Simplification

Postby Cabin on Tue 30/Apr/13 1:06am

ImageJust one day after SingleSpeed nationals and the gears have gone back on my hardtail already as really; I am a bit soft. But there is something to be said for the simplification that less gears brings. So while the buzz over XX1 groupsets continues, I started to search for a more affordable option and here it is. Chainring from wolftooth components married to an XTR clutch derailleur. Solid, quiet, simple. Highly reccomended.

Link to original article: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/2013/04 ... ation.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://nicandcabin.blogspot.com/feeds/p ... lt?alt=rss
Original Published: 9:29pm Monday, 29th April 2013 - NZST
Cabin
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Re: Simplification

Postby dwgknz on Tue 30/Apr/13 7:56am

Spoke Magazine had a cheap SRAM version recently.

http://spokemagazine.com/2013/03/07/mildie-gets-all-dukes-of-hazard/
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby Cabin on Tue 30/Apr/13 1:24pm

Yip. Difference with this is no need for the XX1 cranks. Woolftooth is making chainrings for regular cranks from both shimano and sram. Add to any clutch tyype derailleur. Then if you really want the mega range gears grab that general lee 4-cog set to extend your cassette
Cabin

Postby mfw on Tue 30/Apr/13 1:28pm

I love the 1*10 idea, but in this era of 'marginal gains' doesn't this setup give a poor (inefficient) chainline in the climbing gears?
mfw
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Tue 30/Apr/13 1:45pm

I think the better way to go is 2x5 with a Hope trials hub or similar, less dish = stronger wheel, less weight in the rear wheel too = less unsprung mass = win.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Cabin on Tue 30/Apr/13 5:13pm

mfw wrote:I love the 1*10 idea, but in this era of 'marginal gains' doesn't this setup give a poor (inefficient) chainline in the climbing gears?

Sits about where a traditional middle ring would so the chainline is still pretty good. I just love the zero dropped chains along with pretty much complete silence from the drivetrain....
Cabin

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 30/Apr/13 6:23pm

phunk wrote:I think the better way to go is 2x5 with a Hope trials hub or similar, less dish = stronger wheel, less weight in the rear wheel too = less unsprung mass = win.

Bring back half-step chainrings! :)
Actually they work better now than they did originally now that we have STI to do all those front shifts. And you don't drop chains when there is only a small difference between the rings. I ran 38/42T fronts on a commuter once, it was great on the flat.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Slim on Tue 30/Apr/13 7:44pm

My DIY version is way cooler
image.jpg
Slim

Postby Oli on Tue 30/Apr/13 8:42pm

Slim wrote:My DIY version is way cooler
YFY :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Tue 30/Apr/13 8:54pm

Would look better on my bike than sitting around :hmmm:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby nathanael on Tue 30/Apr/13 10:05pm

Very nice! I too am on a "one by" kick right now. I'd be interested to see if the unique tooth profile still holds the chain after a bit of wear.
nathanael
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Slim on Wed 1/May/13 7:56am

nathanael wrote:Very nice! I too am on a "one by" kick right now. I'd be interested to see if the unique tooth profile still holds the chain after a bit of wear.

It does and it works on standard style rear mech with no chain guide too.
Slim

Postby nathanael on Wed 1/May/13 11:15am

Slim wrote:It does and it works on standard style rear mech with no chain guide too.

Good to know! I've never once dropped a chain with my Paul chain keeper, but I would try these rings just out of curiosity.
nathanael
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 1/May/13 12:48pm

You say DIY, but I'm not gonna be able to pull that off with a file, you supplying?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Matahina on Wed 1/May/13 1:54pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

You say DIY, but I'm not gonna be able to pull that off with a file, you supplying?

Lo0k awesome! Keen for a 36t if you are making them
Matahina
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport | Sifting | The Adventures of Nic + Cabin | Vogs - Latest Posts