2013 Bmx World Champs - Vector Arena, July

Postby dented on Fri 5/Jul/13 6:53pm

Huge event for BMX NZ, getting close now. Held over a week, its split in two with the first 4 days dedicated to the age-group (challenge) riders, and Cruisers, then the start ramp gets hoisted up another 3 metres, a few other changes to the track take place, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday is for the World Elite riders.
Entries have been received from current World Champion Sam Willoughby, 2-time Olympic Gold medallist Maris Strombergs (the machine), and many others.

Over 800 Kiwi's are entered having made the cut-off within their age group with their finish position at the 2012 and 2013 NZ National Championships.

Some of the latest information here:- http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=183 ... 1dec6d739b including a sneak peak at the Start ramp which is a result of some kiwi ingenuity and is a world first.

Tickets are selling fast, the atmosphere will be incredible.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: 2013 Bmx World Champs - Vector Arena, July

Postby wachtourak on Fri 5/Jul/13 6:59pm

Is there any live streaming on the interwebs?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dented on Fri 5/Jul/13 7:33pm

I know Sky TV will be showing all the elite stuff.

Not sure about internet, although I would be surprised if there wasnt something. www.bmxlive.tv had it last year, but I just took a quick look now and they dont appear to be covering it, maybe too far from home for them?
dented

Postby dented on Sat 6/Jul/13 12:18am

If you are wondering, "how will they put a world class BMX track inside the vector arena?" amd you have a spare 4.5 minutes, takes the time to check this video. Its the 2012 BMX world champs build, the same team that are contracted to build the Vector track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NDDKp0iBoM
dented

Postby dented on Sat 6/Jul/13 9:39am

http://www.endurancesport.co.nz/story.cfm?id=104417

Cool liitle piece from Endurance Sport, some insight from current World Champion Sam Willoughby
dented

Postby dented on Sat 6/Jul/13 9:21pm

Nice little piece on TV3 sport news tonight, triplets from North Harbour riding in the hotly contested '7 boys' class

http://www.3news.co.nz/Triplets-look-to ... fault.aspx
dented

Postby dented on Sun 7/Jul/13 6:51pm

....and some wicked overnight news outa stateside, copy/pasted. Tauranga boy Kurt Pickard hitting career-best form at the best possible time.

Kiwi BMX rider enjoys breakthrough victory in the USA

Kiwi Olympian Kurt Pickard enjoyed a breakthrough victory on the first day of the USA BMX Nationals series in Pittsburgh today.
The 22 year old from Tauranga scored his first Grand Finals win in the US against some of the major competition that he will face in this month’s UCI BMX World Championships in Auckland, including two-time Olympic champion Maris Strombergs.

Pickard was unbeaten in his qualifying motos and elimination rounds, winning the Grand Final ahead of world championship-bound Americans Corben Sharrah and David Herman, while Strombergs from Latvia, crashed while leading in his semifinal.
The win was a boost for the Tauranga rider, who crashed in the quarterfinals at the London Olympics and carried a niggling injury into his preparations in the USA.

“The win means relief, a monkey off my back and it feels good,” Pickard said. “Now I have some racing under my belt I am starting to feel more comfortable.

“Looking at the results it paints a picture than I am on target for the worlds. I’ve grown a lot and learned a lot since I have been over here and I think that’s more important than the result itself so I am looking forward to Auckland.”

BikeNZ BMX Coach Ryan Hollows said the result was a fillip for Pickard and the team.
“Kurt has been slowly improving, getting better and better and mentally stronger. Today was the day he finally broke through. He was untouchable and everyone trackside was picking him for favourite,” Hollows said.

“It was a stronger field than at Rockford two weeks ago with the world champion Sam Willoughby the only big name missing from the big hitters while Maris (Strombergs) has been an addition.”
“This is the ideal track for our last competition in the USA because it starts to progression the riders back on to bigger tracks. We have our last racing tomorrow before flying home later this week and then next week we head to Brisbane where we will do our final preparations on the Supercross track there.”

The team will take part in a public fun day at Sylvia Park net Saturday before flying to Brisbane, arriving back in time for the UCI BMX World Championships which run from July 24-28 at Vector Arena.
pickard holeshot chq.jpg
dented

Postby dented on Sat 13/Jul/13 8:53am

Okay, I have found a site that is going to be streaming the Elites Live, looks like only the racing on the Sunday at this point, but maybe keep an eye on the website because they must surely also be doing the Time Trials on the Saturday. You will have to register, but here it is

http://extreme.com/bmx/1029566/bmx-worlds-2013-live
dented

Postby dented on Sat 13/Jul/13 8:55am

UCi has now put up the full entry lists for all the Challenge (age-group) riders. So you can see how many in each age-group, and what countries they are from. Obviously a big Kiwi contingent in most age groups, but good to see a good spread of riders from Europe and America particularly. (Click on 'entries')

http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOF ... Y&LangId=1
dented

Postby dented on Thu 18/Jul/13 1:05pm

Work started on Monday morning to build the track. Huge task for contractors to build a world-class track that will stand-up to 2000 riders practising and racing on it for 7 days, some pictures here from late on Day 3. Start ramp construction is well underway and the start gate installation has begun. 1st and 4th straights have been shaped, and turn 1 and turn 3 have been built and coated in asphalt. Check out how close you will be to the action with front row seats.....
vector turn 1.jpg
vector turn 1 turn 3 progress.jpg
vector front row seats.jpg
dented

Postby Slapheid on Thu 18/Jul/13 2:58pm

Hotel and flights booked and Tickets bought for Sat And Sun's action.
My birthday treat this year :thumbsup:
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby dented on Thu 18/Jul/13 6:51pm

NIce one. I will be up there next week from Monday through to Thursday night. Then travelling back home for 2 days, and pop back up for the day on Sunday.
It would be so cool to see some NZ world champions. There are a couple of the younger kids that have tasted success at previous World Champs events, but what an awesome story it would be to find some young NZer, whose family have never been in a position to take them overseas for racing, always believing that just maybe they have what it takes...Guess we will know that 7 days from now.
Starting to get real excited personally, hard to concentrate on much else. :)
dented

Postby Mel on Thu 18/Jul/13 7:26pm

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to being there next Thursday. I had to choose between seeing the Elites on the Sunday, or seeing the friends and family do that one race of a lifetime in the challenge classes on the Thursday. Pretty easy decision. :thumbsup:

Would be super fun to be part of the team building that track. Mean as. :cool:
Mel
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dented on Fri 19/Jul/13 11:15am

7Sharp on TV1 at 7pm tonight (Friday) will have quite a bit of BMX related stuff on it, an interview with Sarah Walker, some stuff about the US pro's, etc
dented

Postby dented on Sat 20/Jul/13 3:51pm

There is a link here that shows a range of different ways to see coverage

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... U&LangId=1
dented

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling - Latest Posts