Some other bike stores do bikes at 50% off, year round, apparently. :D
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 26/Jul/14 12:06pm

dented wrote:Montara 29.3 has not existed for a couple of years now.

Aw what - I was considering one to turn into a singlespeed!
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts