More Mtb Trails In The Wairarapa Wanted

Postby ilikebirds on Fri 14/Jun/13 12:10am

So I think it's about time the Wairarapa got its shit together and created a decent, central network of mtb trails.
If we get out and dig during winter the summer of riding could be great.
I want somewhere I can ride every day after work if I feel like it. Prefereably downhill and freeride style tracks, but also sweeping flow tracks and steep and technical.
I have been out and done some digging on my own and with one other mate, but that is slow going and I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert in track cutting (Digging up a hole that you just filled in is so much harder than it was the first time)

My initial idea I would like to propose is to plan and build in the Mount Dick area in Carterton.

Pros:
  • There is already some track built there. There is an unloved but awesome steep and technical track from the summit, and also a grade 1 circuit and skills area built by the Wairarapa Multisprt Club.
  • The D.O.C. and council land in the area is huge and has a lot of altitude to work with (I think around 300m)
  • Most of the area is former pine plantation that has been logged and is being left to regenerate into native bush i.e. not being used.
  • There is a gravel logging road up to the top allowing for shuttling and easy access for building and moving in materials.
  • There is a variety of scenery, native, pine and scrub.
  • And a variety of soils, mainly rocky and clay but some loamy.
  • So much potential!!

Cons
  • It is a fairly well used area and tracks may be prone to vandalism by motorbikes (although signage and careful building may help to mitigate the risk)
  • I don't know if there are many people keen to help

What I am really interested in is gauging support and getting in touch with people who might want to get organised and get digging!

This is just an idea and I would be very keen to hear ideas of other sites or ways of going about this that I may not have thought of.

I firmly believe the demand is there for this project and that having a decent and functional mountain bike park in the Wairarapa would have many benefits for the region (and many benefits for me). So chuck some ideas down and maybe we can organise a meet up and a dig!

Plus check out the view!!
ilikebirds
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Re: More Mtb Trails In The Wairarapa Wanted

Postby carmanator on Fri 14/Jun/13 9:36am

Go talk to DOC, it never a better time to than now, trust me
carmanator

Postby muddydave on Fri 14/Jun/13 12:58pm

Yip, Mt dick has huge potential for trails and there is a good group of guys chomping at the bit to get going. come along to the tuesday night rides to get ya foot in the door and meet some of the locals or keep an eye on here....http://www.wmsc.org.nz/ for rides.
muddydave
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby ilikebirds on Fri 14/Jun/13 3:04pm

I have spoken to DOC and they would like plans on paper before officially allowing more building further up the hill. (can always do a little guerilla building if anyone is keen).

What I would really like to do is suss some ideas and get them on paper for submission to DOC.

While I appreciate the hard work of the WMSC in building and maintaining the current track, time trials just dont excite me enough to get me off my arse. I would much prefer to be digging up the hill, riding down, or planning something that would allow me to do more of the above. My priorities are just a bit different I guess.
ilikebirds

Postby muddydave on Fri 14/Jun/13 5:06pm

yeah fair enough. from what i understand there is a few guys within this group that are on the pulse with DOC and things are in place to move forward, but paperwork and logging take some time to clear unfortunately. And as per usual the more bikers behind it the better.
muddydave
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby thebretman on Sun 2/Feb/14 9:38pm

Any news on this - I see a note on the multisport website that some new trails might be underway? - any recent news?
thebretman
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts