Pureora Timbertrails Report. Primo!

Postby TuiAllen on Sun 14/Apr/13 5:46pm

Our club the WAMOs (Waipa Mountainbikes) rode the entire 85km course last weekend. 18 riders involved. We shuttled to the start and then rode back to our cars.
Read about it and check out the pics, on our web site here
http://www.waipamtb.org.nz/pagefiles/newssstories1.html
TuiAllen
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Pureora Timbertrails Report. Primo!

Postby davidg on Sun 14/Apr/13 7:27pm

How long did the actual ride take? Keen to give it a go in a day - can do 42nd traverse without too much trouble so would this be a similar amount of effort required ? From what I can tell the "expert" times for many of the cycleway trails are achievable by the moderately fit and seem to err on the side of caution but just want to make sure. Also I note the heading on the page says 2011, not 2013.
davidg
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 14/Apr/13 7:39pm

Are you looking just to ride the trail in a day, ie have someone pick you up at the end?, or are you looking to drop the car at one end and ride back to it?

another user on here has parked his car at ongarue, ridden up the road to the trail start and back to his car in a day, was about 10 hours as I recall (with 3 solid hours on the seal)

riding from the Pureora end to the ongarue end should be achievable by a fit mountain biker, ongarue to pureora would be tougher
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby davidg on Sun 14/Apr/13 9:53pm

Definitely wouldn't ride back at the end. I consider myself average fitness and would go around the Karapoti in about 4.15. Have done a few of the shorter trails like tree trunk gorge and coach road in Ohakune within the "expert" time guide even though I'm definitely not "expert" level .

Just trying to get a feel as to how easy it would be in a single day as I wouldn't want to over-estimate its difficulty and do it over 2 days and only end up riding a couple of hours each day. Much rather do it in a day and ride somewhere else the following day on the drive back to Wellington.

Looking at the gradient chart even though it is much longer than the 42nd it has a lot more downhill so I'm hoping it would be a similar effort and time overall.
davidg

Postby TuiAllen on Mon 15/Apr/13 9:38am

Davidg _ I have changed the date from 2011 to 2013 - thanks for alerting me to that!
Last edited by TuiAllen on Mon 15/Apr/13 9:42am, edited 1 time in total.
TuiAllen

Postby TuiAllen on Mon 15/Apr/13 9:42am

It took us around 7 hours and we are all very fit but included some slower ones AND we had many stops for looking at the view and a lunch stop etc. The fast ones could have done it in five probably if they weren't waiting around for the slower ones like me. But you don't want to rush through and miss those views and forests. Otherwise you might as well do five hours on the trainer. Book your shuttle to pick you up at 8am or earlier at Ongarue, so you don't have to worry about running out of daylight, and/or take lights!That's what we did - you can never guarantee not getting a mechanical that forces you to walk out. Then you'd need light.
TuiAllen

Postby davidg on Mon 15/Apr/13 11:27am

Thanks - given that I'll probably be doing it in winter when the days are shorter I think I'll give it 2 days to make it a bit less hectic and a chance to enjoy the scenery (as long as it's not too misty of course).
davidg

Postby TuiAllen on Mon 15/Apr/13 12:38pm

There is a very cool way to do this (the 2 day thing) You do it over a weekend and stay at the Blackfern lodge. They sort everything for you like shuttles etc and it is apparently really fun and cheap too. We intend to do this with a women's group soon.
TuiAllen

Postby nagem on Mon 15/Apr/13 12:58pm

We drove down late on afternoon at Easter and camped the night at Piropiro Flats then rode down to the Ongarue Spiral and back. It took about 6 hours with lunch/scenery stops and was a great ride.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Clubs - Latest Posts