Left At Rapaki Top?

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 4/Apr/13 12:13pm

Just wondering... How many people will admit to heading along the summit from Rapaki towards Mt Pleasant, via the Castle Rock trail to Bridle Path etc...?

Personally, i've not been along there since it was shut, and i guess i probably shouldnt, but i'm keen to check it out some time and was wanting a report on it. I'm only interested in riding to Bridle Path and back, basically. A mate has been riding up from Lyttelton, doing the Castle Rock Track and also going over the top of the Gondola, reckons its all sweet...

but what is it like from Rapaki? under Witch Hill?
How is it under the Tors?

Just out of interest...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Left At Rapaki Top?

Postby Slim on Thu 4/Apr/13 12:29pm

I rode it between the quakes and it being properly closed to get to a mates place that was inaccessable, I've not been back as it was pretty sketchy.

I know plenty of people are using bridle path, but I've not been back.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 4/Apr/13 12:41pm

Slim wrote:I rode it between the quakes and it being properly closed to get to a mates place that was inaccessable, I've not been back as it was pretty sketchy.

same here - we hiked in along the top all the way to castle rock the wed after the quakes (pre signage or any official closure) - rockfall on the road was pretty bad out that way (few big boulders on the road under rapaki but LOTS on the stretch between the tors and castle rock). Met a park ranger coming the other way at castle rock and he said it was even sketchier the other side (presume he'd 4wd'd up the bridle path cos obviosuly NOTHING could get under the gondola).
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 4/Apr/13 1:05pm

it's also been ages since i've been up Rapaki (yawn!) - what's the signage like to the left there now???
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Brucie on Thu 4/Apr/13 1:58pm

the tracks (witches & castle rock) are in great nick, no damage at all and a nice grippy layer of short grass on them. imho better done from mt pleasant back to rapaki and going up and over the gondola (cavendish saddle to top bridle path) is spot on, that way you avoid any closed roads!
Brucie
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 4/Apr/13 2:44pm

sweet. that's the kind intel i been after... chur chur.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby sjb on Tue 9/Apr/13 5:13pm

a mate told me that last night there were 2 new rocks on the castle rock track. he suspects theyre from the rock removal operations.

apparently, this is quite regular so you never get the same trail every time.
sjb
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 9/Apr/13 8:50pm

word from CCC ranger-land is that opening the summit road & consequently Witch Hill & Castle Rock tracks is high on priority list, as is opening the top 2/3 of Capt Thomas (with bottom end access off Sumnervale)
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 9/Apr/13 9:55pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:word from CCC ranger-land is that opening the summit road & consequently Witch Hill & Castle Rock tracks is high on priority list, as is opening the top 2/3 of Capt Thomas (with bottom end access off Sumnervale)

any word on time frames . . . .?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 10/Apr/13 8:51am

sjb wrote:a mate told me that last night there were 2 new rocks on the castle rock track. he suspects theyre from the rock removal operations.

hmmm... didnt notice any new ones last week. There's a nice big one on the road just down the hill from the entrance. And the crater rim walkway above Cass Bay has a wicked wee patch of rock fall with a massive boulder looks like its got shattered supports and is ready to go anytime... not a comfortable moment or two riding under it... :blink:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 10/Apr/13 6:54pm

Brucie wrote:the tracks (witches & castle rock) are in great nick, no damage at all and a nice grippy layer of short grass on them. imho better done from mt pleasant back to rapaki and going up and over the gondola (cavendish saddle to top bridle path) is spot on, that way you avoid any closed roads!

Not that i have done it but its pretty good both ways :-)
CT is pretty good now also - so i am told ;-)

BUT for F**ks sake don't make a video and put it on you tube....
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 10/Apr/13 8:26pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:word from CCC ranger-land is that opening the summit road & consequently Witch Hill & Castle Rock tracks is high on priority list, as is opening the top 2/3 of Capt Thomas (with bottom end access off Sumnervale)

In a word, No.
All I know is they are "priorities". Personally I've given up expecting anyone to commit to anything, especially time frames, in respect of EQ aftermath.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 10/Apr/13 9:28pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:

In a word, No.
All I know is they are "priorities". Personally I've given up expecting anyone to commit to anything, especially time frames, in respect of EQ aftermath.

like the owners of the 20000 buggered houses :paranoid: :(
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby sjb on Fri 12/Apr/13 9:17am

swtchbckr wrote:
sjb wrote:a mate told me that last night there were 2 new rocks on the castle rock track. he suspects theyre from the rock removal operations.

hmmm... didnt notice any new ones last week. There's a nice big one on the road just down the hill from the entrance. And the crater rim walkway above Cass Bay has a wicked wee patch of rock fall with a massive boulder looks like its got shattered supports and is ready to go anytime... not a comfortable moment or two riding under it... :blink:

he stopped and rolled them to the side. apparently bridle path lyttelton side is full of them as well from the recent rock clearing, theres a small portion of rock garden half way down
sjb
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 12/Apr/13 9:39am

Rapaki and left was sweet last night, track is clear and not overgrown. - so i was told ;-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking | Sifting | Trail Riding - Latest Posts