2013 Brevets, Endurance Races???

Postby SurlyriderSam on Mon 26/Nov/12 12:39pm

Hi All
Just seeing if any one new of any Brevet/Bikepacking Style events coming up in 2013
The Kiwi Brevets is Bi annually so 2014 is its next
But I thought The Great Southern Brevet was suppose to fill its gap every second year?

Any info on these events or similar ones would be much appreciated

Cheers Sam
SurlyriderSam
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: 2013 Brevets, Endurance Races???

Postby znomit on Mon 26/Nov/12 7:34pm

znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Mon 26/Nov/12 8:55pm

Any vorbii do Le Petite Brevet last weekend?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby jja37 on Tue 27/Nov/12 7:13am

Yeah. Twas a grand ol hill ride. the leggs are suffering from induring the downhill jarring. just like the feeling you get from a downhill or mountain run. Maybe some downhill running would be a good idea before the next one. I slept and it seemed a relatively unpopular choice among the finishers. The best flowy gravel rd was along Busso Rd before the Jubilee rd descent to wainui. The flat along the ocean at wainui on the seal afterward was very picturesque. The Summit rd section after Camerons track to purple peak track and down the track was wicked after the long grunty slog out of Okaines bay. Only a short downhill carry.
No suspension and large wheels with furious freds worked fine and was great uphill. Just need to condition the legs a bit for the shock treatment :)
32T sprocket to rear spread of 12-36 was great. Spun out on steep descents but no bother. The granny was actually quite fast but any slower and you may as well be walking strongly. 25.3 gear inches 73.8 at the top end. My approach is either - at worst - walk strongly or - when tired - fall asleep in a hay barn rather than sleep while walking. I sleep very easily.
The Calculation of inches allows for wheel size differences. Its a (comparable) real measure - correct me if wrong. http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches Can use meters too.
Seems the old 22t ring x 28 7-speed granny combo was 20.5 inches (on the old 26inch mtb) and that was doable up Worsley climbs fresh. A standard 22t (triple front rings) x 32 is 17.9 inches on a 26inch wit 1.95" tires

So it seems you don't need quite the same range of gears for a brevet as you would doing technical mtb riding. Easy gears get you nowhere when you could give the body a change of muscle action, and hard ones only need be as hard as you can push on the flat for any sustained period. Going out around the rail trail and into town again the 73.8 was adequate at what i would guess was 35km/hr and not quite spinning.

Handlebar bag (ortleib) and a big saddle bag and cycle shirt pockets were ample...did skimp on the camping supplies with a light fleece blanket. Cold in chch
jja37
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Thu 29/Nov/12 7:19am

Hi Brevet people.
I'm keen to ride Petit Brevet next year and maybe the Kiwi Brevet in 2014.
I need to buy a new cycle computer in the next couple of weeks and was wandering if a GPS unit is a big adavantage over a standard bike computer for these events?
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Thu 29/Nov/12 8:04am

noel_whiteside wrote:Hi Brevet people.
I'm keen to ride Petit Brevet next year and maybe the Kiwi Brevet in 2014.
I need to buy a new cycle computer in the next couple of weeks and was wandering if a GPS unit is a big adavantage over a standard bike computer for these events?

If you have not ridden the route before a proper GPS could be a big advantage in not getting lost. In the petite I did lots of riders were getting lost when there was a white-out, and most of those later abandoned.

A smartphone GPS would require maps to be preloaded as there's no cell coverage out there, and also would need approx one battery per 12 hours depending on how thirsty the device is when running GPS apps. Therefore a dedicated GPS would be better in these cases (although you can't google for a pie shop on one of those :p )

Might see you in 2014 ;)
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Peploe on Thu 29/Nov/12 8:46pm

I'm organising a bike packing style event on 30/31 March 2013 in the Raglan/Waitomo area. It's just two days so is designed to be an introduction to touring-style riding. You can check out more details on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weekender/464763613545111. The ride will be about 300km, mostly gravel roads and will travel from raglan to Waitomo (staying in Waitomo for the night) then back to Raglan on (mostly) different roads.

I understand there's also a four day event called Te Tawhio O Whanganui in February 2013 that looks like a great ride. There are more details about that event elsewhere on Vorb.

Cheers,
Matthew
Peploe
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby stealth mode on Fri 30/Nov/12 6:25am

Peploe wrote:I'm organising a bike packing style event on 30/31 March 2013 in the Raglan/Waitomo area. It's just two days so is designed to be an introduction to touring-style riding. You can check out more details on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weekender/464763613545111. The ride will be about 300km, mostly gravel roads and will travel from raglan to Waitomo (staying in Waitomo for the night) then back to Raglan on (mostly) different roads.

I understand there's also a four day event called Te Tawhio O Whanganui in February 2013 that looks like a great ride. There are more details about that event elsewhere on Vorb.

Cheers,
Matthew

sounds good Matt, I could be a starter....... similar to Sifter and Simons spring mission a couple of weeks back

SurlyriderSam wrote:Hi All
Just seeing if any one new of any Brevet/Bikepacking Style events coming up in 2013
The Kiwi Brevets is Bi annually so 2014 is its next
But I thought The Great Southern Brevet was suppose to fill its gap every second year?

Any info on these events or similar ones would be much appreciated

Cheers Sam

Hey Sam, where are you based?
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby disoriented on Fri 30/Nov/12 9:21pm

Godzone :thumbsup: , you did say endurance,
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Simonk on Sat 1/Dec/12 9:45pm

For info on the Kiwi Brevet, check out:

http://www.kiwibrevet.blogspot.co.nz/

I'm keen on running the third Kiwi Brevet in the first full week of February 2014.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Adventure Racing | Cross Country Racing | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Multisport - Latest Posts