Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby Rattus on Tue 28/Jan/14 9:11pm

Hi Vorbers,

We came to NZ from Tasmania 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much we are coming back in Late Feb this year. Last time we rode Wellington, Taupo (Craters and Hukka Falls ride), Bridge to No-where (Favorite), 42 Traverse and Rotorua. Also enjoyed walking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and the Waitomo Caving.

This time our stay is shorter and focused on MTB rides, we will start by spending a few days at Rotorua (Tues 25th - Sun 2nd FEB) and need to work our way up (by hire car) to Auckland for a meeting on Friday 7th of March. Thus we don't want to drive too far South from Rotorua.

Other rides we are considering are Moerangi Track, Te Iringa (would try to do it return in one day), W2K..............so we would probably spend a night or two in Taupo before driving North. Do all these sound like a good choice?

Then which way would you suggest we head back towards Auckland to take in the best riding? We would have two more days riding before having to drive towards Auckland to make it there early Friday afternoon.
Rattus
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby jimmi on Wed 29/Jan/14 7:03am

Rattus wrote:Hi Vorbers,

We came to NZ from Tasmania 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much we are coming back in Late Feb this year. Last time we rode Wellington, Taupo (Craters and Hukka Falls ride), Bridge to No-where (Favorite), 42 Traverse and Rotorua. Also enjoyed walking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and the Waitomo Caving.

This time our stay is shorter and focused on MTB rides, we will start by spending a few days at Rotorua (Tues 25th - Sun 2nd FEB) and need to work our way up (by hire car) to Auckland for a meeting on Friday 7th of March. Thus we don't want to drive too far South from Rotorua.

Other rides we are considering are Moerangi Track, Te Iringa (would try to do it return in one day), W2K..............so we would probably spend a night or two in Taupo before driving North. Do all these sound like a good choice?

Then which way would you suggest we head back towards Auckland to take in the best riding? We would have two more days riding before having to drive towards Auckland to make it there early Friday afternoon.


Hey
If one of your favourites was Bridge to nowhere then Im assuming you enjoy your adventure rides. Here's some ideas and info:

Moerangi - awesome bush and single track. I recommend doing it from Okahu Rd to Minginui, although the long DH section from (Mt) Moerangi is getting a bit rutted, so be careful!

W2K - highly recommended - DO THIS TRAIL! It can be done in sections, but if you want the full Monty (70ishkm loop) try Whakaipo - Kinloch - Whangamata Rd - Kawakawa - Kinloch - Whakaipo. Awesome.

Te Iringa - cant comment, havent done it yet!

PUREORA TIMBER TRAIL - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! This is an outstanding track and well worth doing. Less than 1 hour from Taupo. You will need to arrange a shuttle or do a 160km epic loop. Finish at Ongarue.

WAIKATO RIVER TRAIL - While not 100% single track, it is a fantastic ride from Atiamuri to just beyond Arapuni. Awesome NZ scenery beside the Waikato river and lots of variety. Carry lots of water and make sure you fill up at Whakamaru, Mangakino and Jim Bartlett (?) reserve.

MOTU / PAKIHI Track loop - this is a bit out of the way in Opotiki, but is a great 90km loop that finishes with an outstanding 20km DH section.

So, thinking about it while I write. If you like long adventure rides and have 2 days to fill between Taupo riding and Auckland, I would (very) highly recommend Pureora and Waikato. you wont be dissapointed!

Have a blast!
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby jimmi on Wed 29/Jan/14 7:12am

A couple of other options would be
* Karangahake Gorge from Paeroa to Waihi and back
* Coromandel Coastal loop - Colville, Port Jackson, Kennedy Bay and back over the hill (not much single track, but a great ride)
* Hunua Ranges - Just out of Auckland, great MTB tracks and about 40ishkm if you ride them all.

I still think the Pureora / Waikato combo would be the best option though.....
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby dyl on Wed 29/Jan/14 8:52am

Be careful on the road sections...NZ drivers are loco
dyl
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby phunk on Wed 29/Jan/14 8:55am

If you do Te iringa in a day (we did an overnighter with helicopter bringing in our gear) then I would reccomend turning around after doing the fantastic flowy DH bit, nothing wrong with the track after that but it is basically flatish to the hut.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby Colin on Wed 29/Jan/14 9:12am

phunk wrote:If you do Te iringa in a day (we did an overnighter with helicopter bringing in our gear) then I would reccomend turning around after doing the fantastic flowy DH bit, nothing wrong with the track after that but it is basically flatish to the hut.

These are the people with the concession to fly to the Oamaru Hut at the end of Te Iringa http://www.helisikahelicopters.co.nz/

Cost us $400 to fly the gear for 8 people in and back out the next day. Meant we could eat proper food and drink beer. We had enough weight allowance not used that we could have flown in someone to serve the beers and cook the meal. The hut only cost $5 per person per night - so that makes the helicopter $ more reasonable.

I haven't ridden, but hear good things about Wires Road wires-track-paeroa-t71035-15.html
http://aucklandmtb.co.nz/2012/03/21/awa ... ires-road/
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby Naut on Wed 5/Feb/14 8:53am

If you haven't done it already, try the Rainbow Mountain loop while in Rotorua - short and sweet with hot pools to recover/wash an added bonus at the end!
Naut
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby nagem on Wed 5/Feb/14 6:50pm

Pureora Timber Trail is awesome. You could start at Piropiro Flats and ride down to the Ongarue Spiral and back in a day. It would take you along the part of the trail with the majority of the swing bridges and is a really interesting ride. Loads of information about the logging history. The Pureora to Piropiro section of the trail is more 'trail' like and a really awesome ride but if you weren't keen to shuttle then I'd recommend you do the end section.
nagem
User avatar
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby Rattus on Sat 8/Feb/14 10:12pm

Thanks so much for your suggestions, it's made us decide there's enough to do in the Rotorua/Taupo area without going further afield.

Definites on the itinery now are: Redwoods (including shuttles), Rainbow mt, Moerangi, Great Lake tracks, Timber Trail. Still got a day or 2 to fill in, so am about to do some research on Waikato river trails etc.

We want to do W2K and some more of the Great Lakes tracks, but are not sure of the options when riding sections. I've noticed there are shuttle services, and we'll have our own car too. The above suggested 70km loop of Whakaipo - Kinloch - Whangamata Rd - Kawakawa - Kinloch - Whakaipo sounds easiest as far as transport goes, but would like to have an option 2 ready in case we're not feeling up to a 70km ride on that day.

I read somewhere it's best done from West to East, so would parking at whangamata rd car park, Oraku and riding to whakaipo bay and getting a shuttle to take us back to our car be the best option?

Also looking at doing some white water rafting out of Taupo. We are beginners, but are keen to have a 'proper go' and get a bit scared. There looks to be heaps of different companies offering different options, anyone got any advice?
Rattus
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby scatter on Sun 9/Feb/14 8:58am

Regarding rafting, the Rangataiki is good fun. It's a grade 3/4 trip so okay for beginners but with some hairy stuff to keep the adrenaline pumping.
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby jimmi on Sun 9/Feb/14 11:55am

scatter wrote:Regarding rafting, the Rangataiki is good fun. It's a grade 3/4 trip so okay for beginners but with some hairy stuff to keep the adrenaline pumping.


I agree. I think most other rafting trips are a bit longer with more flat water. The Rangataiki is a good ol fashion 2-3 hour buzz.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Mon 10/Feb/14 11:49am

If you have a day to spare, while your in the Taupo/Rotorua region looking for somewhere else to ride, then you are very welcome to pop over the hill to Hawkes Bay (90 minutes drive east from Taupo to Eskdale).

Pan Pac Eskdale MTB Park, is just 10 minutes drive north of Napier (near the Taupo / SH5 turnoff), where we currently have 100km of MTB trails (with more being built all the time), plus over 40km of forestry roads, spread over 1300+ ha of pine forest - permit is required for access, either purchase off our website, or call into the Bayview 4 Square (2 minutes drive south of Eskdale). We have trails that suit all abilities, from beginners to experts, and both XC and DH.

With the Great Lake Trail, over xmas I rode the 2 sections from the western end (Waihaha) all the way in to as far as they had currently built to & back out again (23km each way).
Also parked at Kinlock & rode Kawakawa bay & up to Whangamata Rd & then returned the same way back to Kinloch = just under 40km ride.

With the Timber trail, the way I did it on my own, without any shuttling, was drove to Pureroa early morning, rode the 1st stage to the highest point & returned back to the car. Then drove into Piropiro camp & rode back along the track up to the highest point I was at earlier in the day, then back down to piropiro camp for the night. Next day rode the remainder of the track to the bottom of the hill past the ongarue spiral (about 5 or so kms short of the end, which is just flat following the river), then returned back the same way to the campsite - ie: allow 2 full days to do it this way, effectively riding the track twice.
We have also ridden this one way in a single day using shuttles, where we rode the entire 85km track in 6 hours, including stops to regroup & take in the scenery (there was about 24 of us)

Defiantly spoilt for choice in the central North Island

Carl
http://www.hawkesbaymtb.co.nz
Hawkesbaymtb
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Advice On Nz North Island Riding Itinery????

Postby ryda on Wed 12/Feb/14 3:42pm

Rattus wrote:
We want to do W2K and some more of the Great Lakes tracks, but are not sure of the options when riding sections. I've noticed there are shuttle services, and we'll have our own car too. The above suggested 70km loop of Whakaipo - Kinloch - Whangamata Rd - Kawakawa - Kinloch - Whakaipo sounds easiest as far as transport goes, but would like to have an option 2 ready in case we're not feeling up to a 70km ride on that day.

option 2:- park at Kinloch ride towards Whakaipo, do the headlands loop clockwise then back down to Kinlock, then head north and do the Kawakawa end, either as a there and back or use the road as a loop
the other option is there is now 2 trails around at Waihaha (y-ha-ha) which is on the western side of the lake I think there is a about 17km of the great lake trail open (it will be a there and back) and on the other side of the road there is the Waihaha hut ride semi techy, a bit of hike a bike (more so on the way in) but cool fun
ryda
User avatar
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

55 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 52 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles