Top Of The South Touring

Postby Bob_Jones on Tue 4/Jun/13 2:17pm

In the midst of planning a few weeks of touring around the top of the South Island and was hoping I could get some tips from locals/ experienced tourers!

The plan, as it stand,s involves loading up our bikes (One Ragley Bluepig and one on-one Inbred), and traversing the top of the South. We'll be starting at the Picton Ferry and hoping to ultimately end out in Karamea (end of the Heaphy). On the way we are hoping to get in as much single track/ off road riding as possible. We figure we'll then just turn around and ride back to the ferry.

The difficult bit is that neither of us have ever done any touring, and also have no experience riding off-road on loaded bikes. As it stands Freeloader racks seem like the obvious choice, but I'm conflicted whether I should commit and get 2 or whether one on the back and a pack would do the trick as well.

Too make it all a bit more difficult we're looking at starting mid-july so chances of getting cold and/or wet are quite high...

Long story short, any tips/ suggestions would be really helpful.
Bob_Jones
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Top Of The South Touring

Postby mfw on Wed 5/Jun/13 10:18am

Hmm...

=} Kiwi Brevet route to Nelson (Nydia track could be a nice side trip, might be a bit technical for touring setup tho)
=} Great Taste trail from Nelson to Riwaka
=} SH60 to top of Takaka hill (not your average state highway!)
=} Canaan rd / Canaan downs / Rameka tracks to Takaka (awesome riding)
=} SH60 again to Collingwood / start of Heaphy
Last edited by mfw on Thu 6/Jun/13 8:36am, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby stealth mode on Wed 5/Jun/13 12:29pm

go for a light back pack and large seat bag if you can
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby DaveM on Wed 5/Jun/13 12:52pm

Could always jump on a boat in Picton, and get dropped off somewhere to ride part of the Queen Charlotte track. There is a cycle way from Anakiwa to Havelock. Then go from Pelorus Bridge, over the Maungatapu Track, into Maitai Valley
DaveM
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Colin on Wed 5/Jun/13 1:47pm

I did the Heaphy with about 7 kg on a Freeload rack on the back of my Blur LT and 4ish kg + water on my back.

Bike's handling was significantly altered by having all additional weight on the back/unsprung.

Planning my next overnight ride* where I intend to split the weight on the bike front & rear and probably seatpost mounted rather than swingarm.

* next apart from the overnight trip a couple of weeks ago where we used a helicopter to deliver / collect our luggage. Rocking up to a hut in the wilderness where there were beers and the food wasn't freezer drier was made of awesome.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby tanadog on Wed 5/Jun/13 8:34pm

Be worth carrying on from Karamea to Seddonville and riding the completed Mokihinui end of the Old Ghost Rd, then out to Ngakawau via Charming Creek. If your legs have anything in them, and the wx is ok you could take the Dennistoun Shortcut to New Creek, then back thru Murch, Porika, St Arnuad etc and before you know it you be back on the ferry.....
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby Bob_Jones on Thu 6/Jun/13 10:15pm

Thanks for the tips, interesting looking at the setups that people had for the brevet. I've managed to track down a Freeloader rack and I've got some Ortlieb panniers as well. Seeing the Brevet set ups I see a lot of people were running really big saddle bags or big loads off the handlebars. Is there any advantage to doing it this way rather than having it on the freeload racks?
Bob_Jones
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby stealth mode on Fri 7/Jun/13 11:25am

i ran freeload on Brevet, was OK on the fire road/tarmac sections. Wasnt a fan of the handling when it came to single track tho. I have since done a bunch of other multi day rides with seat bag back pack combo and seat bag handle bar bag combo.

Much prefer the first combo when it comes to a multi with more single track, I rode Q.C Wakamarina and Naydia like this and found it sweet.... I was traveling very light with out sleeping gear and was very pongy after 3 days in the saddle :thumbsup:
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 7/Jun/13 9:40pm

stealth mode wrote:i ran freeload on Brevet, was OK on the fire road/tarmac sections. Wasnt a fan of the handling when it came to single track tho....

Out of interest were you using a front mounted or a rear mounted freeload??
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby stealth mode on Sat 8/Jun/13 5:40am

pushbikerider wrote:
stealth mode wrote:i ran freeload on Brevet, was OK on the fire road/tarmac sections. Wasnt a fan of the handling when it came to single track tho....

Out of interest were you using a front mounted or a rear mounted freeload??

have used on rear and front for multi day missions, had it mounted on rear for KB
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Marlborough | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts