Passing On The Left

Postby LisaWhk on Tue 10/Jun/14 12:03pm

Hi
I've been having the same discussion with several people lately and got frustrated enough to try to find an answer. I thought I'd pass on what I was told in case others aren't clear too. The cyclist road code doesn't make it clear at all, IMO.
The question - can cyclists pass other road users on the left even if there isn't a cycling lane or a 'lane' of any kind.
The answer - yes.
This is from two separate people at NZTA, and then confirmed by the local police station. Apparently the rule preventing 'undertaking' only applies to motor vehicles in the Act (2004?).
It's not what I thought was the case, so there you go. If you've been told otherwise, interested to know by whom, as I'll go back to NZTA & the police to double check...
Lisa
LisaWhk
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Re: Passing On The Left

Postby slumdog on Wed 11/Jun/14 11:38am

You might be able to do it Lisa, I've learnt my lesson not to though...
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby WH on Wed 11/Jun/14 1:29pm

See http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303050.html:
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 wrote:2.8Passing on left
(1)A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance with this clause.
(2)In any case in which the movement referred to subclause (1) may be made,—
(a)the 2 vehicles must be in different lanes; or
(b)the overtaken vehicle must be stationary or its driver must have given or be giving the prescribed signal of that driver's intention to turn right; or
(c)if the overtaken vehicle is a light rail vehicle moving in the same direction, the light rail vehicle must not be—
(i)signalling an intention to turn left or to stop; or
(ii)stationary for the purposes of allowing passengers to alight or board.
(3)If the roadway is marked in lanes, the driver may make the movement referred in subclause (1) only if the driver's vehicle does not encroach on a lane that is unavailable to a driver.

"Driver" means:
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 wrote:a person driving a vehicle; and includes the rider of an all terrain vehicle, a motorcycle, a moped, a cycle, a mobility device, or a wheeled recreational device
so includes cyclists.

So you can pass on the left, in the same lane, if the vehicle is turning right (assuming they are indicating or have indicated), or if the vehicle you are passing is a light rail vehicle as per the sub-clauses above. And you also need to observe the genral rules for passing (either side):
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 wrote:2.6General requirements about passing other vehicles
(1)A driver must not pass or attempt to pass another vehicle moving in the same direction unless—
(a)the movement can be made with safety; and
(b)the movement is made with due consideration for other users of the road; and
(c)sufficient clear road is visible to the driver for the passing movement to be completed without impeding or being likely to impede any possible opposing traffic; and
(d)until the passing movement is completed, the driver has a clear view of the road and any traffic on the road for at least 100 m in the direction in which the driver is travelling.
(2)Subclause (1)(c) and (d) does not apply if the passing vehicle and the vehicle being passed are in different lanes and are, throughout the passing movement, either on a one-way road or on the same side of the centre line.
(3)A driver must not, when passing another vehicle moving in the same direction, move into the line of passage of that vehicle until the manoeuvre can be made safely and without impeding the movement of that other vehicle

Note that clause 2.6(1) includes the word 'moving'. This means that technically you can undertake (pass on the left) a line of stationary traffic, say on the approach to a give-way or red light, in the same lane. But, once that traffic starts moving, you are then contravening clause 2.8 if you continue to pass vehicles.
WH
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby WH on Wed 11/Jun/14 1:30pm

Although as slumdog points out, more often than not it's wiser not to do it at all.
WH
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Wed 11/Jun/14 3:51pm

Ask yourself how regularly you check your lefthand mirror before turning left, crossing the side line on lefthand bends, etc. Don't underpass moving vehicles. Is very bad idea.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 11/Jun/14 6:43pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:Ask yourself how regularly you check your lefthand mirror before turning left, crossing the side line on lefthand bends, etc. Don't underpass moving vehicles. Is very bad idea.

I'm another one for not passing moving traffic on the left because of the above - this is especially the case for vehicles where I cannot see the drivers face from where I am (ie, vans, trucks, and anything else where the driver is high up with obstructed vision on the left of their vehicle)
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 11/Jun/14 7:01pm

They do that even if there's a cycle lane :huh:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 11/Jun/14 10:13pm

:withstupid:

I once was hit by a woman who I had passed well prior.
we were both travelling in the same direction, she was stationary and i was well past her.
but she was gawping out her drivers side window at something irrelevant and hit me from behind.
It was my fault according to her, but strangely she wasn't keen to get the police to adjudicate on the matter. :hmmm:

also taken out by a pedestrian walking fast between stopped cars and texting. :rolleyes:

you need to be really careful.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby laworder on Thu 12/Jun/14 9:14am

Purple_Helmet wrote:Ask yourself how regularly you check your lefthand mirror before turning left, crossing the side line on lefthand bends, etc. Don't underpass moving vehicles. Is very bad idea.

Always. Any competent driver should. But then, nowhere near all drivers are competent....so slumdogs advise stands

Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby LisaWhk on Thu 12/Jun/14 11:05am

WH - thanks for that. That sounds to me like I was right, and you aren't actually legally able to pass *moving* traffic on the left (which was what I had always thought) even if it is very slow moving. I'm going to go back to them.

Others - what you are legally allowed to do and what you can do safely in any given situation can be of course very different things. But bear in mind I live in a small town and there are numerous situations where it is safer and more sensible to pass waiting vehicles on the left and wait at the front of the queue.

ETA - like Peter said, I always check my mirror before moving left. But then I also always look in my mirror before opening my car door. Both things that I rarely observe others doing...
LisaWhk
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Thu 12/Jun/14 12:42pm

laworder wrote:

Always. Any competent driver should.

Really? I would've thought competent drivers would be keeping their attention focused on the intersection and far more dangerous variables, rather than diverting their attention to look for people illegally undertaking them.
Purple_Helmet

Postby happybaboon on Thu 12/Jun/14 12:51pm

Competent drivers should know what is behind them at all times. By looking regularly at all three mirrors. It's like, the road code and shit.
Although clearly undertaking someone around a corner (at pace) is a retarded thing to do.
Really, undertaking at any speed over a crawl is a retarded thing to do - if traffic is moving at a reasonable clip you should be riding in the middle of the lane, in traffic. Unless you live in an area where drivers can be trusted to overtake you safely (so Europe... and not Australia or NZ)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 12/Jun/14 6:57pm

Yup, you can fail your driving test for not checking your mirrors often enough.
As I hate being turned left on, I try to always check.
Though I went overboard and was warned for doing it too often.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Thu 12/Jun/14 9:59pm

You can easily track what's behind you - from the left rear pillar to the right blindspot - with a quick glance at the rear and right mirrors. Looking at the left mirror requires you to turn your head away from the road, focus on a more distant piece of glass and register what's going on. It takes significantly longer, moves almost all of the road in front of you out of your field of view and has questionable value if it is employed solely to check for people illegally undertaking when your attention could be better employed on what's happening in the direction you're travelling. Whenever appropriate, sure, check the left mirror. But every time you move left? No freaken way. That would only increase the likelihood of a far worse collision than cutting off someone undertaking you.
Purple_Helmet

Postby happybaboon on Thu 12/Jun/14 10:10pm

Any time you are moving out of the flow of traffic (so either turning left, or changing lanes to the left) you need to be checking the left hand mirror. If you are changing lanes you should also turn your head right around and look. Seriously - that shit's in the driving test too. They also expect you to turn your head for a peek before you drive past a street entrance/exit :blink:
Last edited by happybaboon on Thu 12/Jun/14 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts