Hypothetically Speaking

Postby ArjanH on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:09pm

Say I had some time off work coming up and I wanted to go for a longish ride. (867 KM's with 11398 M of climbing according to to MapmyRide)
Say I wanted to do this unsupported over 4 days.

What would I need bearing in mind that my bike is not a tourer?
Is it possible to carry all I needed in a small backpack or do I need to somehow attach a rack somewhere?

Suggestions?
ArjanH
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Hypothetically Speaking

Postby znomit on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:15pm

I do this on my roadie often.

Revelate pika seatbag.
Largish bento box.
MTB pedals and shoes.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 20/Feb/14 3:23pm

znomit wrote:I do this on my roadie often.

Revelate pika seatbag.
Largish bento box.
MTB pedals and shoes.

Yep, Revelate stuff is perfect. http://www.cycletech.co.nz/parts-and-ac ... ring-bags/
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby ArjanH on Thu 20/Feb/14 8:04pm

znomit wrote:I do this on my roadie often.

Revelate pika seatbag.
Largish bento box.
MTB pedals and shoes.

Judging from the seatbag you tend to stay in bed and breakfasts or hotels? I doubt its big enough for a pup tent and sleeping bag. But that's actually quite a good idea. Solves a bunch of issues from charging Garmins and cellphones to keeping things light and simple.
ArjanH

Postby jimmi on Thu 20/Feb/14 8:48pm

My vote for the Revelate Pika too - Its a fantastic bit of kit. I can also recommend the Revelate gas tank and then shove whatever else into your jersey pockets. Thats what I did my 4 day, 44 hour, 600k MTB ride on, and travelling super light and staying in cheap cabins is highly recommended too!

Have a great ride!
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Thu 20/Feb/14 9:18pm

ArjanH wrote:Judging from the seatbag you tend to stay in bed and breakfasts or hotels?

Yep. Even when I used to carry a tent I rarely used it. Usually theres plenty of room left in the pika too if its summer.
If you want to get extravagant add a handlebar bag. Although I found when I had one I used to stop often to get things I think I need out of it (because its just so damn convenient), and then stop again a few km down the road to put them back in.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby OFFcourse on Thu 20/Feb/14 10:25pm

I have a Revelate Viscacha it's a slightly larger version of the Pika, It's awesome but the tire/bag clearance is not enough on my small frame if your interested in one I could part with it for some $$.
OFFcourse
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby ArjanH on Fri 21/Feb/14 7:23am

I think I am being a little ambitious. I could definitely do a 200K or so ride but to do it 4 days running I am not so sure.

I have decided to work into this ride and plan is for next year. This year I will start doing overnighters (ride somewhere, stay the night and ride back.)
ArjanH

Postby Philthy on Fri 21/Feb/14 5:34pm

A Freeload rack (designed in Dunedin but now made by Thule) or 2 is worth considering. They mount to any bike (except maybe carbon frames?) either front or rear and you can strap a dry bag on top. I've done a few multi day missions with one rear rack, a dry bag on the handlebars and a backpack.
Def MTB shoes, and less gear than you think you'll need!
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Farm on Fri 21/Feb/14 7:18pm

The freeload rack is great if you want to carry a tent or similarly sized things. You can also get attachments for the side so you can use panniers as well.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 21/Feb/14 7:41pm

Or you could get one of these - not as good as a Bob trailer but less than half the price. I have one for carting maintenance gear around the local MTB park. I've seen other trailers that clamp onto the rear axle or the chainstays which is much better for rough track stability, but I think this design is fine for on the road. It has the advantage that you can stick heaps of stuff (tent, sleeping bag, stove ... ) in it, way more than fits on racks, and if you want to go for a side-trip you can just leave the trailer locked up somewhere and your bike is immediately back in high performance condition (if that's what you want).
http://www.cycletrailers.co.nz/html/catalog.html
mtb transport solution.jpg
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby ArjanH on Fri 21/Feb/14 9:25pm

Thanks guys.
As I will be doing 200+ k a day I definitely won't be going for the trailer. Racks I am not overly keen on either so I will probably be going with the Revelate stuff.

I have the list of stuff down to this.

Credit card, 1 bib and top, 1 wind vest, tube of SIS tabs. Charger leads for phone and garmin. 1 pair of shorts, 1 T-shirt, 1 lightweight jacket, jandals, undies, socks.

This is for the initial overnight rides, I will probably add more bibs and tops for longer rides but not much more than that. (maybe some saddle cream)
This is on top of the stuff I normally carry and wear for my normal rides.
I have replaced my C02 pump with a nice small manual and added some patches to the kit.
The idea being that barring any major mechanicals or a tyre completely shredding I should have enough to make it to the next bike shop where Mr Visa will fix whatever is wrong.
Mr Visa is also supplying the food and any other needs during the trips LOL.
ArjanH

Postby tylersdad on Fri 21/Feb/14 9:44pm

spare room is made up and ready.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby jimmi on Sat 22/Feb/14 7:27am

ArjanH wrote:Thanks guys.
As I will be doing 200+ k a day I definitely won't be going for the trailer. Racks I am not overly keen on either so I will probably be going with the Revelate stuff.

I have the list of stuff down to this.

Credit card, 1 bib and top, 1 wind vest, tube of SIS tabs. Charger leads for phone and garmin. 1 pair of shorts, 1 T-shirt, 1 lightweight jacket, jandals, undies, socks.

This is for the initial overnight rides, I will probably add more bibs and tops for longer rides but not much more than that. (maybe some saddle cream)
This is on top of the stuff I normally carry and wear for my normal rides.
I have replaced my C02 pump with a nice small manual and added some patches to the kit.
The idea being that barring any major mechanicals or a tyre completely shredding I should have enough to make it to the next bike shop where Mr Visa will fix whatever is wrong.
Mr Visa is also supplying the food and any other needs during the trips LOL.

For what its worth, I just take a spare T shirt and shorts and wash everything when I get to the overnight stops (no spare socks or undies!). I dont bother with jandals, and also decant all lubes into tiny containers. So saddle cream, chain lube, sunscreen are all in very small 10 - 20ml lots. I took 2 spare tubes and tons of patches last time....might consider just one tube and tons of patches next time.

Also, the advantage of the revelate Gas Tank is you can shove wallet, cellphone, snacks, camera, gels in it and access them on the fly. Its super easy to remove and replace things without stopping.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts