Advanced Stop Boxes - Wellington

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 3/Jul/13 8:07pm

These are popping up all over but is there going to be any education for drivers ( and cyclists for that matter) about how they work. Currently 1/2 the motorists I see ignore them and pull right up to the edge of the intersection. Anyone know what the plan is?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Advanced Stop Boxes - Wellington

Postby tylersdad on Wed 3/Jul/13 8:48pm

Apparently at the same time motorists are advised it is actually legal to ride 2 abreast - ie. never.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Wed 3/Jul/13 8:54pm

They are stupid. A place for high-vis mongs to ride to the front of a stopped line of stopped traffic, congregate, wobble around in front of traffic when the light goes green, hold everyone up and generally make motorists hate cyclists even more.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 3/Jul/13 9:45pm

Disagree. They're a safe place for cyclists to wait for lights to change. Massively improves their visibility and safety and I thank the council for them every time I have to stop at one.

Driver education will probably be in the newspaper or some other council newsletter, but how much hand holding do drivers really need? It should bloody obvious what they're there for.
Last edited by BrokenKonaRider on Thu 4/Jul/13 7:24am, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 3/Jul/13 10:10pm

Advanced Stop Boxes let cyclists do the tricky stuff (slow speed wobbles, lane crossing, right turn lane in intersection with multiple distractions) at the safest time, i.e. when cars are stopped or moving slowly.
A rider may not need to block the traffic but it is good to have the right to do so made explicit by the road marking.

Also the advanced stop box clearly says to drivers that it is right and proper for cyclists to filter up to the front of a stopped queue. This is important - some motorists resent this and think we should stop and take our place in the queue. They may or may not realise that we would then end up having to handle the intersection and its feeder lanes along with a stream of fast moving traffic, and they may or may not see that as a problem.

The great thing about the advanced stop box is that it produces safer behaviour from motorists without the need for them to understand why.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Fri 14/Nov/14 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 14/Nov/14 6:00pm

CrustyMTB wrote:These are popping up all over but is there going to be any education for drivers ( and cyclists for that matter) about how they work. Currently 1/2 the motorists I see ignore them and pull right up to the edge of the intersection. Anyone know what the plan is?

Well it seems it was this:
1. Put them out there without explaining what they are
2. Fine motorists who infringe
3. Provide more material to incite and inflame the motorised masses this evening:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/6320983 ... list-zones

That aside, I use them and reckon they are really good on the whole.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 14/Nov/14 6:47pm

Get Trevor Fucking Mallard to run blocker for you and you can re-enact SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT. except without the Firebird and the 18 Wheeler.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 14/Nov/14 8:37pm

For my two cents, it's an experiment in Wellington, poorly done.

The other day I had a driver veer into me, while I was in the cycle lane (just outside Michael Fowler). The yell I gave in fright caused them to stop dead, but damn.

There needs to be signage for the punters in cars.

And they are practically invisible to drivers once it's raining! Sheesh!
Malcy

Postby Jono on Fri 14/Nov/14 9:49pm

Malcy wrote:For my two cents, it's an experiment in Wellington, poorly done.

The other day I had a driver veer into me, while I was in the cycle lane (just outside Michael Fowler). The yell I gave in fright caused them to stop dead, but damn.

There needs to be signage for the punters in cars.

And they are practically invisible to drivers once it's raining! Sheesh!

Basically there are many people who drive (or ride) who are mongs. Defensive driving is as much for us as cyclists as us as drivers. But yeah, the education on advanced stop boxes hasn't been comprehensive
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Fri 14/Nov/14 11:37pm

They seem to be fairly self-explanatory to me, but I guess I'm not a mouth-breathing moron.

As for them getting lost in the rain, so do virtually all street markings. Every rainy day you see drivers struggling to find their lanes.
Oli

Postby Malcy on Sat 15/Nov/14 8:43am

They still need signs up, to highlight these things from the mouth breathers. And why are taxis so bad at noticing these markings?

I see it on Jervois Quay so often, drivers who do notice the green cycle lane move over for them, then move back as far left as possible after clearing them.
Malcy

Postby wachtourak on Sat 15/Nov/14 9:03am

Taxis are so bad at noticing any road markings

HERP DERP IMA JUST STOP ON THESE YELLOW LINES LOL
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Oli on Sat 15/Nov/14 12:10pm

wachtourak wrote:Taxis are so bad at noticing any road markings

HERP DERP IMA JUST STOP ON THESE YELLOW LINES LOL

Exactly.

And where would you put these signs, Malcy? Little ones on the side of the road maybe? The sort of people who ignore the obvious purpose of the stop boxes won't notice or care about signs, or the bike lane ones would prevent all the idiots parking on bike lanes. Education then eventual enforcement is the answer.
Oli

Postby Malcy on Sat 15/Nov/14 12:31pm

How about the big ones like around Oriental Bay, Newtown etc, and all other areas in Wellington where the road conditions like speed limits are changed?

That's the sort of signage I am talking.
Malcy

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts