Worn Discs (car)

Postby Rik on Mon 5/May/14 10:24am

The front discs on my trusty old Galant are getting annoying juddery under braking. They keep getting through the warrant, but it would be nice to be able to glide up to stop lights, rather than feel like I'm on top of a Saturn 5 booster rocket.

So question is, is it easier/cheaper to get them skimmed or just buy new discs?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Worn Discs (car)

Postby thorg on Mon 5/May/14 10:27am

just use the shimano upgrade kit - you'll be sweet.

#genericvorbbanterandratherlonghashtag
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby RugbySucks on Mon 5/May/14 10:36am

Rik wrote:The front discs on my trusty old Galant are getting annoying juddery under braking. They keep getting through the warrant, but it would be nice to be able to glide up to stop lights, rather than feel like I'm on top of a Saturn 5 booster rocket.

So question is, is it easier/cheaper to get them skimmed or just buy new discs?

Just been through this myself. Get the mobile disc brake guy to come around and skim them at your house. He has a machine to skim them on-site.
Cost me about $110 from memory.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 5/May/14 10:39am

what pads are you running? shitty ones can cause all sorts of odd behaviours.

if your discs are warped I'd bin them for new ones skimming is a hit and miss affair at the best of times.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby dented on Mon 5/May/14 10:50am

Depends how bad the juddering is. Discs have a minimum thickness too. If they have to skim too much off them to get them having no runout, then they are rubbish bin material anyway, normally a skim only works if you catch it early. Also, they mainly get warped due to either overheating, or just too many hot/cold cycles. And skimming them is just making them more prone to warping again (there is less disc thickness, ergo less material). Try repco or BNT for a kit, they normally do a kit with new discs, new wheel bearings a,d new pads
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby ButtersNZ on Mon 5/May/14 10:54am

Super easy to replace yourself. Buy new ones. I get mine from BNT. You will need your chassis number and/or rego from memory. Expect to pay about $40 each.
ButtersNZ
Member for: 3 years 9 months

Postby neels on Mon 5/May/14 11:36am

New discs are cheap, I'd go with that instead of machining already worn ones. BNT at the airport are nice friendly chaps to deal with.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby danose on Mon 5/May/14 12:06pm

Rik wrote:So question is, is it easier/cheaper to get them skimmed or just buy new discs?

if they're above the min thickness skimming is fine (since it basically machines back to a perfectly parallel state) - if they've been done too many times they'll tell you and then you're up for new rotors (more $ obviously - but not totally horrendous on most cars)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 5/May/14 12:12pm

neels wrote:New discs are cheap, I'd go with that instead of machining already worn ones. BNT at the airport are nice friendly chaps to deal with.

:withstupid:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby dented on Mon 5/May/14 12:14pm

Discss also get thinner just through being used, ie: you can find that discs are below minimum thickness even if they have never been skimmed since new.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 6/May/14 10:06am

danose wrote:
Rik wrote:So question is, is it easier/cheaper to get them skimmed or just buy new discs?

if they're above the min thickness skimming is fine (since it basically machines back to a perfectly parallel state) - if they've been done too many times they'll tell you and then you're up for new rotors (more $ obviously - but not totally horrendous on most cars)

mates XR6 Flacoon turbo thing (quite a quick car for something so horrible) cost him $3k to get a warrant one time because of needing new discs and pads and shit. I giggled.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 6/May/14 10:12am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:mates XR6 Flacoon turbo thing (quite a quick car for something so horrible) cost him $3k to get a warrant one time because of needing new discs and pads and shit. I giggled.

Must have got it done at the Ford dealership at the road from my place!!
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Tue 6/May/14 10:36am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:mates XR6 Flacoon turbo thing (quite a quick car for something so horrible) cost him $3k to get a warrant one time because of needing new discs and pads and shit. I giggled.

Aaah, the joys of having a car that weights slightly less than a supertanker
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby scatter on Tue 6/May/14 10:39am

Frikkin Outback I used to own was like that. Chewed through discs and pad :hmmm:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Slim on Tue 6/May/14 10:42am

it was over $1000 to get discs and pads for my old Navara, on most new cars the rotor is also a wear component. They need to be softish to get the braking performance to stop the heavy POS.

like the rest of them have said, if the rotors are worn, get new ones, if they are only warped, then a skim is fine.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts