Weathers Changing Where To Ride?? Riverhead Vs Woodhill

Postby ecobulb on Fri 19/Apr/13 1:06pm

I haven't ridden riverhead before and really wanted to try it but this weeks been a bit wet.

Anyone know whether it'll still be good riding or is it back into woodhill season now that things have hopefully wetted down a bit?

Also if there's info somewhere or trail map someone could give me a heads up on that would be fantastic.
ecobulb
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Re: Weathers Changing Where To Ride?? Riverhead Vs Woodhill

Postby ShoreBoy on Fri 19/Apr/13 5:04pm

Haven't been to Riverhead in a while myself, but as a general rule, more than a day's rain + riverhead = slippery messy awesomeness! If you like mud, you'll love Riverhead in the winter. Be aware though, it's VERY different to Woodhill, and the trails can be overgrown if no-one has been doing the housework.

Trail map here: http://www.wcrc.co.nz/wcrcmap.php
There are also a few trails that aren't on that map as it's quite old, but it's the only one I know of.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby trancemaster on Sun 21/Apr/13 4:09pm

RH season for single track within the forest is nearly over due to wet clay. season is really mid nov - mid april
however the extensive gravel roads are o f course ok away from any logging;
and West coast WCRC trails at RH in the north facing in recent cut blocks will be good after a few days wind and sun drying them out.

WH sand is a last resort winter standby option

hunuas - Momoukai valley is designed and finished to cope with wet;

but for real old school hard mtb check out Waharau ridge loop

Waiheke mtb, good , not after real rain tho

Slater Rd private farm a great oncer - if its on the XC race + cruiser ride , at the club series again

or in the wet , ride the plateau pumice ...
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby globe on Sun 21/Apr/13 6:12pm

Rode WH today, riding like a dream, so much fun
globe
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 29/Sep/15 8:12pm

Daylight savings has arrived. Bit of a thread dredge, but has anyone ridden Riverhead in the last week? I typically avoid it like the plague during winter.
Must admit I'm enjoying the new trails at Woodhill too. Not quite as much as some gondola assisted "suspension tuning" the week before.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Wed 30/Sep/15 8:26am

Nah - but I was out at Maraetai on Sunday and that was riding pretty good. Still a bit soggy in places though.

With this dry spell it should be drying out a bit out Riverhead?

Rode the little trails out Muriwai the other week. Quite fun - but not huge amount of them and the elevation is pretty low...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts