The Club Nationals 2013

Postby SamultheCamul on Thu 25/Apr/13 1:04am

Time Trial - Photo James MacPherson

Following  a long flight home from Perth and a couple of days back at work, Wednesday night rolled around fast and it was time to pack up the Subaru and head south for the National Club Championships, this year held in Arrowtown. As defending champ in both the Time Trial and Road Race expectations were high although my legs were feeling fatigued after a busy week of travel and racing.

The weather forecast for the week looked pretty bleak, so I was happy to wake on Thursday morning to clear skies and no rain. The temperatures was low however, quite a contrast to the pleasant warmth of Perth. I got out for an early morning spin in attempt to loosen up the legs and was surprised by the technical nature of our course. We were to do the 20km course twice with a total of five u-turns, six sharp left corners and two right corners. There were a few uphill and downhill sections and a variety of road surfaces although on a positive note, the total distance came to be a bit short of the usual 40km.

Time Trial Podium

Onto the event itself and in the end, my performance was solid but not super. I started conservatively but was never really able to build from there. My eventual time of 50min30 was reasonable (given the distance was a bit short) and power was ok and I ended up second to Andy Hagen from Wellington. Andy had a great ride and congratulations to him for taking the win after several years on the podium.

With the road race not until Sunday, I really enjoyed a couple of days ‘holidaying’ in Queenstown, sampling as many of the local bars, restaurants and cafes as possible, including favourites Rata (Josh Emett’s restaurant), Vudu Cafe & Larder, Kappa and The Mount Difficulty Vineyard. It was also good to get out and support several of the junior and masters races over those couple of days. Particular mention must be made of the senior women, U19 women and all else who had to brave some awful cold and wet conditions to race on the Saturday.

Snow on the Southern Alps – Photo by Me on the drive home.

Luckily conditions had improved by Sunday. While temperatures were still a bit frosty, there was no rain and even a few periods of sun shine. The combined senior and u23 men’s race was 150km in distance, comprised of six laps of the oceania course. It featured two major climbs, with the Littles Road climb in particular being very steep, but also plenty of other rolling hills. It was a fantastic course that suited a real all round rider.

Anticipating a fast and hard start, I jumped on the first move of the day up the opening climb. There were five riders present early on, but by the end of the first lap only three riders remained at the front – Matt Zenovich, Alex McGregor and I. Our move dangled at less than a minute advantage over the main field and I was apprehensive about pushing on without a few more riders to bolster the break. Zenovich had other ideas however and pushed on solo on the second trip up Littles Road, while McGregor and I were happily reabsorbed by the peloton.

Shortly after, Gordon McCauley made his move, attacking through the start finish area and taking several riders with him. Frustratingly, despite Gordy’s obvious class, the bunch seemed happy to let this group ride away and they were quickly out to a lead of over two minutes. Unwilling to takeup pace making in the bunch myself, I instead bided my time in the bunch, eventually making my move on the fourth lap up the feed station climb.

The Littles Road Climb – Photo Robyn Edie

Over the next lap, things were looking positive. I had Jared Holmes for company and we rode across to an earlier established group containing the Richard Lawson, Tim Rush and Luck Macpherson. The gap to the front had been halved to a minute and up ahead Gordy had used and was shelling several of his breakaway companions.

Our chances were further increased when Hagen, James Early and Sam Friend joined us on the penultimate ascent of Littles Road but up ahead the now trio of Gordy, Zenovich and McGregor dug deep. Despite our best efforts they maintained their minute advantage and Gordy won in fine style with Zenovich taking the u23 title. I comfortably won the sprint for third, while my club mates Lawson and Friend took second and third in the u23 classification respectively.

Road Race Podium

Tactically it was a frustrating race for me, although even now I am still undecided whether my best option was committing to the early break with Zenovich, or chasing Gordy earlier. On a positive note my legs were really coming right by the end of the race and I feel confident that with some quality training over the long Anzac weekend I will be ready for the Tour of Toowoomba in a fortnight.

Congrats to Gordy on another win to add to his sizable palmares. Meanwhile I was stoked to have Lawson, Friend and Early driving it in the chase group with me. We have some real depth here in Canterbury cycling but I’m also proud of the hard work ethic and aggression that our local riders show. I am expecting big results in the future from these guys.

Until next time, thanks for reading.

Sam

www.samhorgan.com

ImageImageImage

Link to original article: http://www.samhorgan.com/cycling/the-cl ... nals-2013/
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://www.samhorgan.com/feed/
Original Published: 11:17am Wednesday, 24th April 2013 - NZST
SamultheCamul
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: The Club Nationals 2013

Postby Kirky on Thu 25/Apr/13 11:23pm

Good post Sam. Kirky
Kirky
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Vogs - Latest Posts