Re: Polhill Downhill Trail Digging Started

Postby Fango on Mon 4/Feb/13 4:16pm

thelongwalk wrote:Nope - Fango's assumption and use of 4 question marks was based on I don't know what -there's never been any mention of changing Transient's status

great rain

Assumption (wrong, as it turned out) based on something I read on Facebook. Sorry I overcooked the question marks - in fairness, there were two questions so I only doubled-up. Thanks for the clarification.
Fango
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 4/Feb/13 4:23pm

Fango wrote:Assumption based on something I read on Facebook.

:D
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 10/Feb/13 6:32pm

SO a big week. We had three digs and the trail is really progressing. We've used a lot of tyres to build a lot of berms and today we also built a big bump to get some air. On tuesday two people turned up to help, the public holiday on wednesday and today saw 12 people turn up each time which is awesome and really appreciated.

We're roaring through the trail and are about to exit through two big pine trees onto the 4wd drive. We'll then berm it to the right and its down into a valley of mahoe and big tree roots. Digs continue this week -Tues-5-8, wed 1230-2, sun 1-4. All welcome.
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7126.JPG
thelongwalk
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 10/Feb/13 9:58pm

Looking epic.

Good to have a dig so close to the bottom - easier to nip up for a quick smash.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 17/Feb/13 8:03pm

The second week digging has gone well. Thx on tuesday to Paul, Joel, Mary, Owen and Colin.

On wednesday Matt, Lisa, Simon, Sarah and Oliver helped Craig and I.

And today Luke, Andrew, Ant, Greg, Daniel and Ali turned up in the hot sun to finish the berm on the ridge. The good news is we have turned into native bush which will provide some shade.

Digs this week again tues 5-8, wed 1230-2, and sun 1-4. Cheers
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7163.JPG
testing the line
thelongwalk

Postby gristle on Tue 5/Mar/13 8:29am

Well the great wellington dry continues and so does the building on Serendipity. On Sunday we continued on the punga grove. Thx for Dexter, Gavin, Ali and Andrew for helping out. Martin helped out on Wed but more talking got done than work, as we meet WCC onsite. And Chris lead a busy Tue after work with Alex, Andrew, Francesca and 4 others whose names I don't have- as I left the paper work on site. Tip top.
The same next week- Tues 5-730, wed 1230-2 and sun 1-4.
Numbers are starting to tail off after a heady start so if your thinking about turning up -don't hesitate. Even half a hour is great. Cheers
11246_494984653871128_1083584095_n.jpg
gristle
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 10/Mar/13 10:45pm

We'll we've staggered through another week. Its too dry to build finished track but we are starting to hit lots of rock as we get further into the valley which is great.
Thx on Tuesday night to Joel Hirsh, Mike O'Connor, Colin, Alex V, Julie Williams, Thomas Ekholm, Eugene and one other Revolve lady I've missed.
ON Wednesday Scott G and Andrew M turned up and today Craig, Kevin and Andrew helped me before I left early as a bit crook.
Once again thx for all the help.

Same dig times this week -tues 5-7, wed 1230-2 and sun 1-4. Cheers
IMG_7224.jpg
a cherry tree in trouble
thelongwalk

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 10/Mar/13 10:57pm

Pop that cherry!
Velocipedestrian

Postby thelongwalk on Wed 13/Mar/13 8:19pm

So we have finally hit the tree roots, a nice off camber section will be kept for those inclined, with a easier option at the bottom.
We also had an awesome turn out on Tuesday with eight people turning up to help Chris. The highlights included David Clark who was over from Adelaide on holiday. A keen mountain biker/digger he saw the sign while riding and helped out. Awesome.
Thx also to Nigel Johnson, Julie Williams, Christy Drysdale-Dunn, Francisica and Alex, Thomas Ekholm and Derek.
A couple of people turned up to help us today as well.
A reminder that the super V is on Saturday and we'll be working on the tree root section Sunday. Cheers
IMG_7231.jpg
you can just make out the trail in the background
thelongwalk

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 17/Mar/13 7:32pm

Thanks to Cristy, Simon,Finn and Ali for helping out today.
Two sets of retaining were finished and a nice piece of track done.
As can be seen from the photo, it may have tried to rain but things were dry. We are probably 50 meters from the switchback.
Same this week -tues 5-7, wed 1230-2 and sun 1-4.
Any help appreciated. cheers
IMG_7247.jpg
thelongwalk

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 17/Mar/13 9:45pm

Man, I look good from behind.
Velocipedestrian

Postby thelongwalk on Sun 24/Mar/13 9:43pm

So another great weak. On Tue Phil McKraken from Nelson and Kristy helped me out. On wed Martin and someone whose name was lost lent a hand.
Today was epic with Nick Hunn, Josef Templeton, his son Robert, David Long, Kerry Deane, Rebecca Speirs and Chris turning up. Some stayed for 4 hours. Awesome.
Same next week as we continue to make great progress- Tues 5-7, wed 1230-2 and sun 1-4. Cheers
IMG_7258.JPG
finally building berms after the rain
IMG_7262.jpg
hammering natural rock into the surface, followed by a fine layer of soil to hold it.
thelongwalk

Postby gristle on Tue 26/Mar/13 8:52pm

There won't be an organised dig on this Sunday as people are away. We might leave a couple of tools out for those that HAVE to dig... Have a good Easter.
gristle
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby properzel on Tue 26/Mar/13 9:03pm

Yup, let's have a Sunday off and ride our bikes instead, huh!?

Thanks for Rachel, Kristy and Thomas mastering a very tricky section of trail today and taking out massive mahoes.
properzel
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby thelongwalk on Mon 8/Apr/13 7:44pm

The recent rain has meant we can build berms and lay down a bit of natural gravel.
We're close to the switchback but doing some quality assurance work.

Thanks on Wednesday to Christy, Rachel, Craig, Andrew and Stuart for helping out.
On Sunday Christy again turned up for a long dig with Derek and Ali smashing some rock for 30 minutes.

Dig times will be the same all winter -Wednesday 1230-2pm and Sunday 1-4.
Don't be shy, even 30 minutes is really appreciated. Cheers
019.JPG
IMG_7360.jpg
thelongwalk

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts