Talas About It

Postby gumby on Tue 5/Nov/13 10:11pm

Does anybody have TALAS experience and an opinion on going from 120mm 32 float to 34 110mm-140mm TALAS and straight-tapered adapter headtube seat strength considerations? Any thoughts appreciated.
gumby
Member for: 4 years 4 months

Re: Talas About It

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 5/Nov/13 10:15pm

Can't help with the TALAS question, nver owned a TALAS fork

which head tube size are you talking about exactly? (I'm guessing a ZS44 headtube that you are thinking about putting a tapered adapter set in to?)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby gumby on Tue 5/Nov/13 10:17pm

Yeh currently internal 44.
gumby

Postby danose on Wed 6/Nov/13 6:22am

can't comment about the tapered steerer ( few of my bikes are zs44 but all are running old school straight steerers still), but having had a few talas forks (original 32 talas 125, couple of sets of talas 36s) I'd say total waste of time, never used the adjustment on the fly (lowering the fork for climbs is for muppets who lack the skills to ride up steep stuff), and the talas system is complex to maintain.

Stick with the float - it just works (or when the talas craps out, convert the fork to a float)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 6/Nov/13 6:54am

With regards to external 44mm headsets, most of them have a deeper insertion for the lower cup, to try and deal with any extra load caused by the fork becoming slightly longer. I know that the FSA version (called the ITA) ihas a super deep lower cup if you are concerned, or you have a frame with a less than nicce headset fit, but you do need to be careful to ensure that your frame has been reemed far enough to allow the useof a deep cup headset

I would also ensure that the fork I was fitting to a frame was a appropriate fit for the frame style and design, ie I wouldn't be to keen to fit a 140mm fork to a lightweight XC race frame
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Wed 6/Nov/13 7:10am

Is this the new "can I put 888 on a hardtail"?
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Wed 6/Nov/13 9:43am

No experience with the converter headsets yet, but I agree with Danose. I had a Talas for a number of years, and while I did use the function on the fly (mainly flicking from 130 out to 160 for steep downhills and then back to 130 for everywhere else) I found the forks needed a lot of maintenance to feel even half decent. Lots of stiction etc. I changed from a 36 Talas to a set of Marzocchi 55's and it is like night and day. The Marz just work that much better (plush, no stiction and better damping) and I do not miss the travel adjust at all!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 6/Nov/13 10:23am

Don't forget to add the extra stack height of the external lower cup to the total a2c, now your 140mm forks will have a ride height closer to a 150mm fork
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 6/Nov/13 11:01am

I have TALAS 36s on my hardtail, and the ability to wind them down for climbing makes a significant difference. (old 3mm per-click TALAS) But it can't be adjusted while riding - you have to weight the front end between clicks to get it to drop.
The mechanism is a bit fiddly, and if it goes wrong it really goes wrong.

Lyrik Coil U-Turn on the fully, much more robust system, still not easy to adjust while riding - but pretty easy to drop while on the bike, no chance of raising while riding but.

danose wrote:lowering the fork for climbs is for muppets who lack the skills to ride up steep stuff

Thanks Danose.

Went from 32mm stanchion 20mm thru-axle straight steerer to 36s on the HT and noticed the stiffness increase for sure.

Fully went from straight steerer Lyrik to tapered, but at the same time as a frame change, so harder to quantify, but the tapered steerer makes sense to me for strength on long-travel single crowns.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby gumby on Wed 6/Nov/13 9:46pm

Thanks for the responses, I've been looking at the 2014 Talas which users are reporting to be much better than the 2013 and as good as the FIT. The frame is a Sensor 9r with original Fox shocks and since adding stiffer rims the fork flex has become more noticeable.
I'm concerned about upsetting it's good manners by jacking the front up 30mm hence talas. The bottom bearing seat would be 8mm deep at best and may require some effort to get a satisfactory 1.5 seat so I may be better off looking for an older straight steerer fork, any recommendations over the F29 RL?
gumby

Postby el_booto on Wed 6/Nov/13 10:08pm

You could just get a 34 float and shorten it, its a ten minute job rather than arse around with a talas, you'll just have to get some spacers with with the fork

And a cane creek forty series EC44/40 lower headset will do what you require, the cup depth isn't much more than a standard cup
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby gumby on Sun 5/Jan/14 6:30pm

head tubes break
Last edited by gumby on Fri 17/Jan/14 1:46am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 5/Jan/14 11:36pm

Wowsers, didn't consider any of the other travel-adjustable things on the market? Keen to see how it works out.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Jan/14 7:27am

gumby wrote:A custom adaption is gonna jack it 20mm, I can get 10 back with the Talas. I'm looking at shrinking a custom cup on there, wish me luck :p

that's not an internal 44 headset.... that's an integrated headset. that ain't gonna work
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 6/Jan/14 7:37am

Great pun :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts