Morrison Concord

Postby MattV on Sat 10/Aug/13 9:53am

A colleague of mine picked this up the other day for $80 and was asking if I could find out any information about it, specifically the year it was manufactured etc.

I'm guessing circa 1985. Obviously it was built in Hastings, but I couldnt find a serial number or anything to ID what batch it would have come from

It's actually in pretty good nick and seems to have all the original componentry. It just needs a bit of a polish and cables adjusted etc.

Any information would be great :)
1000599_10151894166766833_1194392953_n.jpg
1148972_10151894167461833_363830710_n.jpg
563923_10151894167661833_745189630_n.jpg
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Morrison Concord

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 10/Aug/13 12:25pm

Check the left hand rear dropout for a serial number. That's where the Morrison Monark serial is. If not, try under the BB.

Japanese bicycle component two-letter date codes mainly have their first letter based on George Orwell's book 1984
Shimano: i (eye) = 1984
Suntour 1984=Z, A=1985 (Sugino is often the same)
The second letter is the month.

These have tough paint. I received a black one and attacked it with steel wool to reveal the original paint and decals all in pretty nice condition.

Note the "1024" sticker on the fork. That is a relatively high carbon steel also used on the Monark, a cut above the standard gaspipe.

Being made with brazed lugs instead of welded joints also makes it lighter since thinner tubing can be used.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 10/Aug/13 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Sat 10/Aug/13 12:42pm

The seatpost isn't original.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 10/Aug/13 1:25pm

:D
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 10/Aug/13 2:59pm

The cockstabber shifters and everything else looks original though.

The front inner ring is in v good nick but the chain should be checked by a bike shop in case it is stretched :satan: enough to be wearing out the sprockets.

I'd be inclined to
Add toeclips to the pedals,
Upgrade to an aluminium handlebar (cheap and easy on TM) before taping the bars.

Make a saved search for "27" in Trademe - wheels and try to pick up a 27" aluminium front rim, which will hopefully will come with a hollow quickrelease axle.
Silver 700C alu wheels from later in the eighties are easy to find though many are only 19-20mm wide. There are still plenty of good straight ones around.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 10/Aug/13 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby MattV on Sat 10/Aug/13 3:35pm

Oli wrote:The seatpost isn't original.

I was waiting for someone to notice that. :D

He still has the original one.
MattV

Postby MattV on Sat 10/Aug/13 3:46pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Check the left hand rear dropout for a serial number. That's where the Morrison Monark serial is. If not, try under the BB.

Japanese bicycle component two-letter date codes mainly have their first letter based on George Orwell's book 1984
Shimano: i (eye) = 1984
Suntour 1984=Z, A=1985 (Sugino is often the same)
The second letter is the month.

These have tough paint. I received a black one and attacked it with steel wool to reveal the original paint and decals all in pretty nice condition.

Note the "1024" sticker on the fork. That is a relatively high carbon steel also used on the Monark, a cut above the standard gaspipe.

Being made with brazed lugs instead of welded joints also makes it lighter since thinner tubing can be used.

Thanks heaps for the info :thumbsup:

I'll pass this on to him on Monday. No serial on around the BB so i'll have a look around the dropouts.
MattV

Postby OFFcourse on Sun 11/Aug/13 6:18pm

I have a Morrison Monark but I couldn't find any info on what year it would be...

BB: H391350
Dropouts: Not too clear but it looks like ZP0 XXXXXX (X's being numbers)

Any idea on year/month with that info?

Edit: Some Morrison related reading http://hadland.wordpress.com/2012/07/01 ... the-1980s/
OFFcourse
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts