Need Recomendations On A Good Value Work Stand

Postby foremannz on Fri 6/Sep/13 4:44pm

I'm going to be building a few bikes from scratch soon (1 at a time), so I'm looking for a work stand that grips the top tube/down tube and can rotate. I had a look at a few and there is alot around the $400-$500 mark, but I don't have any experience with them as I've just built bikes on the garage floor in the past.

Whats some good ones to consider?
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Need Recomendations On A Good Value Work Stand

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 6/Sep/13 4:53pm

Feedback sport if you want something transportable.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Fri 6/Sep/13 5:27pm

I got a Park Tools PCS 9 from my LBS for $180 which does those things (prolly $165 from CRC) is great and would give money for more tools or beer.

Buy cable cutters I've got all kinds of pliers and wire cutters but none are right and I've ruined a cable trying!
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Gax on Fri 6/Sep/13 7:02pm

shmoodiver wrote:Feedback sport if you want something transportable.

:withstupid:

I've had mine for 5 years and it's been a god send. Brilliant stands
Gax
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby SamKnight on Sat 7/Sep/13 10:44pm

I got one of the T7 cheapies, i think it was $80, works pretty well - came with a parts tray off the side of it too

The only thing i'd like to be able to do is bolt it to the floor but for the price its pretty mint
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Jono on Sat 7/Sep/13 10:51pm

I've had a feedback stand since about '95. It's still going strong. I would definitely recommend them
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 9/Sep/13 9:31pm

shmoodiver wrote:Feedback sport if you want something transportable.

:withstupid:

This. Oli and musket recommended me the same and its really good.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby foremannz on Mon 9/Sep/13 9:54pm

I thought the frame holding stands would be inadequate for 29ers until I saw the Feedback Sports Sprint - going by the brand, it looks like it will be a good quality stand, and since it also does 20mm axles, it looks like its very versatile too. So far it looks to be the one I will buy.

foremannz

Postby OneTrackMind on Tue 10/Sep/13 8:10am

Often on another forum I frequent, it comes down to Park vs Feedback Sports, with Feedback generally winning. I've had the old Ultimate (which is now the 'Classic' I think) and have just switched to an Ultimate Pro or whatever the top one is. Park do make such a wide range of stands, some of which are really good ... some of which are pretty average. If going Park, then you really need to check reviews for that specific model of stand.

Feedback makes really nice stands. The Classic had a wider base than the new one, which I miss a little. The Ultimate Pro has a better clamp though, with one button operation to open the jaws right up. A friend has the Sport, which he's very happy with too. They sell spare parts direct if you ever need any too.

Price was about $NZ250 ($US190) at current exchange rate (+ shipping to nz. I bought mine in the US, where I will be using it, so shipping was free). A few places have a package deal where you get the padded bag with it for free, which is what I got. There is a work tray option too, and I have had one previously which I liked. I'll probably grab another at some point.

I've used the cheap torpedo stands, and really found them to be frustrating. Unstable and a laborious clamping mechanism.
OneTrackMind
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 10/Sep/13 6:31pm

I hang the seats of my bikes off my pull up bar. Works a treat :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby musket on Tue 10/Sep/13 8:55pm

I've been using one of these for nearly a year. Good stand. Buy it.

foremannz wrote:I thought the frame holding stands would be inadequate for 29ers until I saw the Feedback Sports Sprint - going by the brand, it looks like it will be a good quality stand, and since it also does 20mm axles, it looks like its very versatile too. So far it looks to be the one I will buy.
musket
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 10/Sep/13 9:11pm

foremannz wrote:I thought the frame holding stands would be inadequate for 29ers until I saw the Feedback Sports Sprint - going by the brand, it looks like it will be a good quality stand, and since it also does 20mm axles, it looks like its very versatile too. So far it looks to be the one I will buy.

Just remeber that the 20mm adapter is a seperate part that you need to buy, its not included with the stand. I've only had a quick demo with the sprint stand, but it seems very stable, and like the other feedback stands is simple to use, and well made

yes I do work for the NZ agent :blush:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby foremannz on Tue 10/Sep/13 9:53pm

Hook me up!
foremannz

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 11/Sep/13 6:47am

I'm afraid that I can't sell direct

I'd either talk to your LBS or check out Burkes Cycles http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/prod/fb16690-ds.html
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts