Escaping Auckland Via The Hunua Traverse

Postby jimmi on Fri 19/Jul/13 7:43pm

So this route has been bugging me for ages.....is it possible to do a North to South traverse of the Hunua ranges? The epic Kennetts book "Cycle trails of NZ" lists two options out of Auckland: Ferry to Coromandel and ride down to Thames, or the popular Clevedon, Kawakawa, Kaiaua, Miranda route. I wanted to scope out another possible route for Fat Tyre tourers....

I parked just out of Clevedon, headed up Ness Valley Rd, then did a 400 - 500m climb up Moumoukai Hill Rd (great views!). I then traversed the ridgeline along Keeney Rd until dropping down to the Mangatawhiri Dam which has a campsite and toilets. From there you meander along the valley until grunting up another big hill and dropping to the second dam. You then pop out onto Workman Rd and its a nice downhill cruise to Kaiaua. I then had a great ride back along the Coast through Kawakawa Bay and back to the car.

So if you're touring and detest road riding, love deserted gravel roads, and dont mind huge hills then this is a great way to get from Clevedon to Kaiaua. The bush and views were great and the roads were in good nick. Riding around the coast is a little quicker, but if you want to get away from it all then this is a good option.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Escaping Auckland Via The Hunua Traverse

Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 20/Jul/13 11:25pm

:thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Dome on Sun 21/Jul/13 12:20pm

You are irrepressible Mr B! Always on the trail somewhere.
I'm forwarding this idea to my son in Auckland for us to do when I'm next up.
Cheers
Chris
Dome
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Dome on Sun 21/Jul/13 12:30pm

Oh I'm a cluck - Mr B you didn't do the ride - just responded favourably..
Chris
Dome
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby trancemaster on Mon 22/Jul/13 7:47am

yes its an overlooked gem that ride;

you can plot a mixed gravel/ tar 50k loop out of Hunua via Orum rd as well; or add on Challenge track or the valley singletrack.
go in on a sunday to make sure no logging trucks or rangers about
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts