4x4 Winch Bars - Talk To Me

Postby Scotty on Mon 7/Apr/14 8:48pm

Alrighty, as the places I seem to be going are getting gnarlier and gnarlier I've been thinking a winch for the Surf might not be such a bad idea.

What I want to know is, what are the rules about fitting winch bars? Can you just bolt them on and go? Do they have to sit away under the bumper? DO they need cert?

Any advice would be handy. Ta. :)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: 4x4 Winch Bars - Talk To Me

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 7/Apr/14 8:58pm

How modern is your surf?
does it have airbags?
how complete a bar are you thinking? - ie just a glorified nudge bar or a full replacement bumper unit?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Tue 8/Apr/14 7:10am

I never bothered with a fitted winch, just had a tirfor winch and a highlift jack.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Tue 8/Apr/14 8:58am

Slim wrote:I never bothered with a fitted winch, just had a tirfor winch and a highlift jack.

thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 8/Apr/14 11:28am

pushbikerider wrote:How modern is your surf?
does it have airbags?
how complete a bar are you thinking? - ie just a glorified nudge bar or a full replacement bumper unit?

97 - 3rd gen
Yup, airbags.
Glorified nudge if I can get away with it.
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Tue 8/Apr/14 11:31am

Slim wrote:I never bothered with a fitted winch, just had a tirfor winch and a highlift jack.

Yeah, was thinking about that, problem is remembering to take it with you or finding somewhere to stash it.

'cos, well, I like to take impromptu trips to stupid places. I'm the sort of person who shouldn't own this sort of vehicle.
Scotty

Postby Slim on Tue 8/Apr/14 12:44pm

that is the inherant problem with 4x4's, you end up twice as stuck, twice as far from home....
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 8/Apr/14 8:03pm

Scotty wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:How modern is your surf?
does it have airbags?

97 - 3rd gen
Yup, airbags.
Glorified nudge if I can get away with it.

Having a brief sift around the LVVTA info, it doesn't look like you need a cert for a winch or modified bumper unless you mess with the air bag sensors, and providing that its well fitted and doesn't become a hazard.

That said other than a body lift (and a few other cross over with boi racer thongs) there looks to be a lot less theings that require a cert that you might do to a 4WD
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts