Recommend Me A Compact Camera

Postby jo on Mon 3/Mar/14 10:43am

Hi all,
My compact camera, a 2009 Panasonic Lumix, has karked it (focus motor I think). I used to shoot an SLR so I dont want a completely dumbed down camera, but dont want to cart around a door stop either. The size and weight is the main reason I dont have an SLR anymore (loved it, but didnt take it anywhere).
So I'm specifically looking for a compact, with a preference for wide angle capability and usability in low light or high contrast scenarios (ie take it riding/hiking). I dont shoot in RAW and I dont do any after-shot modifications. And no, phones take particularly bad photos in low light and high contrast scenarios. Fine if thats all you got, but overall Im disappointed with their images
I'm somewhat bewildered by the amount choice in compacts so if you have feedback, even if its "I have XYZ and it sucks!" it will help me narrow things down.

Thanking you in advance. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Recommend Me A Compact Camera

Postby phunk on Mon 3/Mar/14 10:51am

When I have some money Im going to get a Sony RX100 - full size sensor in a compact form.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Mon 3/Mar/14 11:06am

R likes his Lumix (bought 2012). Takes good photos.

I have a Canon Powershot A-something or other. I never use it :huh: You're welcome to have a play with them both when you're back here.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby hpg on Mon 3/Mar/14 11:15am

phunk wrote:When I have some money Im going to get a Sony RX100 - full size sensor in a compact form.

I have one of these. Recommended. I used to do a lot with a 35mm SLR (Canon AE1 and Canon A1) but have only ever used the basic compact digitals. I have had to do some reading to dig into what the Sony will do. I can carry it in a wee case on the chest strap of my back pack when on the MTB.
hpg
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby danose on Mon 3/Mar/14 12:10pm

phunk wrote:When I have some money Im going to get a Sony RX100 - full size sensor in a compact form.

rx100 wins on everything except the lack of an electronic viewfinder (there is the optional add-on, but it's big and stupidly dear). Otherwise clearly the leader on all fronts

if you really want an evf there's the nikon p7800 (slightly slower lens and much smaller sensor though), if you can live with a rangefinder there's the G16 and the fuji x's
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Mon 3/Mar/14 12:41pm

Thread hijack.

Talking of Lumix's, if there are dim spots on your shots when zoom has been deployed, is this something that can be cured at all? I'm guessing it's dust (or mould?) somewhere in the lenses.

Cheers, Oli
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby jo on Mon 3/Mar/14 3:04pm

Thanks all - When I get to chch I'll hit scatters place, and a camera shop to try out the sony. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 3/Mar/14 3:12pm

Oli wrote:Thread hijack.

Talking of Lumix's, if there are dim spots on your shots when zoom has been deployed, is this something that can be cured at all? I'm guessing it's dust (or mould?) somewhere in the lenses.

Cheers, Oli

Oli - if its ON the outside of the lens a little air brush or a microfibre cloth should clean it off no worries. If it's inside thats a send away job - it's pretty new isn't it? Under warranty?
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 3/Mar/14 3:43pm

thelivo wrote:
Oli wrote:Thread hijack.

Cheers, Oli

Oli - if its ON the outside of the lens a little air brush or a microfibre cloth should clean it off no worries. If it's inside thats a send away job - it's pretty new isn't it? Under warranty?

Thanks bro, it's on the inside so I'll head down the warranty route. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ringo on Tue 11/Mar/14 6:46am

Fuji x100 is quirky but cool. Reasonably compact (the x20 is smaller still) and can take lovely photos handheld in near darkness without flash due to excellent noise control at high ISO. Great in high contrast too. It's metal, solid and feels completely old school with mechanical dials and aperture control etc. but.... It has a fixed 35mm equivalent lens. No zoom. If you don't care about zoom then it's worth a look.
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Slim on Tue 11/Mar/14 8:13am

jo wrote:Thanks all - When I get to chch I'll hit scatters place, and a camera shop to try out the sony. :)

Mines the water proof, impact resistant one. Great for riding and taking along when doing dumb shit. It does ok for what it is, but certainly has limitations in low light.

It was great in Europe last time riding, but I would have liked something bigger to do the heavy lifting when we were off the bike.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts