Track Cycling History Question

Postby fatwombat on Fri 7/Jun/13 2:20pm

I have this old Aussie cycling top that I plan to put in a frame and put in the PNP shed at the velodrome, but I want to be able to label it with where and when it was used, and maybe source a photo of the squad. I haven't had any help from Aussie cycling, so I'm turning to the fountain of cycling knowledge in case anyone out there can help. The jersey sponsor was bought out by Compaq in 1998 so it is before then; looking at the names in it, some of those riders would have been too young to be in a national squad before the mid-90's.

Names I've been able to read off it are:
Karen Barrow
Kerrie Meares
Felicity Myers
Lucy Tyler-Sharman
Natalie Bates
Gene Bates
Doug Hunt
Kerrie Johnson
Sandra Smith
Ben Brooks
Caleb Manion

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aussie cycling top 001.JPG
aussie cycling top 006.JPG
aussie cycling top 005.JPG
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Track Cycling History Question

Postby slumdog on Fri 7/Jun/13 4:47pm

Are you sure it's a track top? They usually wear skin suits, no need for gear pockets on the back?
Otherwise google is the enemy/your friend:
Jackpot!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Tyler-Sharman
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 7/Jun/13 5:33pm

Cheers for that SD. Yeah, I googled every rider on that list, found some personal profile pages on cycle team websites, wikipedia pages, etc but nothing with direct contact details so that I could ask one of the riders directly. I'd say Lucy probably has the most interesting history, switching countries and disciplines, drug scandals, lawsuits over team places ...

I agree that it looks like a road kit, not a track kit, but most of the riders on the list are more identified with track than with road, so I thought maybe it's a training kit for the track squad or something. I also wondered if it was a juniors squad that LTS coached or managed, because she is 10-15 years older than most of the others.
fatwombat

Postby fatwombat on Wed 19/Jun/13 2:51pm

Success! A very helpful reply from Lyriane Beuzeville (Exec.Ops.Manager at Cycling Australia) tells me that it's from the Oceania Champs held in Wanganui in 1997. Some photos ...
oceania 1997 - wanganui - 04.JPG
These guys were U19 in 1997, some of them must still be racing ... does anyone recognise any of them?
oceania 1997 - wanganui - 05.JPG
Check out the handlebars on the red-helmet guy's bike - should they be legal now?
oceania 1997 - wanganui - 12.JPG
oceania 1997 - wanganui - 09.JPG
fatwombat

Postby gydey on Wed 19/Jun/13 3:24pm

U19 TP..back left is current NZ Head Coach Dayle Cheatley..and in front of him looks like Gordon Bearman?
gydey
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Australia | Cycling | Regions | Track Cycling - Latest Posts