Keeping Shirts Wrinkle-free While Commuting?

Postby Conners on Wed 7/Nov/12 12:46pm

OK commuters, talk to me about how to keep shirts wrinkle free when stuffed (or should I say delicately folded) in a bag for commuting.
I’m guessing there has to be some hot tips out there, or do cycle-commuters just live in a wrinkly world while they’re at work?
Last edited by Conners on Wed 7/Nov/12 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Keeping Shirts Wrikle-free While Commuting?

Postby scatter on Wed 7/Nov/12 12:57pm

Somebody I know that flies planes for a living introduced me to this:
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folde ... 1091_c_211
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 7/Nov/12 1:14pm

Yeah, roll them instead of folding.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 7/Nov/12 1:20pm

I lay my shirts on it's side, so the seams match up on the left, buttons to the right (pretty sure it'll work the other ways round...). Back is folded inside. Both sleeves are folded down over the top of this. Then roll up lightly from the bottom. Trick is to roll/fold loosley so creases don't form, especially along the fold in the back panel, and not pack it in too tight into the backpack. Usually I'll bring 3 or so in at a time, so I don't have to ride with a backpack all the time.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Wed 7/Nov/12 1:34pm

I have found that owning the company and setting a dress code of shorts and t shirts is by far the easiest solution.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 7/Nov/12 1:50pm

Get your work to buy an iron and ironing board, which they do if they truely support support sustainable transport
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Wed 7/Nov/12 1:55pm

Awesome -thanks for the replies all, some good suggestions in there.

ChumlyPogward wrote:I have found that owning the company and setting a dress code of shorts and t shirts is by far the easiest solution.

:lol:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby yak71 on Wed 7/Nov/12 2:15pm

Careful shirt shopping. Buy shirts that dont require ironing, or are less prone to wrinkling. I've got some cheaper fabric ones which are my go to shirts for stuffing in my commuter bag. They dont really need ironing and still look good for the office. Make sure to get a decent colour and pattern too as some look worse than others. IMO I dont reckon you can tell that they're cheapies either. :paranoid:
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 7/Nov/12 3:03pm

Perhaps try wearing your business shirt under your bib? A litlle sweaty maybe, but the top half of the bib should keep it wrinkle free. I've never tried this though, because I care about how I look.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Slim on Wed 7/Nov/12 3:19pm

yak71 wrote:Careful shirt shopping. Buy shirts that dont require ironing, or are less prone to wrinkling. I've got some cheaper fabric ones which are my go to shirts for stuffing in my commuter bag. They dont really need ironing and still look good for the office. Make sure to get a decent colour and pattern too as some look worse than others. IMO I dont reckon you can tell that they're cheapies either. :paranoid:

Iron free shirts are a crock of shit, they always look like they have been worn before.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Wed 7/Nov/12 3:27pm

Slim wrote:
yak71 wrote:Careful shirt shopping. Buy shirts that dont require ironing, or are less prone to wrinkling. I've got some cheaper fabric ones which are my go to shirts for stuffing in my commuter bag. They dont really need ironing and still look good for the office. Make sure to get a decent colour and pattern too as some look worse than others. IMO I dont reckon you can tell that they're cheapies either. :paranoid:

Iron free shirts are a crock of shit, they always look like they have been worn before.

Yeh, but some fabrics are much better than others at staying wrinkle free. High quality japanese made cotton shirt fabric stays wrinkle free a lot longer than cheaper stuff.

Do you have a shower at work Connors. Sometimes hanging the shirt on a hanger in the steam while you take a shower will get some of the wrinkles to fall out...

I used to drive to work about once a week and change my stash of shirts for clean and ironed ones. Then I changed jobs to somewhere that I turn up in shorts and t-shirts. So nice not having to wear work shirts!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Colin on Wed 7/Nov/12 3:58pm

What works for me

* Not folding the shirt straight after ironing
* Not folding the shirt until just before I'm ready leave
* I follow a folding patern similar to the video in Scatter link, without the folding board
* Shirt, jocks, sox go flat into a supermarket bag for protecting should it piss with rain / my lunch escape from it's container / aliens shit in my back pack
* This backpack has wide flat opening - flat folded shirt slides easily in and remains flat http://www.macpac.nl/product/commuter-28/
* About 90 mins after being folding, I'm putting the shirt on
* Careful handling and loose packing minimise the number and seriousness of creases
* Used to subscribe to the hanging in the steamy bathroom to remove creases theory: Now use body heat - 30 mins is plenty
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby slumdog on Wed 7/Nov/12 4:10pm

Some good tips. Because I am a lazy arse, I only buy Polyester/cotton mix shirts. They crease less than 100% cotton, and go straight in a dryer (as long as haven't been crushed into super creases under a whole lot of washing). Having artificial fibre can make them a tad more whiffy though.

Second, I fold mine vertically down the button line so the shoulders move forward to touch each other. I fold the arms together down one side of this and straighten the angles by hand to minimise any possible creases. Then I roll the collar/top down to the bottom hem. I put in the top of my pannier.

Generally the body heat straightens any creases that do result, aided by the rolling minimising them, and the fabric itself.

Good luck.
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Wed 7/Nov/12 4:23pm

Yip, showers at work Zane so could give the steamy steamy a try. Although based on Colin's comments maybe not.

Current plan is to ride say 3 days per week, so plenty of scope for ferrying shirts to/from in bulk lots - but these still need to be transported somehow! I hate riding with a big backpack (communting on the roadie currently, and to be fair my bigger backpack isn't really suited to riding), so ferrying would get around that problem as well.

I love it when Vorb pops up loads of useful info :thumbsup:
Even if it is about wrikles rather than wrinkles... :blush:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Re: Keeping Shirts Wrinkle-free While Commuting?

Postby Colin on Wed 7/Nov/12 4:58pm

Hanging near the steamy shower works - I'm just too lazy /not worried enough to bother
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Ashburton | Australia | BMX Riding | Canterbury | Climbing | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Dirt Jumping (BMX) | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | Music | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts