Big River, Reefton

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 10/Feb/14 12:57pm

Hi Team,

After a bit of info on Big River. We are going over in a couple of weeks for a day trip from Hanmer and thinking of doing the 25k in and out option it shows in the Kennetts book. What sort of time should we allow to get to the hut & back ? (We've all done the Molesworth Muster between 4-4/12 hrs to give you some idea) There seems to be a bit of gravel road at the start, about 9k's worth, is this included in the 25k ? Track conditions ? Any good in the wet.

Just want to maximise our time and not miss any gold while we are there.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby sifter on Mon 10/Feb/14 1:11pm

check out the Kiwi Brevet tracking site. The will be dozens of start/finish time stamps in amongst that lot...! Maybe consider the loop?
sifter
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 10/Feb/14 3:44pm

I Think the 25kms includes the inital gravel road, IMHO I would make the effort to do the loop, the gravel road climb is nice enough, but not worth a couple of hundred km's of driving to go and ride.

The Waiuta down is fairly techy, not all rideable, but has some great riding in there, I wish I had my trail bike for that trail during the brevet, rather than my loaded hardtail
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby gumby on Mon 10/Feb/14 9:17pm

pushbikerider wrote: I wish I had my trail bike for that trail during the brevet, rather than my loaded hardtail

Would you choose a trail bike for the whole thing now?
gumby
Member for: 6 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 11/Feb/14 6:42am

gumby wrote:
pushbikerider wrote: I wish I had my trail bike for that trail during the brevet, rather than my loaded hardtail

Would you choose a trail bike for the whole thing now?

I don't think I would take my trail bike for Kiwi Brevet,
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 11/Feb/14 1:46pm

why not go for the Kirwans instead? heli drop, $80 was a head for 8 or us, and it was a hoot of a trip down.

Also while in Reefton, we drove through to Waiuta, and rode in for a while then back out (was end of the day and had to get out before dark), but it was all nice benched singletrack, much more interestinger than open 4wd tracks... imho

OR, venture down and do the Croesus. Up and back is an awesome trip...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby tanadog on Tue 11/Feb/14 4:45pm

Kirwans had a bunch of windfall a month ago - so unless it's been cleared would be a bore ( especially if you'd paid to fly up!)

Re Big River: 2 (fast) - 3 hrs to the hut, an hour of that to the end of the gravel road. To the hut is ok if it's been wet. Allow another couple of hours to get out the Waiuta. Worth doing for sure, rode it on my fully on the brevet and had a ball. In good condition at the mo. A bit of pushing until you hit the top but nice rooty riding after that.

You're probably looking at 6 hrs + for the full loop, but great day out I reckon. Make it worth the drive.
tanadog
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 11/Feb/14 6:01pm

Cheers for the info.

Tana, 6hrs + for you roosters is prolly about 9 for us ! Switchy, the plums just tightened a wee bit re the $80 chopper ride. I'll use that info for one of our HIM(insert season here)TC's

We looked at just the Big River option as we only have the day so 50k was well do-able and leave us the ability to pay some rent at a local and drive back to Hanmer while still light . Waiuta is on our to do list over there and will probably form part of one of our annual High Intensity Mid Winter Training Camps (pissing it up after riding :satan: ).

So to confirm, the 9 odd k of gravel at the start forms part of the 50k described in the bible, and should take athletes of our girth around 5hrs to the hut and back ?

Cheers Team :)
DogsBollocks

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:56am

if you've got a spare couple three hours in Reefton that you feel like a cool little ride, head up to Black's Point. Check it out on the topos, ride up Murray Creek track, easy gradient well built DOC track up to the saddle where it heads over to Waitahu River, but from there continue on up round the nice benched singletrack and through and around and over to the Ajax Mine and Battery, then take the sweet ass steep track straight back down into Blacks Point. A lot of fun, but a fair bit of climbing.

for our kirwans and waiuta day...
http://swtchbckr.blogspot.co.nz/2011/10 ... aiuta.html

and the day we did Denniston, then Blacks Point
http://swtchbckr.blogspot.co.nz/2011/10 ... n-and.html
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 12/Feb/14 7:45pm

Cheers for the info Switchy. What I'm really after is how long you think it's gonna take us from Reefton and back and if it's any good in the wet. Like I said, we're all 4-4.5 hr molesworth muster riders and don't mind climbing at all if that helps. Just trying to plan our day. Cheers man :)
DogsBollocks

Postby tanadog on Wed 12/Feb/14 10:08pm

What I'm really after is how long you think it's gonna take us from Reefton and back and if it's any good in the wet.

Yes, 5-6 hrs (from Reefton - it's 15kms to big River from end of gravel) should be sweet with a bit of time to explore once you get to Big River. The 4WD track in there is pretty hard base, so not muddy at all , so good after rain. It's the Coast, so rain can mean a different thing there .... but as West Coast rides go I'd say it's ok in the wet. Hard base, sheltered in the trees and hut to chill out in before heading for home.
tanadog

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 12/Feb/14 10:30pm

tanadog wrote:
What I'm really after is how long you think it's gonna take us from Reefton and back and if it's any good in the wet.

Yes, 5-6 hrs (from Reefton - it's 15kms to big River from end of gravel) should be sweet with a bit of time to explore once you get to Big River. The 4WD track in there is pretty hard base, so not muddy at all , so good after rain. It's the Coast, so rain can mean a different thing there .... but as West Coast rides go I'd say it's ok in the wet. Hard base, sheltered in the trees and hut to chill out in before heading for home.

Thanks for that. Will help plan the day big time. Cheers :)
DogsBollocks

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 25/Feb/14 7:20pm

Hi,

One last one. We're going this weekend. We gonna try and fit in Waiuta so leaving out the gravel road (9k ?) on the way up will help that. Is there a definite stop/go to the gravel road/big river track that we can leave a car at ?

Cheers,
DogsBollocks

Postby tanadog on Wed 26/Feb/14 11:34am

One last one. We're going this weekend. We gonna try and fit in Waiuta so leaving out the gravel road (9k ?) on the way up will help that. Is there a definite stop/go to the gravel road/big river track that we can leave a car at ?

Are you going to go through Big River & then do Waiuta? or just Waiuta in & out?

If the former and you only have one car, then just leave you vehicle in Reefton and ride the loop from there. If you have 2 cars & doing a shuttle, yes you could park up at the top of the hill where gravel ends / 4WD starts, though it's a nice ride up the road.... about 1 hour easy going from Reefton to road end.

BTW, the descent down the gravel road from Waiuta out to where the tar seal starts is as good as it gets - was one of my brevet highlights...
tanadog

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 26/Feb/14 1:45pm

Through Big River then Waiuta. Were thinking of leaving a car at Reefton and one at the start of Big River and doing the loop from there, to car at Reefton and then 1 picks up other car while we pay the man at an appropriate boozer. Just an option if we get into Reefton a bit late.
DogsBollocks

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts