First Cycle Tour - Otago

Postby Riley-NZL on Sat 30/Mar/13 5:48pm

I'm planning on doing a 5-7 day cycle tour through Otago later this year and am looking for any advice/insight from anyone who's done this sought of thing. I don't really have a lot planed out at this stage but I would like to cycle from Dunedin to middlemarch, then through the Otago Rail Trail, and then find another route back to Dunedin. I would like to avoid motels etc and just stick to camping, and carry everything with me. Rather then carrying all the weight on my bike I'm looking at buying one of these:

Everything I've read says it's a very good trailer, only real issue is security as you can't really lock it's contents.
The main things I need to do now is decide on a route, pick a date, and work out all the gear I'm going to need. Clothing is one of the big things as currently I do all my biking in jeans and T-shirt, not the most comfortable for long distance biking, especially if it starts raining.
Riley-NZL
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Re: First Cycle Tour - Otago

Postby hdb on Sat 30/Mar/13 6:47pm

Sounds like a good tour, weather may be your wildcard, I suspect.. I haven't ridden that area myself, so I'm not able to offer too much first-hand detail.

A good site for touring info is Crazy Guy on a Bike: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/loca ... pe=journal is the NZ section; if you read through some of the journals there, you'll be able to pick up the routes people have taken (Caitlins, Dansey's Pass, etc) as well as what they carried and how it worked/failed..
hdb
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Sun 31/Mar/13 4:19am

Thanks, that's a great website (the content anyway, the design is terrible).

One of the other things I'm concerned about is my bike, it's a full mountain bike (bergamont Threesome 5.0) so I may have to look at buying something a bit more suited to the task.
Riley-NZL

Postby EoinC on Sun 31/Mar/13 2:29pm

How much gear are you planning on taking, Riley-NZL? You may find that lugging 6-months worth of survival stocks takes some of the fun out of a 1-week tour. If, by later this year, you mean late October onwards, you may negate the need to prepare as if for Winter-over at Scott Base. I think I'd shy away from hauling a trailer unless absolutely necessary (my 2c).
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby poledo on Sun 31/Mar/13 8:42pm

Hopefully by that time of year the Roxburgh Gorge trail will be finished. Wide, graded track with hilly bits and awesome views from Alexandra (end of rail trail) to Roxburgh. The soon to be completed Clutha Gold Trail will get you from Roxburgh to Lawrence. You could then go up the hill (gravel road) to Lake Mahinerangi and down the Waipori Gorge (native bush, river) to Outram to complete the loop. Ride back to Dunedin from there (30km's?).
You should be able to camp all the way through. Buy some bike shorts too :thumbsup:
Would be a great loop!
http://www.nzcycletrail.com/clutha-gold-trail
http://www.nzcycletrail.com/roxburgh-gorge-trail
poledo
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Mon 1/Apr/13 5:36am

There is plans to make one go from Dunedin and join up with the one from Lawrence making a complete track from Dunedin to Roxburgh, back down to middlemarch, then using the Tairei Gorge train would make a complete loop from Dunedin and back. I think the time frame for the Dunedin to Lawrence section is a bit further away though.

Any idea when those two you mentioned will be open?
Riley-NZL

Postby poledo on Mon 1/Apr/13 8:23pm

Not sure about Alex' to Roxburgh. Best to ring one of the bike shops in Alex'. If it's not completed by the time of your ride, riding the other side of the river up and over the Knobby range to Roxburgh Dam is doable in all but the middle of winter (snow). Good riding too, arguably better than the gorge trail too.
As for the trail to Lawrence, parts are already open I think. The bits that aren't pretty much run next to the road anyway. You can get all the way from Roxburgh to Beaumont without going on the main road by following the true left side of the Clutha River - all flat.
poledo
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Philthy on Wed 3/Apr/13 7:36am

Some good advice there, but I'm not too sure on your choice of trailer. If I were you I'd be looking at a BOB, probably the Ibex if you're spending time on rough terrain - single wheel trailers are heaps better on uneven ground, less likely to tip over. Having said that, I wouldn't reccomend taking a trailer at all.
For a relatively short tour like this where supplies are regularly available, a couple of Freeload racks with a dry bag on each, and a hydration pack with a some space for temporarily carrying some extra food, is pretty much perfect. I used one rack and two dry bags for a 1200km ride around central last summer where I camped most nights.
Getting lots of riding in before hand is a vital, and is as much about toughening up your backside as it is improving fitness. And ditch the jeans!
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby RimTape on Wed 3/Apr/13 10:00am

Definitely a Bob trailer if you do go the trailer route.
The Ibex is the one with suspension and is heavier.
Personally I would just use a standard Bob even on rough ground.
I would not use a two wheel trailer off road.

Cheers
Velox
RimTape
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Riley-NZL on Sun 6/Oct/13 3:55am

So went against your guys advice and got the nomad:

Seems to handle all of Dunedin's potholes fine so far, including accidenlty running it up a curb. Will try post a video of it with my GoPro so you can see how it rides in the next couple days.
Riley-NZL

Postby jo on Sun 6/Oct/13 4:58pm

When is your tour? :)

Cant help but think if you need a trailer you've packed too much! :D But horses for courses of course. :music:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Sun 6/Oct/13 7:43pm

Not really much different to having panniers. I think I'll do the Mountain to Ocean (Mt Cook to Oamaru) this side of Christmas, and hopefully all three of the Central Otago ones in Sequence in Autumn next year.
Riley-NZL

Postby scatter on Sun 6/Oct/13 8:06pm

Please do let us know how it goes (I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in your setup)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Cruzzer on Sun 6/Oct/13 10:48pm

Hopefully the trails aren't too rough as trailers and put excessive load on suspension pivots that aren't designed for such duties.
My XC Fully eventually had a cracked frame after 5,000km on the GDR with a BOB trailer. It did ride well tho and the Bob was great.
Get a hardtail if you can and save your fully for whats its designed for.
Cruzzer
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Mon 7/Oct/13 8:19am

I do intend to get a hard tail at some point, mostly comes down to money. Any suggestions on a good bike for this task?
Riley-NZL

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts