Good Waterproof Bandages?

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Apr/14 8:45am

So I rammed my shin into the towbar of my car. Like "holy mother of god I'VE DESTROYED MY LEG!" kind of thing.

Lots of skin gone, much ouchie. Want to keep riding but don't want the infectious death that comes with it, has anyone got any good recommendations for a plaster/bandage that keeps the crud out while riding?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Good Waterproof Bandages?

Postby scatter on Mon 21/Apr/14 9:05am

How big an area are we talking? Is it still oozing? :alien:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Apr/14 9:17am

Still oozing. About a 6cm diameter.

I always get paranoid about doing damage there after a couple of friends got necrotizing fasciitis in that spot... maybe I'm just experiencing hypochondria.
Scotty

Postby Zoom on Mon 21/Apr/14 9:27am

I would put a wound pad on it, then tape heaps of strapping tape over and around your calf. Strapping tape isn't waterproof but it takes a lot for the water to seep through. Shins are soooo sore. You just need a kid to kick it now!
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Mon 21/Apr/14 9:31am

Opsite.
Get it from the pharmacy.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Apr/14 9:56am

Forgot about opsite, got heaps at work.

Oh yes. Really looking forward to C-dawg doing that. Lower leg swelled up so bad last night it went dead. Popped some voltaren and hoped it would settle down.

Fortunately it did, still stingy ouchie though.
Scotty

Postby Conners on Mon 21/Apr/14 10:30am

Once it's settled down a bit those second skin blister plasters might be a good option to keep it waterproof?
Not sure if you can get them quite that big though?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Mon 21/Apr/14 11:20am

I got a silver impregnated patch from the pharmacy when my chainring got intimate with my shin. Looked like tegaderm, I think I redressed it every few days just to air it but it stuck fine through a few wet days on tour.

Shins take forever to heal, not much blood flow.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Crashed on Mon 21/Apr/14 11:24am

Opsite is the way to go, they make them big enough for your shin .I always have a few big ones at home 15.5cmx8.5cm about $5 each from your pharmacy.
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Mon 21/Apr/14 6:37pm

I used to use telfa pads and duct tape for blisters while tramping. I would survive multiple river crossings :thumbsup:
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Mel on Mon 21/Apr/14 7:13pm

Once you've sorted some padding for your shin, get one of those rubber bumpers for your tow-bar tongue. Totally worth the ugliness to not skin your shin again (or your kids hips). :thumbsup:
Mel

Postby lubie on Wed 23/Apr/14 11:15am

Mel wrote:Once you've sorted some padding for your shin, get one of those rubber bumpers for your tow-bar tongue. Totally worth the ugliness to not skin your shin again (or your kids hips). :thumbsup:

:lol: Trojan
lubie

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 23/Apr/14 12:44pm

lubie wrote:
Mel wrote:Once you've sorted some padding for your shin, get one of those rubber bumpers for your tow-bar tongue. Totally worth the ugliness to not skin your shin again (or your kids hips). :thumbsup:

:lol: Trojan

Or you could wrap it in hi-vis tape.
Not so reliable but you could have fun chasing your partner around with it.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slumdog on Wed 23/Apr/14 8:50pm

I had a decent crash, still patched up.

They been using 3m Tegaderm as the outside waterproofing for all the bandages, and it is fully awesome. Of course hope you flushed the shit out of it, then betadine or similar antiseptic applied. They then add a nonstick gauze, then absorbent pad, then tegaderm. Give plenty of clearance around the padding with opsite or tegaderm as it can lift within about 5-10mm area around.

They also have used those silver pads. I suggest using the ones with silicone facing to wound, as the foam alone stuck/ripped off bits onto the scabbing, which was awesome when they had to pull it off.

Also, if it is a bad gash, they like to keep the wound moist rather than drying it out (hence the covering), and actually pick the scabbing off the edges, then rewash with saline and reapply betadine before redressing. Another one called an AMD or some such, goes on a raw patch, comes off 4 days later and it is as if there was no injury at all.

Good luck.
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts