Port Hills Bike Park

Postby Trail on Wed 25/Sep/13 10:19am

swtchbckr wrote:did anybody notice this?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/h ... -bike-park

Yes.

Please note in all the discussions I have heard Select Contracts are fine about people pedalling to the top and riding down. You would just be paying to use the chairlift, zip lines etc... Just like anywhere else that has lift accessed trails. They charge for chair and not for the trails.

Also I have seen the plans for the trails. Of course they have plans for a Hammys style track, but they also have a full range of everything in-between planned, along with plans for a full time trail crew who will be looking after the trails.
10627061.jpg
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: The Stuff.co.nz Thread

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 25/Sep/13 10:59am

Trail wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:did anybody notice this?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/h ... -bike-park

Yes.

Please note in all the discussions I have heard Select Contracts are fine about people pedalling to the top and riding down. You would just be paying to use the chairlift, zip lines etc... Just like anywhere else that has lift accessed trails. They charge for chair and not for the trails.

Also I have seen the plans for the trails. Of course they have plans for a Hammys style track, but they also have a full range of everything in-between planned, along with plans for a full time trail crew who will be looking after the trails.

O for Oarsome then! i take it you seen my comment then? and they wont be fencing it all off... great!

hmmmm... i wonder if my dog will still be welcome. he loves the Worsley McVicars tracks with me :)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Port Hills Bike Park

Postby Rik on Wed 25/Sep/13 12:10pm

Don't get me wrong this is fantastic news, and I am awesomely appreciative of all the volunteer efforts to get this place where it is now, to even make the proposal possible.

But are people really anti- paying subs if it means they get a full time track team/person plus all the other benefits it might bring?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Wed 25/Sep/13 12:28pm

swtchbckr wrote:O for Oarsome then! i take it you seen my comment then?

Yup, but I could not be bothered to post on the Stuff site.

Rik, I think people are worried about losing the little home-built (illegal) trail network that is currently there and that they fear they will be shut out of that area completely unless they pay. From all I have heard walkers/bikers etc will be fine to access the park any way they want... and they will not have to pay to access the park. Whistler is the same. If you bike up the hill yourself you can access the trails.

This being the case people will actually legally be allowed on properly built trails in McVicars instead of all the illegal access and illegal trail building that is going on at the moment.
Trail

Postby danose on Wed 25/Sep/13 12:35pm

swtchbckr wrote:O for Oarsome then! i take it you seen my comment then? and they wont be fencing it all off... great!

hopefully also means continued access to the nice little crag tucked away in the forest :thumbsup:

hmmmm... i wonder if my dog will still be welcome. he loves the Worsley McVicars tracks with me :)

has he met any of the goats and wild pigs that roam in there yet? we hit a herd of about 10 goats one evening (showing us how to really climb)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Wed 25/Sep/13 12:49pm

Oh, and I have heard them talking about adding in a single track climbing line that people could use to bike to the top of the hill as part of the park. This was not drawn on the initial trail plan I saw, but is something they would like put in once they are up and running.

If they do this it will be one of the few singletrack climbs you can use to get to the top of the Port Hills. I have been trying to get permission to put in a piece of singletrack that would provide a singletrack climb from town instead of having to use access roads. I first tried to get this put in about 6 years ago and am part of a group that have tried again for the last year (and have 20K of funding, 6 experienced trail builders and the support of the community board) and yet we are on hold again :hmmm:
Trail

Postby madpete on Wed 25/Sep/13 1:47pm

I hope it all goes a head as it will bring MTB tourists to CHCH as a MTB destination rather than a stepping stone to Queenstown. Having seen the quality of the Queenstown Gondola tracks and the pay to ride Woodhill forest, paying to ride on well maintained tracks will be awesome for CHCH. i'm happy to pay to ride some well made DH tracks...saves on trying to bribe the wife to shuttle me :)
madpete
"Whatever Fool!"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 25/Sep/13 1:53pm

danose wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:hmmmm... i wonder if my dog will still be welcome. he loves the Worsley McVicars tracks with me :)

has he met any of the goats and wild pigs that roam in there yet? we hit a herd of about 10 goats one evening (showing us how to really climb)

sure has sniffed about for them, but not met any yet. I've seen goats in there, but not much pig sign.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby gumby on Wed 25/Sep/13 3:00pm

www.selectevolution.com have pulled their hokey website. Where are they proposing to put the gondola?
gumby
Member for: 4 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Wed 25/Sep/13 3:12pm

It did not specifically say on their website anyway, but I think it is planned for about up the middle of the current McVicars forest. Chairs would be lower than the tree height and so the chairlift would not be prominent feature when looking at the hillside. I think the plan was to head for the high point (Marleys Hill?) where the old Nunnery was. Mountain bike tracks and Zip lines (about half a dozen separate zips and a network of trails) were planned coming down from this point to a base station in the valley below Dyer Pass road.
Trail

Postby scatter on Wed 25/Sep/13 3:42pm

Why has the site been pulled :ib:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 25/Sep/13 4:21pm

I've always thought fire risk would be an issue in that forest... just needs a long hot summer, a good series of nor'west days and some grom barrelling down a hill on his 8inch DH bike sparking some rocks together into the tinder dry pine needles to get a good fire going... reckon they'd close due to the risk in the summer?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Wobbler on Wed 25/Sep/13 4:24pm

nope
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby danose on Wed 25/Sep/13 4:34pm

swtchbckr wrote:I've always thought fire risk would be an issue in that forest... just needs a long hot summer, a good series of nor'west days and some grom barrelling down a hill on his 8inch DH bike sparking some rocks together into the tinder dry pine needles to get a good fire going... reckon they'd close due to the risk in the summer?

no different to vic park though - and so far as I know there's never been any incidences of DHers causing fires in there.

Now boy racers torching grass slopes along the summit rd - that's a real risk
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 25/Sep/13 4:48pm

danose wrote:Now boy racers torching grass slopes along the summit rd - that's a real risk

true dat.

little fuckers should be shot on sight
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions - Latest Posts