Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby Scotty on Tue 29/Oct/13 9:38pm

Bit clueless here, so bear with me. :blush:

So Microsoft winds up its support for xp next April and I don't have the moolah to go splashing around on win 7. Plus some of the old dual-cores seem to be working just fine at the moment but I dunno how they'll go without a serious ram upgrade.

I've been playing with Ubuntu 13.04 and it seems okay, but is there another linux distro that's more like the windows interface?

I also use WMP11 to stream between computers, what's the linux alternative?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby chuckie34 on Tue 29/Oct/13 9:41pm

Just because xp wont be supported doesnt mean you cant use it.

Linux mint is nice too.
chuckie34
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 29/Oct/13 9:43pm

no you're right, but given they're on the interwebs a bit I like running something secure-ish.
Scotty

Postby foremannz on Tue 29/Oct/13 9:48pm

I'm a fan of Linux Mint with the Mate desktop - light, and familiar
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby properzel on Tue 29/Oct/13 9:51pm

You will get used to the look, ubuntu and mint are both similar and good.
VLC is a program that streams and opens about anything for me on ubuntu.

In saying that, I got my new mac book today and loving it.. so OSX is an option as well
properzel
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 29/Oct/13 10:29pm

Scotty wrote:Bit clueless here, so bear with me. :blush:

So Microsoft winds up its support for xp next April and I don't have the moolah to go splashing around on win 7. Plus some of the old dual-cores seem to be working just fine at the moment but I dunno how they'll go without a serious ram upgrade.

I've been playing with Ubuntu 13.04 and it seems okay, but is there another linux distro that's more like the windows interface?

I also use WMP11 to stream between computers, what's the linux alternative?

VLC is very popular for both Linux and Windows.

Microsoft has a long history of deception and lies about this sort of stuff. They, and particularly OEMs, claim that older OSs will be / are unpurchaseable long before that is true.
Later they they claim the old OS is "unsupported", but that may just refer to paid support contracts which when normal people and most businesses never use anyway.

XP is still widely used by big business customers, and MS loves business people because they tend to pay for software and to use MS Office, which they also pay for.
MS doesn't want a breeding ground for Windows-specific viruses so it sometimes quietly creates and pushes out fixes for particularly severe security problems in old "unsupported" OSs.

Ascent.co.nz has OEM Windows 8.1 32 bit (and 64 bit) for $164 incl GST.

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit is $158 but in my experience the annoyances of the latest version fade with time or are fixed, while the advantages slowly become apparent.
Compatibility with new hardware often is the killer for the old versions.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Wed 30/Oct/13 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby danose on Tue 29/Oct/13 11:26pm

True alternative to windows - there's only one I'm afraid and it's osx ( on the basis of 'can run office and adobe cc'). Os is (now) free but of course it comes with the ultimate in dongles

As for older hardware - I shoved 8.1 on an old core2duo e6750 at work - 2gb ram , supposedly underspec, it actually runs better with 8.x than with win7 (admittedly having a 64gb ssd in it helps a lot, so much of windows slowness is io limits not cpu)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 30/Oct/13 6:40am

I've gotta concede I'm only interested in Linux-based stuff after playing with it over the past couple of weeks. First time I used it, it was a nightmare with having to screw around with different install files and trying to find the right drivers plus half my favourite programmes wouldn't work on it.

Then I had a go with 13.04, it was quick as and seems to have the support to run most (not quite all) of my day-to-day stuff.

Like you say, if they could get a decent office option on it, I think I'd be sold on it.
Scotty

Postby RJD on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:17am

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Later they they claim the old OS is "unsupported", but that may just refer to paid support contracts which when normal people and most businesses never use anyway.

There will be no security updates for XP once it is not supported. Its 12 years old how long do you expect microsoft to bother supporting it for?

If your organization is still running XP on your desktops you are in trouble, you have had plenty of warning. Though plenty of people are , though most are moving to windows 7 which is outselling windows 8 at the moment!
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby danose on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:38am

RJD wrote:Though plenty of people are , though most are moving to windows 7 which is outselling windows 8 at the moment!

there's a good reason for that - I've got a test box with win8 enterprise on it, and I just can't see it working within a typical corporate environment, metro is a pointless waste of space for us, no-one's got touchscreens (and the thought of 8 hours a day with my arm in the air fills me with horror) and the absence of a 'proper' start menu is just annoying (and will confuse the hell out of users - hell most of them had a hard enough time going from xp to 7)

only positive is it's easier on resources than win7e (presumably cos they had to do some decent optimisation to make it work on relatively small/slow tablets like the surfacePro)

if M$ pushes ahead with their (insane) proposal to drop non-metro app support in win9 - well I guess we'll be going from 50/50 mac/windows to 100% mac (hey, I could live with having to use a new macpro - even if it does look like a rubbish bin :D )
danose

Postby RJD on Wed 30/Oct/13 9:50am

I've had win8 on my desktop at home for ages. I dont have or use touch.

As a desktop OS its not bad , but the full screen start menu and all the default metro app crap is annoying.

As a desktop OS its ok, as a touch OS its ok, as both it sucks.

Theres a few benefits for corporates but not heaps so I'm not surprised either.

Looking forward to 8.1 sometime soon which fixes a few issues. I would be shocked if win9 killed the classic desktop that would be suicide.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Wed 30/Oct/13 10:10am

properzel wrote:In saying that, I got my new mac book today and loving it.. so OSX is an option as well

This is Scotty you're talking to here :lol:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 30/Oct/13 10:34am

Scotty wrote:Then I had a go with 13.04, it was quick as and seems to have the support to run most (not quite all) of my day-to-day stuff.

Like you say, if they could get a decent office option on it, I think I'd be sold on it.

There are some office thingies for Linux, I like Libre myself.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby danose on Wed 30/Oct/13 11:19am

RJD wrote:Looking forward to 8.1 sometime soon which fixes a few issues. I would be shocked if win9 killed the classic desktop that would be suicide.

already installed 8.1 here (the joy of it being on a sacrificial machine - nothing to lose), it's ok but not a great improvement. The new 'start menu' is better than nothing (clicking it still just takes you back to the metro start screen, but right clicking gives you access to things like control panel that were a pain to navigate to in the desktop environment before) but no substitute for star dock's 'start8' (which I've used and highly recommend)

I'm hoping m$ will go back to separate 'enterprise' and 'home' OSs for win9 - since obviously in corporate-world we're going to need to run normal apps for the forseeable future. Would make sense (a return to how things were back in the late 90s with nt4/win2k for corporate and win98/winME for home). There's so much stuff in win7e/win8e that really isn't wanted or needed in a corporate setup
danose

Postby Scotty on Wed 30/Oct/13 11:45am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Scotty wrote:Then I had a go with 13.04, it was quick as and seems to have the support to run most (not quite all) of my day-to-day stuff.

There are some office thingies for Linux, I like Libre myself.

I found Libre's spreadsheets are a bit clunky when it comes to macros and similar stuff. Thought it's not unique is that aspect. It may also be a familiarity thing and something I can get my head around it with time.

The free video editors out there are pretty cool though. :)
Scotty

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts